Author Topic: Re: Orthorexia  (Read 1048 times)

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Orthorexia
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2017, 02:40:43 AM »
We don't seem to have muscle right on the waist. Body-builders typically have slim waists even when they are otherwise bulky.

You may be unusual.  The rest of us have what are called obliques, as well as abdominals.  Body builders train these obsessively. 

Waist to hip ratio is an indicator of insulin resistance, though.

I weigh myself daily to be sure I am eating enough.  Too active for my age, I reckon.

I've never seen a body-builder with a large waist. Weightlifters, yes, but they typically have a lot of fat. A large waist indicates a higher fat-to-lean ratio, and a thin waist (proportional to body size) indicates a low fat-to lean ratio.
What is the difference between a body builder and a weightlifter?  Aside from the belly fat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your mileage may vary.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2017, 02:57:18 AM »
I dunno.  It might be an ad for one of his restaurants. 
“You get old and you realize there are no answers, just stories.”

Garrison Keillor

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2017, 07:17:38 AM »

ETA: I like Michael Pollan's advice: "Eat food, mostly plants, not too much." And do cardio exercise and resistance exercise in moderation, though that isn't about eating.

Everyone quotes Michael Pollan when they agree with him but if they disagree he's a woo flake.

Have you seen his latest tweet?
https://twitter.com/michaelpollan?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

It's to an article recommending a month without sugar.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/30/opinion/a-month-without-sugar.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share&referer=https://www.google.co.uk/

A month without sugar, where have I heard that one before?

Your mileage may vary.

Online daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: Re: Orthorexia
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2017, 09:45:02 AM »
Not large, obviously cut.  Lovely, visible obliques.  Also, not a bodybuilder.

Yours may have atrophied from disuse, giving you a "small" waist.

Large arms, big chest, small waist. Thank you for posting that. It demonstrates my point.

Now compare that with the typical American whose waist is bigger than his chest.

What is the difference between a body builder and a weightlifter?  Aside from the belly fat?

A weightlifter trains to lift the maximum possible amount of weight. A bodybuilder trains to display large muscles. To display large muscles you need to keep body fat down. Those "six-pack" abs don't show up when there's a lot of fat. A weightlifter doesn't care if the muscles show; the important thing is strength, not appearance.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2017, 02:51:29 PM »
We don't seem to have muscle right on the waist. Body-builders typically have slim waists even when they are otherwise bulky.

You may be unusual.  The rest of us have what are called obliques, as well as abdominals.  Body builders train these obsessively. 

Waist to hip ratio is an indicator of insulin resistance, though.

I weigh myself daily to be sure I am eating enough.  Too active for my age, I reckon.

I've never seen a body-builder with a large waist. Weightlifters, yes, but they typically have a lot of fat. A large waist indicates a higher fat-to-lean ratio, and a thin waist (proportional to body size) indicates a low fat-to lean ratio.

Bodybuilders seek an idealized or hyperidealized figure, often at the cost of actual working muscles. Weightlifters skip the tanning, cutting, and last-minute exhausrion workouts in favor of raw strength, usually in a specific exercise or series of exercises. The actor who plays the Mountain on Game of Thrones is a weight lifter, the actor who played Khal Drogo is a bodybuilder. Think modeling versus competition weightlifting.
HIISSSSSSSS