Author Topic: $100 on Amazon...what to buy  (Read 693 times)

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
$100 on Amazon...what to buy
« on: December 29, 2016, 11:11:02 AM »
So, I got a $100 gift card to Amazon for Christmas, having some real "too many choices" moment on deciding what to buy.

My first thought was a Roku Ultra (with the gift card it would be $17): I'm slowly moving our family towards cord-cutting, but we already have a PS4, PS3, a Nexus Player, and a Chromecast. So I'm not sure a Roku is necessary (I'd move the Nexus player to the bedroom, replacing the Chromecast, and but the Roku on the main TV). We can't use the 4K features, but figure for $17 out of pocket why not, we'll end up with a 4K TV eventually. But with streaming devices already hooked up to every TV it's just...not NEEDED at this point.

My other options are this:

http://a.co/2DM4HMV since I do want to get back into Elite: Dangerous and my current joystick is your basic Logitech Extreme 3D and is just pretty lacking for that kind of sim.

OR

http://a.co/3LuvAHm: This intrigues me because it's a portable HDD with Plex built in. I could but our entire Plex library on the thing and not have to leave my desktop on to use Plex (though what I'd do with the massive HDD space I have on the computer so I'm not sure of). It can also create its own Wi-Fi connections allowing us to use our Plex library anywhere since we could just take the (Battery powered) HDD with us. Would be great for the kids on long car trips etc.

So I turn to you, my good and dear friends (Yes a Londo Mollari reference) for guidance.

Thoughts?

Offline fonebone

• don't want a pickle
  • Seasoned Contributor
Re: $100 on Amazon...what to buy
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 12:12:07 PM »
I got that HOTAS for Christmas.

I was using an X52 that was really showing its age (I think I bought it in '04) with all kinds of little glitches.  I havent actually fired up Elite Dangerous with it yet, but my X52 was awesome for it so I am not sure how the X56 couldnt be better.  The biggest complaint I have seen on the unit is the throttle is someone sticky out of the box but after a few sessions of FSX that seems to be clearing up quite nicely.  If you just work the throttle back and fourth a few times even brand new it seems to work fine and over time its getting less sticky anyways.  I will say it is a LARGE unit.  You definitely want plenty of space on your desktop for it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 12:17:21 PM by fonebone »

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 12:16:45 PM »
My only comment would be that option three, while intriguing, gets very mixed reviews.  I'd also point out that it apparently can't transcode, which makes it a poor plex server unless you've got all your videos in a format viewable on your target device.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 12:31:10 PM »
My only comment would be that option three, while intriguing, gets very mixed reviews.  I'd also point out that it apparently can't transcode, which makes it a poor plex server unless you've got all your videos in a format viewable on your target device.

One thing I figured out is that a lot of the more negative reviews are from a time before WD and Plex pushed out a firmware upgrade that, by most accounts, radically improved the performance of Plex on it.

I've been using Handbrake to covert my media into easily playable formats (and shrink the file sizes) so I don't think I'd have too many problems regarding the transcoding issue. If I have to run the conversions again I'm ok with that. I might do it anyway (using Plex's "Optimize feature") to create better versions for moving to this anyway.

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 01:42:23 PM »
I guess my other big question is...is the Roku worth it since I can get it basically free?

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 01:52:28 PM »
I guess my other big question is...is the Roku worth it since I can get it basically free?

I believe we have a Roku bouncing around but nobody uses it with blu ray players able to do the same function
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 01:53:14 PM »
Roku is a pretty nice interface.  I get the box for free when I pay my internet company for streaming... not sure I'm getting the best deal there but it's not expensive.

Biggest hassle for my viewing is having five different remote controls.

Roku
TV
DVD player
Soundbar
Laptop HDMI
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 01:56:06 PM »
I have this rule about resisting specialized game controllers.  It's a dangerous hole to fall down.  If you do end up cutting the chord, the Roku is just such a better family friendly device than a chromecast.  I'm also a believer in streaming, so I don't use Plex, so there's my bias talking.
I agree with Clunn, which makes me feel all weird inside.

Offline fonebone

• don't want a pickle
  • Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 02:09:16 PM »
I have this rule about resisting specialized game controllers.  It's a dangerous hole to fall down.  If you do end up cutting the chord, the Roku is just such a better family friendly device than a chromecast.  I'm also a believer in streaming, so I don't use Plex, so there's my bias talking.

Eh.  If you do a lot of flight/space sims a HOTAS isnt really that "specialized."  It works on a lot of games.

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 05:12:36 PM »
Thanks for posting those link.  Now when I go to Amazon guess what products it's trying to sell me?
I agree with Clunn, which makes me feel all weird inside.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 12:13:55 AM »
Thanks for posting those link.  Now when I go to Amazon guess what products it's trying to sell me?

Makes me want to post a bunch of links just to screw with you  ;D
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 07:50:11 AM »

Here's another option I'm seriously considering

http://a.co/2av6h8A

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 07:52:59 AM »

I believe we have a Roku bouncing around but nobody uses it with blu ray players able to do the same function

We have a PS3 and a Nexus Player hooked up to our main TV, the Nexus Player is used 99% of the time. The PS3 is used as a DVD/Blu-Ray player (and as a game player obviously) and gets very little loose. So if I replaced the Nexus Player with a Roku it would definitely get the majority of the use. The Nexus Player I'd move upstairs where we have a Chromecast and a PS4, right now the PS4 is what gets used as the streaming box up there.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 10:59:15 AM »
I'd be buying this http://a.co/g7kkAjH and a couple of WD Red 3TB HDDs.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 12:23:22 PM »
I'd be buying this http://a.co/g7kkAjH and a couple of WD Red 3TB HDDs.

I am considering just holding onto it to save up for a larger NAS purchase, But realistically the NAS + HDD's is out of the price range right now.

personate-rain