Author Topic: Idle curiosity - Does anybody use any of their standard PCI slots and what for?  (Read 486 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
If you fon't know what PCI is, this likely is not the thread for you  ;)

There is plenty of use for PCIe slots and this thread is not about them.

What I am curious if anybody uses any of their standard PCI slots and for what purpose?
In the computer I just decommissioned, I used one for a 10/100/1000 LAN card but almost all newer motherboard that already
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
Nope.  PCI express or sata for everything.  Last time used the regular slots was for a sound card.
I agree with Clunn, which makes me feel all weird inside.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Nope.  PCI express or sata for everything.  Last time used the regular slots was for a sound card.

Some people get special sound cards which they use the slot for. . . .Assuming they are not using them for audio editing, I owul dlike a head to head to see if they could actually hear a difference.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain

Some people get special sound cards which they use the slot for. . . .Assuming they are not using them for audio editing, I owul dlike a head to head to see if they could actually hear a difference.

Well when you have a 7 speaker system and the motherboard only has 2 stereo outputs...

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page

Well when you have a 7 speaker system and the motherboard only has 2 stereo outputs...

I wasn't thinking about that. My sound to my TV is carried through an HDMI cord though.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
I haven't used them in a while now... I think the last use was either a sound card or a TV card, but my sound is now integrated into my MB and I haven't had cable in at least 5 years.

Actually, come to think of it, I don't think I even have one:

Nope, I guess... Does have 22 SATA/SAS ports, though. I like storage. }|:op
Mooohn!

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
I had a 10baseT PCI Ethernet card that I used through four systems.  I had to manually install the drivers starting with XP because Windows didn't recognize it (although Ubuntu did).  Back in the day I had PCI sound and a fax/modem cards.  But now pretty much every main board has built-in Ethernet and sound and fax/modems are obsolete. I can't think of anything I'd use one for.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
There are some midi input cards for cheap.  I mean now I use a front panel with other nice to have inputs (sd card etc...).  I'm really just stretching, trying to justify why they're still on motherboards when express and SATA do everything so well.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
There are some midi input cards for cheap.  I mean now I use a front panel with other nice to have inputs (sd card etc...).  I'm really just stretching, trying to justify why they're still on motherboards when express and SATA do everything so well.

The motherboard of my media server has more usb risers that the front of  case has bays for.
I bought an adapter for the rear expansion slots so that I could more USB 3.0 devices potentially.
The rear expansion slots almost have uses than the PCI slots.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
I used to move my sound card from computer to computer, until two desktops ago.

I also stopped putting together the parts myself. Those giant graphics card are a bit much and too expensive for my paranoia. Hated it when I had to take one out and send it in due to a dud port (and put in the replacement later).

Offline Pusher Robot

• Frequent Poster
  • Do you have stairs in your house?
I still have my Audigy 2 ZS platinum plugged in.  Buying something with equivalent functions seems impossible at a reasonable price.
A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power off and on.
Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: “You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong.”
Knight turned the machine off and on.
The machine worked.

personate-rain
personate-rain