Author Topic: VW emissions cheating  (Read 4877 times)

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
Re: VW emissions cheating
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2017, 12:32:26 PM »
For me, this case demonstrated something I learned to love about the Germans after living in Stuttgart for 6+ years.

I always assumed if this happened to Ford or GM, at first a plea of ignorance would come, then scapegoating.  Volkswagen's board fessed up immediately upon being presented evidence. 

Because most Germans would rather be seen as liars than incompetents. 

I have found this is very true in my daily life over there.
So, Hanlon's Razor doesn't apply to Germans, with them its always malice?

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity,"
For me, this case demonstrated something I learned to love about the Germans after living in Stuttgart for 6+ years.

I always assumed if this happened to Ford or GM, at first a plea of ignorance would come, then scapegoating.  Volkswagen's board fessed up immediately upon being presented evidence. 

Because most Germans would rather be seen as liars than incompetents. 

I have found this is very true in my daily life over there.
So, Hanlon's Razor doesn't apply to Germans, with them its always malice?

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity,"

Not with work ethic.

There are plenty of stupid Germans.  But telling one they didn't do a good job is a giant insult.

With VW, they did a great job, their fake-out fooled people for years.

I'll give you an example I experienced personally.   When I was stationed in Germany for the US Navy, (it was a joint base, all 4 services) I helped run the ceremonial guard.  I've always liked the pomp and ceremony of military stuff.  Anyway, we were having a change of command.  We needed new flags for our new commanding General.  We were going to order a new 1-star flag and a new flag of the Special Operations Command Europe (SOCEUR) crest.  The one star flag we ordered from the military supply catalog, but the SOCEUR crest had to be custom.

Well, I was given a budget and found three local sewing/banner companies that said they could make flags to our size and spec requirements.

They all gave me estimates which exceeded my budget.  I told them I had to remain within my budget and the told me that they couldn't do it.

When I asked, well, can't you work with me?  Maybe different materials?  Their response, to a man, was essentially:

"Your budget wont allow me to make a flag that looks good.  I can't produce something to not up MY standard.  My name will be on this flag, I don't want it to be shoddy."  All of them turned down several hundreds Euros worth of work.  We eventually ordered it from Poland and got it back in time.  Our guys were travelling to and from Poland working with Polish JW GROM a lot.
Well.  There it is.

personate-rain
personate-rain