Author Topic: How do you Podcatch?  (Read 842 times)

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
How do you Podcatch?
« on: December 01, 2016, 07:58:21 PM »
This is so frustrating to me.
I've been listening to Podcasts for years, the early days. I pretty much haven't' changed how I download or listen in all that time. but this has gotten more and more frustrating for me. I'm not an Apple person. I've never owned an iPod, iPad, iPhone (although I was assigned one for work), iWhatever. So I've always downloaded podcasts not from the iTunes store, but from RSS feeds. It is becoming more and more difficult to find the RSS feed for podcasts on their websites, the meta data that's included with the file sucks as far as my MP3 player is concerned (everything is now an "unknown album", "unknown aritst"), the file names are a joke.
I use Gpodder to download the MP3s and upload them to my Player once a week, so I'm always 7 days behind on whats going on.

I feel like this technology has moved passed me. I was once on the cutting edge and now I've been moved to the 99 cent bin.

How am I supposed to be listening to podcasts now?
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
Re: How do you Podcatch?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 08:03:25 PM »
I'd recommend a podcatching app such as Podbay or Pocketcast.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 08:35:02 PM »
What kind of device are you listening on?

I use iCatcher on my iPhone.  It has a built-in catalog in which you can find pretty much any podcast and add its RSS feed.  Metadata seems perfectly fine to me, and everything downloads automatically.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 10:08:04 PM »
You don't have to be an Apple user to use iTunes.

I know people dis on it, but it is the easiest way to find, subscribe and download podcasts to your device that I personally have used and unless a podcast is very new, it has almost everything available.

I will admit that using iTunes on an iMac and having an iPod as my player means I am getting the best possible experience that Apple has designed it all for.

But iTunes on Windows isn't terrible. Based on my limited use of it on a friend's computer.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 02:21:30 AM »
I use Downcast on my iPhone. It allows searching and adding podcasts automatically, as well as finding earlier epoisodes. It also allows manually adding podcasts by RSS feed if that's what you want to do. That's how I get the premium version of SGU.

Offline ShadowSot

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 04:23:53 AM »
I use Beyond Pod. Decent catalogue to it, fairly intuitive.
 Though I've found a couple of podcasts that require pod bean to download or similar.
“I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.”
 - Richard Feynman

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 04:46:11 AM »
I use Pocket Casts on my Android phone and it hasn't failed me yet. Good interface, controls, great search function... I have no complaints whatsoever.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 06:57:34 AM »
I've been listening to Podcasts for years, the early days. I pretty much haven't' changed how I download or listen in all that time. but this has gotten more and more frustrating for me. I'm not an Apple person. I've never owned an iPod, iPad, iPhone (although I was assigned one for work), iWhatever. So I've always downloaded podcasts not from the iTunes store, but from RSS feeds. It is becoming more and more difficult to find the RSS feed for podcasts on their websites, the meta data that's included with the file sucks as far as my MP3 player is concerned (everything is now an "unknown album", "unknown aritst"), the file names are a joke.
I use Gpodder to download the MP3s and upload them to my Player once a week, so I'm always 7 days behind on whats going on.

I feel like this technology has moved passed me. I was once on the cutting edge and now I've been moved to the 99 cent bin.

Youtube.

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 09:23:19 AM »

You may have to accept that technology has indeed moved past you and adopt newer technology. You've said that you don't have Apple anything, but you didn't say what you do have. If you have Windows, you can run iTunes. It's free.

Really, I don't know much about computer stuff but there are folks here that do, but they cannot help you if you don't tell them what hardware you do have, and what OS.

I have Apple stuff. I used to use iTunes to download my podcasts and like you, put them on my player from time to time. But when I lost my old (ancient) iPod and had to get a new one with the newer iOS version, I was able to run iCatcher, and now the app downloads all my podcasts without having to connect to iTunes or the computer. It gets them directly off the internet via my Wi-Fi. I have no idea how it does what it does, but I just search for a podcast name and tell it to subscribe.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 10:01:57 AM »
Yeah, the essential missing piece of information here is what kind of device you want to listen to your podcasts on.  If you have a dumb mp3 player that you have to drag-and-drop files onto and that isn't playlist aware, you're limited in what you can do.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 06:50:49 PM »
Yeah, the essential missing piece of information here is what kind of device you want to listen to your podcasts on.  If you have a dumb mp3 player that you have to drag-and-drop files onto and that isn't playlist aware, you're limited in what you can do.

That's exactly what I have, a little Sansa clip MP3 player. I don't have a smart phone, so phone apps are out. I was frustrated last night because I went to add a new podcast to gpodder but could not for the life of me find the RSS feed on their website. it's the "My History Can Beat Up Your Politics"  https://myhistorycanbeatupyourpolitics.wordpress.com/

I did find it by doing a google search, but that's when it occurred to me that I'm just not doing it the way any one else is.

I used iTunes on windows for a good long while, then a software update blew away my entire podcast list, and I said screw it, I'll find something else. I guess I should just resign myself to going back to the reason "pod" casts are called that at all, and give iTunes another try.
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 07:28:11 PM »
That's exactly what I have, a little Sansa clip MP3 player. I don't have a smart phone, so phone apps are out.

Here's the point where the technology moved past you.

I strongly recommend getting a smart phone.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 07:32:34 PM »
Or an iPod touch.  It's too bad they've never added WiFi to the Nano...

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 08:47:17 AM »
Yeah, an iPod Touch is a lot cheaper than a smartphone and will do podcasting just fine. It will do most of the things an iPhone does except make phone calls or anything requiring GPS or cell service. I mostly use mine for podcasting and music. (Since I had it long before I decided to get a smartphone. If my Touch died I would not replace it. I'd just use the phone.)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2016, 11:45:16 AM »
I download from soundcloud and copy to my mp3 for times when I cant use my phone.
Works pretty well.

personate-rain