Author Topic: Periodically deleting Facebook account?  (Read 894 times)

Offline Smooth

• Not Enough Spare Time
Periodically deleting Facebook account?
« on: December 08, 2016, 12:07:59 PM »
Hi skeptics.

After the shock of the election, I am becoming more alarmed at the potential for a far right-wing Fed to mine social media for 'Unamerican Activities'.  Of course this may sound alarmist and paranoid, but you know what? History repeats itself, and our species tendency is toward autocracy.

Is it a waste of time to delete a Facebook account?  Does this do anything for my privacy from peering eyes? My settings are already set to Friends Only, but as we know FB mines everything we ever put up there to sell us to advertisers.  I also figure after deleting, I can set up another account and keep the posts to Happy Birthday, and congrats...

Of course, I can't delete myself from the ACLU donors db, nor the DNC database, etc., but with people shooting up pizza places, and my friends kids being attacked on school buses for being jewish is all the warning I need to start thinking about the unthinkable.

Thanks for being here.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
Re: Periodically deleting Facebook account?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 12:10:16 PM »
Nope, they made a change about 2 years ago that doesn't allow you to prevent searching for your account.  Not sure about your reasoning, but there are many other good reasons not to be on social media like Facebook.  Since the Microsoft acquisition I've been debating leaving LinkedIn as well. 
You want data?  My pie charts are made with a secret family recipe, my relationship charts stay committed even through tough times, and my line charts will get get high as fuck!

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 01:49:03 PM »
You can't actually delete your Facebook account. All you can do is deactivate it. Contractually, they own all the information you post. They'll let you set it to inactive so that your friends don't see your posts anymore, but Facebook itself still has everything. And when the government mines data, they keep what they've found, so even if you could delete your Facebook account, the government would still have all the information you posted while you were on.

Personally, I don't think you're going to get in trouble for your "un-American" activities like donating to the ACLU. And the people who commit hate crimes probably just go by what you look like, not your actual activities.

If the orange baboon decides to round people up into concentration camps, it's more likely to be ethnic minorities than white middle-class liberals. If you are a minority, I'd be very scared.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 03:10:09 PM »
Contractually, they own all the information you post.

This is not true, actually.  You've given them limited (though broad) license to use it, but you retain the copyright in everything you post on Facebook, alarmist memes and "I hereby declare..." reposts notwithstanding.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 03:45:27 PM »
Hi skeptics.

After the shock of the election, I am becoming more alarmed at the potential for a far right-wing Fed to mine social media for 'Unamerican Activities'.  Of course this may sound alarmist and paranoid, but you know what? History repeats itself, and our species tendency is toward autocracy.

Is it a waste of time to delete a Facebook account?  Does this do anything for my privacy from peering eyes? My settings are already set to Friends Only, but as we know FB mines everything we ever put up there to sell us to advertisers.  I also figure after deleting, I can set up another account and keep the posts to Happy Birthday, and congrats...

Of course, I can't delete myself from the ACLU donors db, nor the DNC database, etc., but with people shooting up pizza places, and my friends kids being attacked on school buses for being jewish is all the warning I need to start thinking about the unthinkable.

Thanks for being here.
Hi!

I would rather not let our reactions contribute to the destruction of even more important institutions.

What have we been seeing for the last 30 years?
Claims of media bias make it seem normal for Fox to become a wing of Republicanism.
Claims that CNN was in the pocket of the Clinton campaign made it seem normal for the head of Breitbart to head the Trump team, and for the head of Fox to become an advisor.

Claims that sharia law is being enforced makes it seem reasonable to make Christianity a focus of state activity for fundamentalists.

Claims that liberals are intolerant of disagreement more than any other selection of human beings made it seem justified for the alt right to engage in online harassment and threats.

I'd rather not act like the rule of law and the strength of our constitutional freedoms are already gone entirely, because that will make it seem inevitable, or even normal if and when those are actually broken.

If you feel that the Trump administration may deprive people of rights, now is the time to donate more to the ACLU, not less.
Remember that Trump was elected with the enthusiastic support of maybe 15-30% of the population.
His vote share was smaller than his opponent's, who happened to be the second least popular candidate in history (behind him).
Less than half the people voted. Less than half of those voted for Trump.
And a slight majority of the people who did vote for him did so despite being wishing it was almost anyone else (as long as he wasn't Hillary satanic child sex email server serial murderer Clinton).

I think we may well be in for a rough few years. But the Night of Knives (or Day of Rope) really isn't in it.
We're due for at least a few decades of clashing with fascists before they truly have the juice for something like that.

In the meantime, Trump's administration may violate some rights rounding up immigrants, or it may not, we have to be right on top of it if that happens (ACLU)
His administration may try to nationalize stop and frisk, we have to, city by city, call bullshit on that.

Remember that the vast majority of violations against American's rights happen at local levels.

Under the Trump administration, the federal government may or may not prove to be a hindrance to efforts to oppose that rather than an ally, but that doesn't mean the fight is hopeless.
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 08:06:15 PM »
Umm.  Guys yes, you can actually DELETE your Facebook account

https://m.facebook.com/help/224562897555674?helpref=uf_permalink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#notarealskeptic

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 08:47:03 PM »
I've been advised to either delete or deactivate my account by my legal team. I did so (deactivated) about 2 years ago. Several of my friends have said they've searched for me and can't find me. Take that for what it's worth.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 08:55:02 PM »
I've been advised to either delete or deactivate my account by my legal team. I did so (deactivated) about 2 years ago. Several of my friends have said they've searched for me and can't find me. Take that for what it's worth.

Do you mind my inquiring as to why?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 09:02:58 PM »

I'm in litigation. My lawyers said the defense will dig up ANYTHING to disprove your case. My lead attorney said in one such case a woman claimed that a failed medical procedure affected her quality of life. The defense dug up Facebook pictures of her on vacation in the Bahamas laughing and drinking and having a good time. She lost her case.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 09:06:25 PM »
Ah, I can understand that.  I thought maybe this was a more general recommendation.

Online Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 08:42:31 AM »

I'm in litigation. My lawyers said the defense will dig up ANYTHING to disprove your case. My lead attorney said in one such case a woman claimed that a failed medical procedure affected her quality of life. The defense dug up Facebook pictures of her on vacation in the Bahamas laughing and drinking and having a good time. She lost her case.

Once prosecuted a guy who insisted up and down that he never used drugs, never ever ever. His Facebook profile picture was him doing crack...

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 09:03:29 AM »
There was a podcast (I forget which one) in which a reporter, with his friend's permission, got into the guy's bank account using only information available on the guy's Facebook page. The reporter phoned the bank, claimed to be the guy, said he'd lost or forgotten his password. They asked him some identifying questions, and he answered them using information the guy had put on his Facebook page. Once the reporter had the password, he logged in to the guy's bank account.

The project ended there. But had he been an actual thief, he could have emptied the guy's bank account. I don't know who would be liable in that case. Possibly the bank would make good once you establish your identity and show that a hacker had stolen the money. Assuming you could convince them that it was a hacker and not yourself that moved the money in a plot to scam the bank.

There are probably other ways a hacker could get the personal information needed to spoof your identity, but Facebook certainly makes it a lot easier when people just post it like that. And openly admitting to breaking the law when you're posting under your own name seems rather reckless.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 09:15:46 AM »
I've got my Facebook account pretty well locked down for that reason.

Online Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 10:00:55 AM »
There was a podcast (I forget which one) in which a reporter, with his friend's permission, got into the guy's bank account using only information available on the guy's Facebook page.

Question: Did the "Friend" use only information he had made publicly visible or was his friend logged into his own Facebook account and therefore could see what this guy shared with his Facebook friends.

There's a BIG difference between someone finding stuff you've "shared" on Facebook if they aren't logged in or aren't your friend (and hence can only see what you've chosen to share publicly) vs. someone who is logged in and is your Friend.

Offline Enkidu Shamesh

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 12:30:57 PM »

Once prosecuted a guy who insisted up and down that he never used drugs, never ever ever. His Facebook profile picture was him doing crack...

I support across the board decriminalization of what I see as a public health issue more than a criminal one, but . . . I know, we can't make stupidity illegal, but sometimes I wish we could.