Author Topic: Should I get a kindle and which one?  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
Re: Should I get a kindle and which one?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 02:38:45 PM »
I wonder if anyone else has had any problems with the Kindle Paperwhite.

I've experienced a few software glitches,where my Kindle would repeatedly display a loading bar and restart (not updates). Other times, it would stop displaying books I'd added to it, although they'd still be accessible through the search function. In all of these cases restoring factory settings did the trick.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 05:01:45 PM »

I've experienced a few software glitches,where my Kindle would repeatedly display a loading bar and restart (not updates). Other times, it would stop displaying books I'd added to it, although they'd still be accessible through the search function. In all of these cases restoring factory settings did the trick.

Unfortunately, the only way I know how to restore factory settings in the Paperwhite is via the touch screen. And since the touchscreen on mine would not respond to any touches, there was nothing I could do. It's back at Amazon now and presumably they'll send me a new one, though if they can repair mine that's okay, too. Meanwhile I'm reading from the Kindle app on my iPad Air. A little bulkier and heavier than the Paperwhite, but not a big deal.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 07:26:51 PM »
I have a kindle fire (Got as a gift) and up hacking around some of the features in order to get it to do what I want.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline BilLumberg

• Off to a Start
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »
A bit late with this, but might help someone else. For reading, the e-ink displays are the way to go, but they are really should be considered strictly for reading. I have a nook simple touch at work, and have gone through two kindle paperwhites at home. If you have enough light to read a book you won't need the light, but I do find it nice. E-ink is great for reading outside in the sun as well, no issues with screen glare. The one thing that the nook has that I wished the kindles had are the physical buttons for turning the pages. The newer kindle voyage has them. Makes it easier because you can hold it with one hand and still turn the pages. Maybe I am just lazy. The e-readers are nice if you read multiple books at once. Many libraries also support them. My library will send the book directly to a kindle using wifi.

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 10:29:15 AM »
I've had my Paperwhite for just under two months. The operation of it is a little less pleasing than the Kindle app, but that's a minor detail. What I like about it, and what's made it my main e-book reading device, is its small size and light weight. It's easier to hold than the iPad, and doesn't need to be as big as the iPad, since it's just for reading text.

About a week ago the battery started running down faster. Instead of lasting five days, it lasted two, with about the same amount of use. Then a few times, when I powered the screen on, it took something like a full minute to turn on. And last night the screen stopped responding entirely. The power button turns the screen light on and off, but the screen does not respond to touches or swipes, making the device as good as dead.

I called the customer service line and spoke to a woman with a heavy accent (sounded Asian) who wanted me to plug it into my computer and run something on the Terminal. I refused. I'm not going to start typing into the Terminal at the request of a phone service rep. So she transferred me to a tech who sounded like he is from Vermont. At least I could understand him. After I explained the issue he looked up my purchase and activation dates, and offered me a replacement Paperwhite, which is what I wanted. He emailed me a link to a return label. I dropped the Kindle off at UPS and Amazon will send me another.

In the meantime I'll be reading from the Kindle app on my iPad, which is fine.

I thought Amazon was going to send me a replacement Paperwhite. Instead, they sent me an email saying that they fixed mine, and are sending it back. I guess that's okay if it's really fixed. Expected to arrive tomorrow. I may have to download my books all over again, which is not a problem because I just download them when I buy them or when I want to re-read one, and remove them after. Though I did have a few new ones and I'll have to figure out what books I've bought and not read yet.

My biggest concern is that before the screen quit responding, the battery started going down too fast. If that was software, it may be fixed. If the battery is defective, it may still be defective. I'll be tracking battery level to see. I'm hoping they didn't just re-boot it, if a defective battery was really at the root of the problem.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 06:18:26 PM »
My Paperwhite came back yesterday, and they turned off the advertising (a.k.a. "special offers") which is nice. I wasn't about to pay $20 for that, but since they seem to have decided to give it to me (as compensation for having to have it repaired?) I'm pleased with that. Now I don't have to swipe through the ad screen when I turn it on. It just goes directly to my current book. I had to set all my settings again, but that's no really big deal. I didn't mind reading on the iPad in the meantime, but the Paperwhite is easier to hold for being smaller and lighter.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain