Author Topic: Talk Nerdy with Cara Santamaria  (Read 458 times)

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Talk Nerdy with Cara Santamaria
« on: December 14, 2016, 02:53:44 PM »
This week:  a live panel of physicist-celebrities.  I enjoyed it.

I think it was Brian Greene who said something that blew my mind about string theory:

"If you scaled up an atom to the size of the entire known universe, a string in that scale would be the size of a tree."
Amend and resubmit.

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Talk Nerdy with Cara Santamaria
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 02:32:00 PM »
I don't know if somebody has a way of getting in contact with Cara (I looked for an email link on her website and could not find one) but I am thinking she should see about getting an interview with a PHD student / graduate detained by Trump's immigration policies on "Talk Nerdy."
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 05:30:15 PM »
Great idea!

Definitely worth e-mailing her through the SGU. If you are on twitter, you could send her a message @CaraSantaMaria.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 08:05:41 PM »
I have been avoiding joining Twitter but if you wish to contact her, welcome to it. Can give me credit or take credit yourself, I don't care.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 10:05:04 PM »
Why not contact her through SGU? I think all the rogues see it, but maybe specify that it's for Cara.

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 11:47:30 PM »
I'll defer to you, Desert Fox. It is a great suggestion, and would make for some fascinating interviews. Babel is probably right that the best method is via the SGU (although the last time I sent an e-mail to info@, it got bounced).

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 05:13:20 AM »
I will listen in on the next talknerdy and see is she states a means of contact.
There is also that I could PayPal her 5 buck (sorry, poor right now) and usually you PayPal to an email address.

The interesting thing is that I have been contact multiple scholars and/or scientists on various issues and often get questions answered.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 04:24:42 PM »
This week:  a live panel of physicist-celebrities.  I enjoyed it.

I think it was Brian Greene who said something that blew my mind about string theory:

"If you scaled up an atom to the size of the entire known universe, a string in that scale would be the size of a tree."
I saw Michio Kaku and gave it a miss.
I will give it a look though since you seem to have liked it!

I must say, I find it hard to feel bothered to click on lots of episodes because in my feed, I only see the interviewee name and no information about topics.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 04:30:10 PM »
I have a hard time taking Michio Kaku seriously.  This week she interviewed Michael Marsh, probably a well known individual round these parts, better than the physicist panel though.

personate-rain
personate-rain