Author Topic: Request  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Anders

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Request
« on: December 05, 2016, 01:20:57 PM »
I have come to the conclusion that I am not liberal enough for this forum. I therefore request that my account be terminated effective immediately.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline Ah.hell

Re: Request
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 01:28:01 PM »
That's too bad.  Dissent is important for a skeptics community.

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Double-Plus Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 01:43:09 PM »
We'd hate to see you go, Anders. Would you agree to a short grace period? I propose that if you still feel the same way on Wednesday, we'll set your account to inactive (we never delete accounts). If you decide to leave, but at any point of the future would like to come back, you could send us an email and we'd flick the relevant switch.

Edit: Obviously, if you really want it done now, I'll do it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 01:52:36 PM by Louie »
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 03:40:18 PM »
 :(
You want data?  My pie charts are made with a secret family recipe, my relationship charts stay committed even through tough times, and my line charts will get get high as fuck!

Offline Anders

• Deleted
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 09:11:33 AM »
Yes, I'm certain. It has reached the point where I feel actively worse when I visit the forums, yet I can't not do it. I agree that dissent is valuable, but I'm not the person to do it. I would urge everyone to look at their political biases - why not take the Implicit Assocation Test for politics and how that affects the atmosphere of the forum. If a conservative came to me and asked if I could recommend this forum as a place where their voice could be heard and their views respected (not necessarily shared, but respected), I could in all honesty not recommend this forum. There really is an invisible "you must be this liberal to enter" sign here.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” Charles Darwin

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 11:11:34 AM »
Yes, I'm certain. It has reached the point where I feel actively worse when I visit the forums, yet I can't not do it. I agree that dissent is valuable, but I'm not the person to do it. I would urge everyone to look at their political biases - why not take the Implicit Assocation Test for politics and how that affects the atmosphere of the forum. If a conservative came to me and asked if I could recommend this forum as a place where their voice could be heard and their views respected (not necessarily shared, but respected), I could in all honesty not recommend this forum. There really is an invisible "you must be this liberal to enter" sign here.

I think the sign really says "You must be skeptical or open to skepticism" to enter here. Liberal anti-science views are as enthusiastically attacked here as are conservative anti-science views. The problem, I think, is not an anti-conservative bias, as much as the fact that here in the U.S., the conservative political ideology has been hijacked by the fundamentalist Christian ideology, which is deeply anti-science.

The liberal anti-science Food Babe is as vociferously excoriated here as are the climate-change deniers. And the orange baboon is excoriated, not for being conservative, or even for being a capitalist, but for being an anti-science racist bigot and a demagogue. With very few exceptions, the people here who voted for Clinton only did so because she was the lesser of evils.

This community values evidence more than any ideology.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 11:22:36 AM »
I would echo some of Daniel's thoughts.

I quite liked reading your posts.  Any topic started by you was at the very LEAST interesting.

I would say you should probably shop around and then see if you want to come back. 

This forum is far from perfect, but for the general discussions covered, it's more open and well informed than any other to which I've been exposed.

For example, ever check out the JREF Forums?  F*cking hell.  What a mess.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:33:49 AM by stonesean »
Well.  There it is.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 11:28:02 AM »

I think the sign really says "You must be skeptical or open to skepticism" to enter here. Liberal anti-science views are as enthusiastically attacked here as are conservative anti-science views. The problem, I think, is not an anti-conservative bias, as much as the fact that here in the U.S., the conservative political ideology has been hijacked by the fundamentalist Christian ideology, which is deeply anti-science.

The liberal anti-science Food Babe is as vociferously excoriated here as are the climate-change deniers. And the orange baboon is excoriated, not for being conservative, or even for being a capitalist, but for being an anti-science racist bigot and a demagogue. With very few exceptions, the people here who voted for Clinton only did so because she was the lesser of evils.

This community values evidence more than any ideology.

*Chortle*  In other words, "It's all in your head Anders!"
You want data?  My pie charts are made with a secret family recipe, my relationship charts stay committed even through tough times, and my line charts will get get high as fuck!

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 11:35:21 AM »
And I in turn would exhort you to actually argue points and not passively aggressively snipe at people. If you're not interested in doing this, then I have to (sadly) agree that no, this forum probably isn't the right one for you. Yes, this is a place with a pretty strong liberal bias and that means that if anything you probably have to be better behaved in this regard than the average lib because often you're the only person making the points that you're making. But not only have you not been doing this, no offense, you've been going out of your way, it seems, to avoid making points and instead make "jokes" and then pretend to get offended when people don't find these "jokes" (which are usually just passive aggressive remarks) all that funny. It's also worth noting that your current hobby horse is a perceived issue that *you have no experience with*. No offense, but you're not an American and you have never to my knowledge stepped foot on a US college campus let alone gone to college here. Speaking as someone who not only has done so but has a liberal arts major (which involves hanging out with people who take those "women's studies" style courses that conservatives rail on so much), the conservative framing of this issue is simply not accurate, and frankly an awful lot of us don't particularly appreciate you Europe-splaining things to us.

I also understand that people generally don't want to go to places where they feel bad and if that does mean you want to leave, then I'll be sorry to see you go. When you're not being a passive aggressive, mansplaining git, you're a pretty swell person to be around.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Double-Plus Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 12:10:39 PM »

All right, mate, I'll set the wheels in motion. Be well, and we hope to see you again. Door's always open.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Online 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 12:52:24 PM »
I find it easier to comment on something I disagree with, than on what I agree with. If you have a minority opinion on something, it might end up appearing as a lot more in minority than it really is, out of the totality of readers.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 09:37:21 AM »
Sorry to see you go.

Also sorry to see tone policying messages in an "I can't take this anymore. I quit" thread. Ever vigilant.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 09:40:01 AM by SnarlPatrick »
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 09:42:29 AM »
Sorry to see you go.

Also sorry to see tone policying messages in an "I can't take this anymore. I quit" thread. Ever vigilant.
The ironing, it is delicious...
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 10:23:32 AM »
Sorry to see you go.

The ironing, it is delicious...

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 11:31:21 AM »
That's a shame.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain
personate-rain