Author Topic: The Joe Rogan Shitshow  (Read 1118 times)

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
The Joe Rogan Shitshow
« on: December 10, 2016, 02:50:06 PM »
So a colleague recently told me he believes pizzagate because Joe Rogan said its true.
Yeah. He is a flippin idiot.
I have made my feelings on Rogan quite clear in the past (phenomenal fight commentator, fucking tool in most other regards) but I dont feel that even he would be this stupid. I was kind of wrong.
So I googled "Joe Rogan Pizzagate" and this video was more or less all I found

Its tough going, I never realised Eddie Bravo was such a crank! But Rogan doesnt quite come out and say he doesnt believe it, he gives a wishy washy answer to some guy (who was a pretty good skeltic actually!), to the effect that he hasnt looked into it but there is probably some truth in there somewhere.
Bravo goes on a rant about vaccines and operation Mockingbird and some other shite and Rogan doesnt tackle any of his points but rides the skeptic fairly hard.
Honestly, I was pretty disgusted, more so that he doesnt seem to have publicly rowed back on it since then (that I can find).
I just dont get why people support and defend this guy. So he is no longer a moon landing denier (I think?) But he told Cara he reckons we should bin governments and rule by twitter (he then defended the idea and doubled down), he has sold his own quack brain supplement and called  :steve: out for criticising his pet quackery, cryotherapy.

So this is more or less just a rant. Had any Joe Rogan fans here heard the linked piece before? Is there editing there or was more cleared up later?

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: The Joe Rogan Shitshow
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 10:26:24 PM »
From what I've seen, it just looks like Podesta was into freaky sex with some particularly out-there artist-types who frequented a pizza joint that doubled as an LGBT+ environment in the evenings. 

Edit: The pedo angle's basically just 'they used pizza-related coded language' and some of the involved parties having extremely weird pictures of kids on their social media (see: out-there artist-types). 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 10:31:43 PM by Soldier of FORTRAN »
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Online Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 05:19:01 AM »
Yeah, I mean there HAVE been government paedophile conspiracies in the UK. I dont think the concept is implausable, but Rogan (as usual) forces the question "Are you saying this specific concept is outright impossible?" And when the skeptic says no, he goes with "Well thats all Im saying. The truth is in the middle."
The guy is useless as a critical thinker, he is too used to a culture of bully tactics deciding who is right (a problem I find with both comedians and fighters)
The fact that Bravo is his personal coach I think is why theres so much deference, but jesus. That guy should not be on any show bar Alex Jones.

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 09:36:29 AM »
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »
http://ktla.com/2016/12/01/texas-cyberbully-victim-kills-herself-in-front-of-family-as-they-begged-teen-not-to-take-her-life/

A story of a girl who killed herself after cyber bullying. 

Why am I posting this here?

I think the OP and this story both relate to the same problem, tech evolves way faster than human evolution can keep up, and we are not well equipped to handle it, sometimes with disastrous. 

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 10:21:25 AM »
From what I've seen, it just looks like Podesta was into freaky sex with some particularly out-there artist-types who frequented a pizza joint that doubled as an LGBT+ environment in the evenings. 

Edit: The pedo angle's basically just 'they used pizza-related coded language' and some of the involved parties having extremely weird pictures of kids on their social media (see: out-there artist-types). 

No legitimate site I've found draws even the relatively tame conclusions you have.  On what do you base these conclusions?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 10:31:00 AM »
http://ktla.com/2016/12/01/texas-cyberbully-victim-kills-herself-in-front-of-family-as-they-begged-teen-not-to-take-her-life/

A story of a girl who killed herself after cyber bullying. 

Why am I posting this here?

I think the OP and this story both relate to the same problem, tech evolves way faster than human evolution can keep up, and we are not well equipped to handle it, sometimes with disastrous. 

I'm not sure it's a tech thing.  The 'Elite Pedo Rings' crowd recently got a shot in the arm from Epstein and Saville.  Epstein is a billionaire who likes underaged prostitutes.  After developing quite a reputation, he got busted and received a suspiciously light sentence.  Jimmy Saville's a grotesque case of a serial rapist with necrophilic and pedophilic tendencies who was at it for decades with cover from on high.  He was investigated posthumously. 

So now they feel pretty validating in thinking they're everywhere. 

No legitimate site I've found draws even the relatively tame conclusions you have.  On what do you base these conclusions?

Just the e-mails and their social media.  I didn't save any of it because I really didn't care, and their social media pages were zapped pretty quickly so it's all going down the memory hole anyways. 

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 10:37:42 AM »
You've personally read E-mails and social media posts that indicate Joe Podesta "was into freaky sex with some particularly out-there artist-types"?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 11:52:57 AM »
The most that I've seen is that said pizza place sometimes hosts live shows featuring punk bands. Some of those punk bands in the past have been genderqueer. This is literally the extent of actual evidence I've been able to get even when I confront alt-righters and ask them for relevant evidence of anything related to the supposed scandal.
If we don't discover the mistakes of the future we are doomed to repeat them for the first time. - Ken M

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 11:57:00 AM »
The most that I've seen is that said pizza place sometimes hosts live shows featuring punk bands. Some of those punk bands in the past have been genderqueer. This is literally the extent of actual evidence I've been able to get even when I confront alt-righters and ask them for relevant evidence of anything related to the supposed scandal.

That's the most I've seen, too, which is why I asked SoF whether he's actually seen emails and social media posts that support his conclusions.

Offline tmead

• Brand New
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 01:26:21 PM »
I don't listen when Eddie is in there because I know he's deep into conspiracy stuff. But Joe has a variety of guest that I like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Harry Black

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 02:25:01 PM »
I don't listen when Eddie is in there because I know he's deep into conspiracy stuff. But Joe has a variety of guest that I like.

Thats fair enough. You like what you like.
As I said, Im a fan of his fight commentary.
Im more just highlighting it as an example of a high rofile person failing at critical thought. Eddie is certainly a conspiracy nut, but Joe does nothing to challenge him and seems to regularly fall for shitty ideas.
But if you find him funny or entertaining then thats something that requires no defence.

Offline richm78

• Off to a Start
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 10:30:08 AM »

I always skip the Eddie Bravo episodes.  He is way too frenetic.

Online SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 11:24:15 AM »
I skip the Joe Rogan episodes. If I wanted a credulous meathead to grunt at me, I'd go hook up with my ex. 
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Memento Mori

• Brand New
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2016, 10:24:25 PM »
This is kind of separate from the normal joe rogan podcasts. They're called fight companions and basically they just get drunk smoke a little weed and shoot the shit while watching the ufc fights. This isn't Joe in interview mode and he usually calls people out on their shit but everyone has blind spots. Also if Joe hadn't looked into it before to get all the facts why would he have to give his absolute opinion or outright shut down Eddie? The skeptical thing would be to go and evaluate the "evidence" directly no?

I like him because I think he is a good interviewer, has a nice variety of guests and I enjoy the long conversation format.
Also to address your other points I don't think he against having a government. A more charitable interpretation is that he doesn't believe anyone is qualified to be president and that maybe we should utilize the extreme connectivity that the internet provides to allow the people to make decisions or vote. Kind of like a direct democracy.
Cryotherapy isn't necessarily quackery it's just hard to get good clinical data from a test because you can't really do a blind test plus there are some plausible physiological mechanisms.
As for Alpha Brain ( I don't use it ) they aren't doing anything malicious they truly believe in their product and they'll give you a full refund if you don't like it. Plus they've done at least 2 randomized controlled studies on it.

personate-rain
personate-rain