Author Topic: PC build assistance  (Read 937 times)

Offline Pusher Robot

• Frequent Poster
  • Do you have stairs in your house?
Re: PC build assistance
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 10:20:04 PM »

But will I be using the CPU at 100% for extended periods of time through normal use? I don't plan to render Pixar movies. 

Fair point.  For everyday tasks, likely not.  However, certain games can tax the CPU fairly heavily, and any kind bulk media conversion probably will.
A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power off and on.
Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: “You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong.”
Knight turned the machine off and on.
The machine worked.

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 11:04:12 PM »

But will I be using the CPU at 100% for extended periods of time through normal use? I don't plan to render Pixar movies. 

Fair point.  For everyday tasks, likely not.  However, certain games can tax the CPU fairly heavily, and any kind bulk media conversion probably will.

And that is where I had my issues with stock cooling
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2016, 03:10:21 AM »
I will probably go with stock cooling for now and if I encounter issues, I will replace it

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2016, 10:04:54 AM »
For me the stock cooler gets tossed in the garbage automatically. I'm a big fan of "all in one" liquid cooling.

If you are editing with Adobe the more cuda cores on your Gcard the better performance you will receive.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2016, 02:59:35 PM »
For me the stock cooler gets tossed in the garbage automatically. I'm a big fan of "all in one" liquid cooling.

I am using an air type processor cooler myself but am curious what liquid coolers do you recommend. . . .Any that are actually affordable?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Pusher Robot

• Frequent Poster
  • Do you have stairs in your house?
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2016, 03:17:07 PM »

I am using an air type processor cooler myself but am curious what liquid coolers do you recommend. . . .Any that are actually affordable?

The Corsair Hydro Series are sealed units with a 12 volt pump that circulates the water in a loop through the chip cooler and a radiator with a fan attached.  They're pretty reasonably priced, under $100 for the smaller units and a little more for the larger ones.  They're very quiet too, and allow the larger radiator fan to run at a much lower speed than a CPU does, which is makes it much quieter as well.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cooling
A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power off and on.
Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: “You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong.”
Knight turned the machine off and on.
The machine worked.

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2016, 03:41:48 PM »
I was about to suggest the same brand. I also like the thermaltake water but most of my machines have the corsair Hydros of various sizes.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/cooler.aspx

One day I will build a full custom system but I am always concerned I will end up baptizing my processor when I screw up  >:D

I keep eyeballing this sucker, I mite give it a try during Christmas break but not with the "fast machine" until I know for sure im not going to fuck up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811853030&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Cases+%28Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form%29-_-N82E16811853030&gclid=Cj0KEQiA1b7CBRDjmIPL4u-Zy6gBEiQAsJhTMOtqSBxOm8lP7Ssn-m_Ue9iPBQNaSJzbSzld-kEPha4aAntK8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 03:51:58 PM »
Wow this thread has been very enlightening for me.  I use a gaming laptop to play Everquest 2, and I've just realized why it sometimes runs so slow.  Every time I launch the game, I hear my fan kick on and get faster and faster and it just stays pegged as fast as it can go.

Is there a way to improve the cooling of my laptop?  I think I'll take it apart tonight and see if I can blow out some dust or something.  Also, I wonder how hard it is to add an SSD to my laptop.  I'll see what I can see when I have it open.  Then, I'll get a new computer in 5 years when the kids are out of college.

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2016, 04:24:49 PM »
There may not be room for an SSD unless you remove the DVD player.  They make special brackets to do this for a mac so I would assume the same is available for a PC.  You could probably replace your stock drive as well.  SSD on your OS drive will give you a lot of speed.  As for cooling my only advice is to get a tower if you are going to game properly :)

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Online RumbleFishTwist

• Off to a Start
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 04:35:23 PM »
I also recommend the Corsair liquid cooling.
Here's mine. I got it for $122 though.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Kn7CmG/corsair-cpu-cooler-cw9060020

pcpartpicker is a great site.

Online SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2016, 08:55:39 PM »
Wow this thread has been very enlightening for me.  I use a gaming laptop to play Everquest 2, and I've just realized why it sometimes runs so slow.  Every time I launch the game, I hear my fan kick on and get faster and faster and it just stays pegged as fast as it can go.

Is there a way to improve the cooling of my laptop?  I think I'll take it apart tonight and see if I can blow out some dust or something.  Also, I wonder how hard it is to add an SSD to my laptop.  I'll see what I can see when I have it open.  Then, I'll get a new computer in 5 years when the kids are out of college.

The only way that I'm aware of is a laptop cooling tray like this.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2016, 06:10:52 AM »
Hmm, it seems that I have found an alternative motherboard for a reasonable price, with better USB connections. THe only catch is that I have never heard of the manufacturere.

It is ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151. Anyone of youse have experience with ASRock products?

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2016, 11:34:29 AM »
Hmm, it seems that I have found an alternative motherboard for a reasonable price, with better USB connections. THe only catch is that I have never heard of the manufacturere.

It is ASRock Z170M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151. Anyone of youse have experience with ASRock products?

ASRock has some decent stuff but all MB manufactures seem tto have have good and bad, see if you can find any info about your board on Toms Hardware.

Offline Smooth

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 12:27:41 PM »
The single most important thing when building your own system is to be disciplined about static electricity and not discharging on vulnerable microcircuits.

If you go to NewEgg and read reviews on Mobo's, you will see 1 star reviews on boards that were "DOA" by someone whom professes "High Technical Knowledge."  This is the Dunning-Krueger effect in action.

Years ago, an SGI tech came to our office to install an SGI workstation.  He took immense care with grounding himself, and explained that at SGI 35% of all returns were from static events by highly trained technicians with advanced degrees!

If you watch YouTubes of guys building systems, you can see them handling motherboards like books. Grabbing them with their full hand, fingers all over black chips, and the under sides of the board.  This is stupid!

My personal method does not use the little static conductive wrist tethers.  BUT, I take my socks off, and work on wood or stone floors. No rugs. And especially no plastic floor protectors.  If you must build on a rug you should neutralize your charge every time you move your feet.  How I do this when handling a motherboard, is to find the 24 pin slot where the main PSU connects as there are capacitors after it with much higher resistance to the static charge you may be storing, and I place my fingers on as many pins as I can touch, then I touch a conducting part of the next component I am handling at the same time. If it's the CPU, I will touch the shielded outer surface. If it's a HDD or optical, touch the outer sheet metal.  Never touch a chip surface directly if possible. This technique equalizes the charge. It doesn't necessarily 'earth' the charge, but is adequate for assembly. Do this often for each new part you assemble. Once the motherboard is in the enclosure, attach the PSU to the mono and use the outer sheet metal of the PSU for future neutralizing, or the case chassis, since all 3 are now 'grounded' together (not necessarily Earthed).

Take your time. Assembling my last machine in 2015, it took about 4 hours, not including unpacking.  That build only had one DOA, a HDD.  The first DOA component I have had over ~10 PC builds.

If this is your first build, you may choose to "breadboard' the build. This means building up the mobo, RAM HDD and PSU only to confirm the core parts are working.  I never do this personally since it requires you to handle everything at least twice, doubling your chances for an error.

Don't over tighten screws. If the screw goes in with difficulty, ITS THE WRONG SCEW. If you have a water cooling unit DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!  See all the bad reviews about cracking plastic and coolant spilling out? Housing snapping, etc?  These people are over tightening screws and bolts, deforming the material and causing stress fractures.  It's a computer, not a Baja Racing vehicle.  Slightly hand-tight is tight enough!

The most nerve-wracking procedure is installing the CPU in to the slot on the MOBO.  Sometimes the securing clips require a lot of force to close. Force is usually something to avoid at all costs, but some clips, like the i7 clips can be scary hard to snap down.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 12:41:39 PM by Smooth »

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 04:37:09 PM »
You jerks are making me want to build a PC now.  I don't have the money or a reason to do it, but man I want to.   >:(

personate-rain