Author Topic: PC build assistance  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: PC build assistance
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 05:04:16 PM »
The single most important thing when building your own system is to be disciplined about static electricity and not discharging on vulnerable microcircuits.

(click to show/hide)
IDK, the only time I had any trouble that might have been related to static discharge was the first one I built, when I was assiduous about control of static discharge.  Maybe, I've just been lucky. 

On a possibly related not, the system I built about 4 years ago worked fine for 2ish years until I moved and now it constantly over heats.   Any ideas what might cause this?  I mostly stopped using it prior to the overheating problem so its not been a high priority. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 05:07:48 PM by Ah.hell »

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 06:44:30 PM »
Have you tried to blow everything out with canned air?
Sometimes dust will accumulate.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Pusher Robot

• Frequent Poster
  • Do you have stairs in your house?
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2016, 07:30:32 PM »
The single most important thing when building your own system is to be disciplined about static electricity and not discharging on vulnerable microcircuits.

(click to show/hide)
IDK, the only time I had any trouble that might have been related to static discharge was the first one I built, when I was assiduous about control of static discharge.  Maybe, I've just been lucky. 

On a possibly related not, the system I built about 4 years ago worked fine for 2ish years until I moved and now it constantly over heats.   Any ideas what might cause this?  I mostly stopped using it prior to the overheating problem so its not been a high priority.
If the stock thermal goop dried up it might have cracked and created an air gap between you heat sink and motherboard.  This can be fixed by removing the heat sink, cleaning both surfaces, and re applying a thin layer of thermal grease.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 11:52:02 PM by Pusher Robot »
A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power off and on.
Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: “You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong.”
Knight turned the machine off and on.
The machine worked.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2016, 07:52:59 PM »
I should really do the same but it is a pain in the neck to remove my CPU fan.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 08:36:24 PM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain