Author Topic: What do you think about the ISF (former JREF forum)?  (Read 2170 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
Re: What do you think about the ISF (former JREF forum)?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 03:43:03 PM »
Moderation seems to be based on popularity there.

So popular people get away with more?
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 03:43:34 PM »
Apart from tis one, there is another big English-language skeptic forum that I think you have heard of, the former JREF forum, now the ISF forum.

What do you think about that forum? What are your experiences, if any, with it?

It's a shithole, full of people who range from just JAQing off to out and out racists, as opposed to our one or two concern trolls who never have an opinion of their own to offer that we get here.  You know.  Like you.

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline Pusher Robot

• Frequent Poster
  • Do you have stairs in your house?
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 03:50:50 PM »
Apart from tis one, there is another big English-language skeptic forum that I think you have heard of, the former JREF forum, now the ISF forum.

It's a shithole, full of people who range from just JAQing off to out and out racists, as opposed to our one or two concern trolls who never have an opinion of their own to offer that we get here.  You know.  Like you.

He's calling you a concern troll with no opinion of your own to offer.
A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power off and on.
Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: “You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong.”
Knight turned the machine off and on.
The machine worked.

Online PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 04:45:46 PM »

He's calling you a concern troll with no opinion of your own to offer.

No.  That is your own expression.  I merely said that he is asks questions without offering his own opinion.  Never puts in any ante.  As the consummate semantic hair splitter, I think you would recognize that distinction.  Therefore you probably chose put those uncharitable word in my mouth.   
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 04:49:32 PM »
That's a weird thing to claim, when the quote is right there in the same post...

(This bit, I mean)
our one or two concern trolls who never have an opinion of their own to offer that we get here.  You know.  Like you.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 05:05:44 PM by amysrevenge »
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Colonel Panic

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2017, 12:32:47 AM »
Haven't been there in about 5 years, but I had some very good experiences there as well as a few lame ones. A lot of smart people there, and a lot of people who just love to bicker over minutiae.

A lot of magicians hang out there, which makes for interesting conversation. Magicians often have an insightful take on all kinds of skeptical issues.

The best times I ever had on the JREF involved situations where some true blue woo believer would show up declaring themselves to be a "skeptic," then proceed to spout all sorts of wackadoodle balderdash. So many bros with so many cool stories! So many skeptics grilling them on the details, using their critical thinking and research skills to ferret out the inconsistencies... so much deliciously creative and lighthearted ridicule!

How often do you get to pal around with fellow skeptics and actually engage with genuine, honest to god, self-professed psychics, New Age healers, ghost hunters, UFO investigators, bigfooters, conspiracists, "Freemen" libertarians, cult members, MLM scammers... the JREF attracted those people like moths to the bug-zapper.

But when the JREF forums were bad, they were really awful. A lot of the regulars in the political subforums were super-annoying.

Even worse was when the JREF became the platform for the petty infighting within the skeptic and atheist movements. I eventually quit those forums because of the incessant bickering over "Elevatorgate" and "Atheism+." That's when things really went downhill, because trolls from both ends of the political dumbbell descended on the forums to make it their battleground.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 12:43:14 AM by Colonel Panic »

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2017, 02:04:39 AM »
They're too big. They don't maintain control so flame wars erupt all over between skeptics and trolls. It's not worth the hassle to me. I used to check in there every once in a while to browse new topics but eventually even a civilized discussion draws the attention of a conspiracy nut and the thread goes to hell.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Online PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »
That's a weird thing to claim, when the quote is right there in the same post...

(This bit, I mean)
our one or two concern trolls who never have an opinion of their own to offer that we get here.  You know.  Like you.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2017, 12:10:11 PM »
Moderation seems to be based on popularity there.

So popular people get away with more?
Gee, I hadn't noticed. I left there about a year ago. Hadn't thought of it since.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Crash

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Dogspeed John Glenn.
    • What I do for fun
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2017, 12:41:29 PM »
I joined the JREF forum in 2001 but only posted there about a hundred times. I haven't posted anything since they separated from JREF.  The skeptical topics I find most compelling are about medicine and biotech.  That forum is a little scant on those subjects.  I joined because I was a big fan of Randi.  Topics were heavy on psychics, UFOs and bigfoot.  I don't find that stuff very compelling.   Celebrity gossip is also big over there and I couldn't give a shit about celebrity news.   
  Elevatorgate and the A+ hysteria over there was repugnant. It started with the proposal for rules of behavior at TAM.  From there it got really toxic.     Any mention of misogyny was shouted down or moderated to the trash bin.  I don't think that place is very welcoming to women.  Mention Rebecca Watson and there will be a shitstorm of hate. I think it got too toxic for Randi and he felt compelled to separate himself from that cesspool. 
   I came to this forum because I was a big fan of Steven Novella, SGU and the Science Based Medicine blog.  This place is not as cliquish and a little more welcoming for women. 

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2017, 12:58:38 PM »
Although I have very little personal experience with the forum formerly known as JREF, I think one of the differences between us and it was the outspoken neutral slant of the moderation, which was shaped by Beleth.

We had a small schism and a few ugly incidents preceding and during the Elevatorgate and Atheism+ wars, but despite being a "pocket of dumb", the general tone of debate on this forum never plummeted to quite the same toxic depths it did elsewhere. A big part of that is down to our rather reasonable community (and to the fact that hardly anyone can sustain a truly vile rage after listening to Steve's voice droning on so very sensibly for ten minutes), but what also helped was the mods' commitment to sticking to the same rules we expect you to follow.

Mind you, I'm not trying to stick a feather up my own backside, nor am I fishing for acknowledgement, but it's a matter of record that we even punish the people we really like when they cross the line - and I'm proud of that.                                                                                     
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline Colonel Panic

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 02:32:13 PM »
Topics were heavy on psychics, UFOs and bigfoot.  I don't find that stuff very compelling.

The bigfoot and UFO threads were so much fun! So much good humor in those discussions! And some of the contributors (on both sides of the issues) were very interesting personalities in their own right. The bigfoot skeptics tended to be inveterate outdoorsmen with a homely, unpretentious sense of humor. The UFO skeptics tended to be more technically inclined, such as engineers, professional and amateur pilots and astronomers.

The psychic/paranormal/religious experience threads were sometimes fun, but I often perceived a hint of pathos about them. The individuals claiming to have superpowers or supernatural experiences usually had a different kind of demeanor. When pressed for details about their experiences, they were generally less adamant, less argumentative. It's almost as if they were just desperate to convince everyone that they're special. Those kinds of threads often bummed me out because I felt like we were ganging up and picking on a person with a mental or emotional disadvantage.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:25:13 AM by Colonel Panic »

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 02:37:28 PM »
Topics were heavy on psychics, UFOs and I felt like we were ganging up and picking on a person with a mental or emotional disadvantage.

That's why I'm not getting involved with that Challenge whatever dude and his god-stuff threads here.  I'm assuming that everyone else is taking care of it, so I'm staying out.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline Colonel Panic

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 03:01:56 PM »
amysrevenge, I don't know if you intended to misquote, but it's a little unsettling to see my own words recombinated with Crash's like that.

On some level, most everyone deserves the respect of having their ideas considered at face value, but yeah, I generally refrain from mocking people who seem intellectually incapable or too emotionally fragile to have their beliefs critically examined. Reasoned discourse shouldn't be approached like a bloodsport.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 03:55:50 PM by Colonel Panic »

Offline Colonel Panic

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 03:52:10 PM »
To be honest, I do miss the JREF Forums.

personate-rain
personate-rain