Author Topic: Episode #596  (Read 3568 times)

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: Episode #596
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2016, 04:51:53 PM »
I usually hate people bumping old episode threads, but I thought it was worth pointing this out.  Today I caught a few minutes of Radiolab on NPR rather than in podcast form, and was shocked to hear Exxon Mobile was one of their sponsors.  There was some a plug for some specific innovation program that Exxon was participating in and encouraged listeners to check it out.

Now if your mission as a podcast is to promote "innovation" or "curiosity", sure, this is an appropriate sponsor.  Radiolab's shift away from being a pure science program makes this choice a little less sinful, but good God, there are few companies you could choose with a worse track record of promoting honest science and skepticism.  They were the bread and butter of the climate denial movement for almost two decades, and are now trying to whitewash their history of funding right-wing think tanks.  Regardless of any good work they are doing right now, I wouldn't want to associate my podcast with them until they'd truly atoned for their mistakes.

So let's be happy the worst we have to put up with is Jay touting Harry's Razors. 

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2016, 04:54:12 PM »
Yeah... as much as I don't care about the advertisements the SGU have now, that would be crossing a line.
Mooohn!

Online daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2016, 05:50:17 PM »
I usually hate people bumping old episode threads, but I thought it was worth pointing this out.  Today I caught a few minutes of Radiolab on NPR rather than in podcast form, and was shocked to hear Exxon Mobile was one of their sponsors.  There was some a plug for some specific innovation program that Exxon was participating in and encouraged listeners to check it out.

Now if your mission as a podcast is to promote "innovation" or "curiosity", sure, this is an appropriate sponsor.  Radiolab's shift away from being a pure science program makes this choice a little less sinful, but good God, there are few companies you could choose with a worse track record of promoting honest science and skepticism.  They were the bread and butter of the climate denial movement for almost two decades, and are now trying to whitewash their history of funding right-wing think tanks.  Regardless of any good work they are doing right now, I wouldn't want to associate my podcast with them until they'd truly atoned for their mistakes.

So let's be happy the worst we have to put up with is Jay touting Harry's Razors. 

Was it Radiolab or NPR that was taking Exxon sponsorship money? I keep meaning to check out Radiolab, but as of yet they're not yet in my podcast list.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Off to a Start
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2016, 10:01:04 PM »

Except if he's claiming to save you money he's omitting certain information. He's hawking a gussied up grocery store house brand plastic razor, nothing more. Very big deal in Holden Caulfield parlance. If I wanted to be a jerk I could tell you that I pay a fraction of what he pays because my razor takes replaceable metal blades same as what's used more commonly elsewhere and adopted by hipsters here. Blades are 19 cents each and they last just as long and shave just as well as what he's selling. Why are we talking shaving here at all except for the fact that Jay dabbles in it as a hired hand.

Advertisers reading their own copy as sponsors to podcasts is one thing but having skeptics step up to the plate and interpret someone else's insincerities gets me lathered.

I LOVE the SGU and that's why I'm a grouch on this topic.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 10:15:15 PM by DevoutCatalyst »

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2017, 10:30:54 AM »
Was it Radiolab or NPR that was taking Exxon sponsorship money? I keep meaning to check out Radiolab, but as of yet they're not yet in my podcast list.
If you do, start with the older eps, the show has really declined in quality over the years.

Online Sawyer

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2017, 02:32:04 PM »

Didn't see this question until it got bumped.

I'm not actually sure, although it sounded like Jad's voice.  I also have to admit there's a tiny possibility that it could have been something like "Plexon Global", since I could barely hear the radio at the other end of the house.

Or Hexxen Kobol?
Texan Blowhole?
 :laugh:

personate-rain
personate-rain