Author Topic: Ransomware explores multi-level marketing  (Read 328 times)

Offline c60Unit

• Not Enough Spare Time
Ransomware explores multi-level marketing
« on: December 13, 2016, 10:33:48 AM »
https://threatpost.com/ransomware-gives-free-decryption-keys-to-victims-who-infect-others/122395/

Can't pay the ransom?  Well, just use this handy link to infect friend and enemies alike!  If two of them pay the ransom, you get an unlock key.

Sheesh!

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: Ransomware explores multi-level marketing
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 01:32:33 PM »
Gosh! That's certainly creative. And a good reminder to keep up-to-date backups.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 03:43:02 PM »
Gosh! That's certainly creative. And a good reminder to keep up-to-date backups.

If your backups are too up-to-date, you could back up the virus and screw up your backup too!  Make sure you every once in a while that you make a separate full backup and don't keep overwriting the same backup.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 05:48:36 PM »

If your backups are too up-to-date, you could back up the virus and screw up your backup too!  Make sure you every once in a while that you make a separate full backup and don't keep overwriting the same backup.

I have two external backup drives. I do backups with Time Machine (iMac) on one of them for a while, then the other one for a while. And of course, Time Machine lets you choose the date you want to go back to.

I was looking for something in one of my storage closets the other day and noticed that I still have a floppy with Fastback and my last backup from my old 80286 PC. It took a whole box of floppies to make a backup, and it would tell you when to remove a disk and put in the next one. There were no photographs or media. Just programs and my files. Now I have 2 1T HDs that are each less than 1/10 the size of the 500MB HD I used for my previous computer.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 07:34:14 PM »

That's why I have CrashPlan. Unlimited versioning. Well worth what I pay for the peace of mind.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain