Author Topic: PC build assistance  (Read 765 times)

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
PC build assistance
« on: December 12, 2016, 07:07:24 AM »
My notebook is dying and I have decided that I will build a PC to use as my main computer. I have a tablet for travelling and moving around, so I am not keen on paying a premium for portability and instead decided to go back to a good-old fashioned immovable PC.

I will use it for everyday tasks with some photo editing but I also want it to fulfill my gaming needs for a reasonable amount of time. I will be using a 1080p monitor and I do not mean to move up from there (no 1440p, no VR foreseen), or to do any overclocking. I would like some near cutting edge performace at this level, though.

I am not at all experienced in building PCs, so I thought I would ask for some advice.

This is the sketch I put together so far

How does this look?

I mean to keep my expenses down (I don't have a very strict budget, and this seems quite all right already), so if I can make some trimmings without much sacrifice, that is more than welcome.

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: PC build assistance
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 07:24:59 AM »
I would recommend an SSD as your boot drive, at least a 240 if not a 480 these days
If you do any video work, I would also recommend larger than a 1 Tb drive.
Other item to consider is an after market heat sink / fan.

Might want to consider waiting a few months until the AMD Zen processors come out if you can both because they may force Intel prices to go down and they are suppose to have excellent performance.

Now, I have had an AMD FX-8350 for three years and it actually gives better benchmarks (8938 vs 7095) than the i5-6500 but is about 1/4 cheaper (~$140 to 150) so something you also might want to consider.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp%5B%5D=2599&cmp%5B%5D=1780
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 07:47:51 AM »
Is the heat sink all that important if I am not doing any overclocking?

Online RumbleFishTwist

• Off to a Start
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 08:02:23 AM »

Absolutely

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 08:03:39 AM »

When I do video crunching, my processor gets hot. I think I also only payed like $25 for mine (In this case the Coolermaster for Intel and AMD are the same). You could do what I did - Buy it and if you find your temperatures to be getting high then add an after market heat sink / fan combo.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 08:24:10 AM »
So the stock cooler is generally worthless?

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 08:26:01 AM »
I noticed something else. . . .Are you never going to expand your SATA beyond 4 devices. I actually have 5 SATA devises. 240 GB SSD, 3 TB HD, 3 TB HD, Blu Ray ROM, DVD Rom. Might also want to consider more USB ports on your motherboard.

Edit: After Christmas, I am hoping to get a 6 TB HD and move one of the 3 TB into my TV server computer.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 08:28:26 AM by Desert Fox »
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 08:27:02 AM »

They are generally OK for your average user.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 08:34:48 AM »
I noticed something else. . . .Are you never going to expand your SATA beyond 4 devices. I actually have 5 SATA devises. 240 GB SSD, 3 TB HD, 3 TB HD, Blu Ray ROM, DVD Rom. Might also want to consider more USB ports on your motherboard.

Edit: After Christmas, I am hoping to get a 6 TB HD and move one of the 3 TB into my TV server computer.

I am fairly certain I won't expand that much. I doubt I'll get an optical ROM of any kind and that leaves me plenty of space... As for USBs, this is a cost-cutting sacrifice. I can live with 4 USB32 and 2 USB 3.

But I shall consider the after-market heatsink

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 02:16:09 PM »

I am fairly certain I won't expand that much. I doubt I'll get an optical ROM of any kind and that leaves me plenty of space... As for USBs, this is a cost-cutting sacrifice. I can live with 4 USB32 and 2 USB 3.

But I shall consider the after-market heatsink

At the present time, I would want to have at least a normal DVD rom just for drivers and the likes
They are also only about 20 bucks on New Egg.

Might want to look at alternative boards which are around the same price but have more ports at least if not SATA as well.
Mine was around the same price and I believe I have 6 back USB 2.0, 2 back UBS 3.0, and 6 SATA ports.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Pusher Robot

• Frequent Poster
  • Do you have stairs in your house?
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 02:46:50 PM »

I'd say it's worthless.  In the systems I've tested, the stock cooler will allow you to run at 100% usage at max frequency for somewhere between 90 seconds and 3 minutes before you reach max temp, thermal throttling kicks in, and your frequency drops through the floor.  After replacing it with a sealed liquid-cooling system, the system can run at 100% CPU at max frequency indefinitely without even approaching max temperature.
A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power off and on.
Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: “You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong.”
Knight turned the machine off and on.
The machine worked.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 03:05:23 PM »
You definitely want an SSD boot drive, and you should make it big enough to put your most-used applications on it as well.  A HDD will bottleneck any high-end system these days.

At the present time, I would want to have at least a normal DVD rom just for drivers and the likes
They are also only about 20 bucks on New Egg.

That doesn't need to be SATA, though.  If he finds he needs one, he can buy a USB external for under $30.  And with the amount he's likely ever to use it the difference in speed won't amount to much.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 03:08:53 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 03:27:45 PM »
I did some minor tweaking, switched the motherboard for one that is cheaper and with better reviews (nothing really changes with the ports, still looking for a better one on that front, if available) and switched the RAM setup from 2X4 to 1X8, in case I would like to add some more.

I'd say it's worthless.  In the systems I've tested, the stock cooler will allow you to run at 100% usage at max frequency for somewhere between 90 seconds and 3 minutes before you reach max temp, thermal throttling kicks in, and your frequency drops through the floor.  After replacing it with a sealed liquid-cooling system, the system can run at 100% CPU at max frequency indefinitely without even approaching max temperature.

But will I be using the CPU at 100% for extended periods of time through normal use? I don't plan to render Pixar movies. 

Mine was around the same price and I believe I have 6 back USB 2.0, 2 back UBS 3.0, and 6 SATA ports.

What do you have?

« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 03:38:32 PM by Rai »

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 04:00:51 PM »
What do you have?

ASUS M5A97 LE. . . .Mine is an AMD build however
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2016, 06:18:14 PM »
If you're doing video editing plus gaming, I'd bump the ram to 16gb. Just my opinion.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

personate-rain
personate-rain