Author Topic: Bidets  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Re: Bidets
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 12:22:51 PM »

If you got some shit on your hand would you just wipe it off with a thin square of tissue paper or would you wash your hands? why treat your ass any different?

I have no objection to a clean ass... but this seems like a dumb question.  Hands and asses serve different functions and have different cleanliness criteria.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 12:29:59 PM »

If you got some shit on your hand would you just wipe it off with a thin square of tissue paper or would you wash your hands? why treat your ass any different?

I have no objection to a clean ass... but this seems like a dumb question.  Hands and asses serve different functions and have different cleanliness criteria.
Why?  We have the technology to have clean asses.  I'm curious about the video mentioned in the op as to why Americans don't think clean ass is a good practice?

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

β€œDon't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 01:09:09 PM »

Why?  We have the technology to have clean asses. 

It's not like we're talking about permanent filth... just temporarily paper -clean vs bidet-clean, until you can wash properly.

Hands:  you eat with them, you lick them, you occasionally stick them in your eyes ears and nose, you touch other people with them, you touch things that other people have touched.  Dirty hands are gross and spread disease.

Ass: You defecate with it, it might stain your underwear, you might involve it in sexual encounters.  Dirty asses are mildly unpleasant.

Amend and resubmit.

Offline nameofthewave

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 01:21:27 PM »

Why?  We have the technology to have clean asses. 

It's not like we're talking about permanent filth... just temporarily paper -clean vs bidet-clean, until you can wash properly.

Hands:  you eat with them, you lick them, you occasionally stick them in your eyes ears and nose, you touch other people with them, you touch things that other people have touched.  Dirty hands are gross and spread disease.

Ass: You defecate with it, it might stain your underwear, you might involve it in sexual encounters.  Dirty asses are mildly unpleasant.

When you use paper to clean up, you're probably transferring some faeces to your hand anyway no matter how thick the paper is. So if you wash your hands with soap after using water + hand to clean ass, is your hand equivalently clean compared to paper + hand, with the added bonus of cleaner ass.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 02:03:37 PM »
I've used them when I was in Japan and I'm afraid they just don't seem to do the job as reliably as paper would.  And you do end up with a wet bum which is more fuss.

Also, from staying at two different hotels with somewhat different standards, a lot seems to depend on the bidet itself as some work better than others.  With TP it's all in your hands, as it were.

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 02:09:05 PM »
Just watched todayIfoundout's video on YouTube about why Americans don't tend to use the bidet.

I think something must be missing from their perception of why we don't use them, because I now realize that he only indirectly addressed my own doubts about the bidet. I was honestly surprised to hear that bidets are supposed to be so effective. Don't get me wrong, I have also long thought it was crazy that Americans have been cleaning our butts with dry paper, but I find it hard to imagine a bidet actually cleaning much of anything even as well as that method. It seems like it would just leave everything wet without removing more than a few clumps of poop. I would almost think you need soap and a washcloth to do a really proper job, but it sounds like these things are working well enough in the countries that use them.

So, without soap or any sort of scrubbing, how does a bidet actually clean one's bum?

Last year, I spent a couple weeks in Japan.

My experience differs slightly from Teethering. The hotel I stayed in had glorious toilets that did all the things you've heard Japanese toilets do.  (Bidets, seat heating/cooling, scented sprays, music and other "cover" sounds, self cleaning, etc...) 

The bidet did a much better job cleaning than toilet paper for me, and I found the jet of warm water pretty nice actually.  I did find I used the paper provided anyway, just to blot up the excess water.  Very little excess water. Taken care of with a dab or two of paper.

I want them for my house, but the cheapest I've been able to find them in the United States at the quality level I want is about $650 per seat.  A little too pricey for me right now.  Unless I only want to do one bathroom.

Well.  There it is.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 02:18:05 PM »
OK, some logistics - and this is from experience with European style bidets - an extra basin next to the toilet.  If you have to get off the toilet and then transfer your crappy ass over to the bidet - you are risking smearing the poo on yourself and the fixtures...

I think there's just a gut-feeling some people have about asses.  Like the way some people won't touch the bathroom doorknob without a paper towel, or use a toilet seat without a liner, or wear their shoes in the house, or double dip a tortilla chip; the perception of ickiness is far worse than the actual risk/filth factor.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 02:35:59 PM »
Is a bidet the same as a bum hose?
I fucking hate using a bum hose. My ass is wet after and when the floor is wet when you walk in to a bathroom, you KNOW its ass water.

I lost.

On foreign vessels, there is usually no toilet paper. They often have a hose off to the side though and a drain on the floor. I suspect they use that hose to wash their asses.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
β€” Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »
Is a bidet the same as a bum hose?
I fucking hate using a bum hose. My ass is wet after and when the floor is wet when you walk in to a bathroom, you KNOW its ass water.

I lost.

On foreign vessels, there is usually no toilet paper. They often have a hose off to the side though and a drain on the floor. I suspect they use that hose to wash their asses.
That's not on common in some countries.  Sort of a poor man's bidet.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 10:51:20 AM »
We probably should switch
http://www.worldwatch.org/node/6403

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2017, 07:59:16 PM »
I use one, paper sucks!

I guess I'd wipe off the bulk and then wash my hands.
if a seagull craps on my head, I'll flick it off, then wash my hair.

but as for the 'why treat your ass differently to your hands' question, I'd say it's the same as my feet. when I come inside from gardening, I wash my hands but I don't wash my feet. I touch my face with my hands aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the time, I make food with my hands, I shake hands hand-to-hand, so I have reason to be a little more picky with them.

that said, if you're throwin down messy beer shits or something, it's nice to have a bathroom sink near by. especially as a hairy-legged male, that seems even more likely to be disgusting.
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2017, 04:52:19 AM »
OK, some logistics - and this is from experience with European style bidets - an extra basin next to the toilet.  If you have to get off the toilet and then transfer your crappy ass over to the bidet - you are risking smearing the poo on yourself and the fixtures...

How? Are you rubbing your bum up against the fixtures? How far do you think you have to go to get to the bidet?

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2017, 04:55:39 AM »

I would imagine some sort of bent over waddle is involved, due to pants down and such.

do europeans not wipe _at all_? it's 100% water, not just water as a second line of cleanliness?
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2017, 05:04:12 AM »
I would imagine some sort of bent over waddle is involved, due to pants down and such.

They're right next to each other! It's not like you're crossing the room.

Offline Redamare

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2017, 04:31:26 PM »
Many are built into the toilet, as I understand.
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

personate-rain