Author Topic: "Netherlands: 50% officially not religious"  (Read 720 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
"Netherlands: 50% officially not religious"
« on: December 24, 2016, 06:01:43 PM »
Netherlands: 50% officially not religious

For the first time in Dutch history, the official number of religious and irreligious people is equal, Statistics Netherlands (CBS) reports.  The percentage of religiously affiliated citizens above age 18 dropped from 55% in 2010 to 50% last year, a turning point in the ongoing process of secularisation. The current figures are:

- Roman Catholicism: 24%
- Protestantism (various denominations): 15%
- Islam: 5%
- Other (incl. Judaism, Hinduism and Buddhism): 5%
- Unaffiliated: 50%

There are large geographical differences, with the more urbanised West (North and South Holland) being the most secular, the southern provinces of North Brabant and Limburg being the most (nominally) Catholic.

The secularization of society continues, at least in the Western world. I don't understand why some people think that the secularization thesis is incorrect. It seems to be correct to me.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
Re: "Netherlands: 50% officially not religious"
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2016, 09:08:40 PM »
Netherlands: 50% officially not religious

For the first time in Dutch history, the official number of religious and irreligious people is equal, Statistics Netherlands (CBS) reports.  The percentage of religiously affiliated citizens above age 18 dropped from 55% in 2010 to 50% last year, a turning point in the ongoing process of secularisation. The current figures are:

- Roman Catholicism: 24%
- Protestantism (various denominations): 15%
- Islam: 5%
- Other (incl. Judaism, Hinduism and Buddhism): 5%
- Unaffiliated: 50%

There are large geographical differences, with the more urbanised West (North and South Holland) being the most secular, the southern provinces of North Brabant and Limburg being the most (nominally) Catholic.

The secularization of society continues, at least in the Western world. I don't understand why some people think that the secularization thesis is incorrect. It seems to be correct to me.

In urban areas, very few people are religious now. Some are nominally religious but do not practice, and a few go to church. Fundamentalism and creationism is really unheard of in the Randstad. It's different in the countryside though (at my last job I worked with a software architect who was very staunchly religious and a creationist). And of course, it does not mean that people are not irrational in many other ways (particularly altmed).
Mooohn!

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Well Established
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 05:43:01 AM »
To be honest, I was a bit surprised my religious countrymen got up to 50 percent.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 08:12:35 AM »
To be honest, I was a bit surprised my religious countrymen got up to 50 percent.

It was nominal affiliation. The link also contained statistics about people's actual convictions, and they were as follows:

- Roman Catholicism: 11.7%
- Protestant Church in the Netherlands: 8.6%
- Other Christian denominations: 4.2%
- Islam: 5.8%
- Hinduism and Buddhism: 2.0%
- Unaffiliated: 67.8%
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline Louie

• Global Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 06:04:38 PM »
Wait, Catholics outnumber the Protestants? Blimey. That can't be right.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Online Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 07:01:19 PM »
Maybe under "other denominations" they include some Protestant sects? Dunno. Also, it's pretty understandable that you don't see anywhere near half in Amsterdam; my home state of Washington has about 35% religious folk (one of the lowest rates in the US by the way) and in Seattle proper they are practically nowhere to be found outside of a couple of African American churches.
If we don't discover the mistakes of the future we are doomed to repeat them for the first time. - Ken M

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 08:04:13 PM »

That's Brabant and Limburg for you.

Compare that to this, which is the number of people who don't identify with any church:

and the population density:

Funny, because I figured there would be more religious people in the northern provinces.
Mooohn!

Offline Louie

• Global Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 12:12:42 PM »
Interesting stats, which are difficult to match to my experiences. Perhaps the key lies in how soon someone self-identifies as belonging to a church. There's been a lot of fuss in recent years about the number of people attending catholic mass dropping off in a spectacular way, including predictions about the closure of about 2/3rds of the catholic churches in the country. That doesn't chime with so many Brabanders and Limburgers calling themselves catholic.

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 12:17:42 PM »
Interesting stats, which are difficult to match to my experiences. Perhaps the key lies in how soon someone self-identifies as belonging to a church. There's been a lot of fuss in recent years about the number of people attending catholic mass dropping off in a spectacular way, including predictions about the closure of about 2/3rds of the catholic churches in the country. That doesn't chime with so many Brabanders and Limburgers calling themselves catholic.

Quite possible... I definitely know a few people who identify as catholic, but who rarely see the inside of a church.
Mooohn!

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 12:22:37 PM »
The Dutch US immigration from the 1800s produced at least two very cohesive communities that are very religious today, one in western Michigan (Holland-Grand Rapids) and two areas in Iowa, near Pella and Orange City.

I believe three main denominations survive today. The Reformed Church in America is now pretty mainstream, with women ministers, I believe.

The Christian Reformed Church is more conservative. I think they still prohibit women ministers, but use women in other roles. The Protestant Reformed Church is even more conservative.

This influence is so pervasive in Grand Rapids that the local joke several years ago was that even the Jews were Dutch Reformed.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 10:44:47 AM »
I keep reading the subject line as "Neanderthals: 50% officially not religious" and thinking, "that seems very high unless they didn't poll my cousins."

Offline Shibboleth

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 12:03:15 PM »
I wonder how religious Neanderthals were?
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 12:08:52 PM »
I wonder how religious Neanderthals were?
God smote them, so you can figure.

Offline Louie

• Global Moderator
  • Well Established
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 12:13:08 PM »
I keep reading the subject line as "Neanderthals: 50% officially not religious" and thinking, "that seems very high unless they didn't poll my cousins."

There are elections coming up in March that will show if you're brain's far off the mark there. I'm not hopeful that it is.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 12:18:13 PM »

There are elections coming up in March that will show if you're brain's far off the mark there. I'm not hopeful that it is.
Given that most of my relatives could never get into a college that didn't have "Baptist" in its name I guess I should apologize to the Neanderthals.

personate-rain
personate-rain