Author Topic: Rate the last book you just read  (Read 57064 times)

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
  • more naive and foolish than people realise
Re: Rate the last book you just read
« Reply #795 on: December 28, 2016, 11:26:50 AM »
The Vegetarian by Han Kang

An extraordinary novel in 3 parts about opting out of familial and societal expectations and constraints. About control and obsession and desire, set in contemporary South Korea. Really good, with a very strong Marakami favour.

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #796 on: December 28, 2016, 03:26:25 PM »
Paul Beatty - The Sellout

Caustic, abrasive racial satire set in North America. Slick and witty and hilarious.

Cosign! Powerful, sad, funny... satire that evokes so many dissonant emotions.

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
« Reply #797 on: January 08, 2017, 12:34:09 PM »
Eileen by Otessa Moshfegh

Great novel about a young woman who is profoundly lonely and cares for her alcoholic father, works on a boys prison and is an ace shoplifter. A sophisticated charismatic person joins the prison staff and sets off a chain of events culminating in the protagonist committing a crime and leaving town for good.

Darkly funny.
Profoundly insightful into the condition of loneliness.

Online drwfishesman

• Well Established
  • Occasional Forum Necromancer
« Reply #798 on: January 09, 2017, 09:24:31 AM »

An extraordinary novel in 3 parts about opting out of familial and societal expectations and constraints. About control and obsession and desire, set in contemporary South Korea. Really good, with a very strong Marakami favour.

Just added to my queue of books to get. I've heard it is one of the best stories about hopelessness in modern writing.
"When one has a limited ability or desire to think, one must fiercely defend the thoughts already had. You never know when the next one will come." Andrew Bridges

Offline petrolpetal

• Well Established
« Reply #799 on: January 09, 2017, 11:04:41 AM »

Just added to my queue of books to get. I've heard it is one of the best stories about hopelessness in modern writing.

Yeah. It was strongly Kafka-esque too.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #800 on: January 09, 2017, 07:07:45 PM »
This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things 7/10
A book on trolls by an anthropologist.
She spent considerable time amongst them and highlights the issues with trusting them, its half history and half analysis which posits that trolling is more a part of our culture and history than many would like to concede. She goes on to highlight possible strategies for dealing with trolls.
Its ok. To be honest I was somewhat surprised by the abrupt end (the book is 40℅ footnotes) and dont feel like it really said much in the end.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #801 on: January 10, 2017, 08:54:13 AM »
This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things 7/10
A book on trolls by an anthropologist.
She spent considerable time amongst them and highlights the issues with trusting them, its half history and half analysis which posits that trolling is more a part of our culture and history than many would like to concede. She goes on to highlight possible strategies for dealing with trolls.
Its ok. To be honest I was somewhat surprised by the abrupt end (the book is 40℅ footnotes) and dont feel like it really said much in the end.

Damn.  This was on my shopping list too....
Well.  There it is.

personate-rain
personate-rain