Author Topic: What do you think about the ISF (former JREF forum)?  (Read 2042 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: What do you think about the ISF (former JREF forum)?
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 11:14:27 PM »
So, I tried to join again.  I'm pretty sure when I did the last time I used an email that no longer exists and have no way to log in to the old account. 

Any rate, I tried, they rejected me with a note that said, try again or contact us via email and ask why.  I tried again, they rejected me.  I sent an email and got an undelivered notice with the message that the inbox was full..
I can arrange to have that looked into if you like.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 11:21:52 PM »
Moderation seems to be based on popularity there.

So popular people get away with more?

That is a claim that is levelled against the moderators on a regular basis. Having been one myself in the past, I can say that some posters do develop what has come to be referred to (sometimes disparagingly) as a "body of work". Those who draw many infractions do tend to be pigeonholed, but that doesn't mean that the popular people don't get infracted as well. There have been several very contentious incidents where undeniably popular people have broken the rules too many times and been banned, to the upset and outrage of many (I'm thinking of Dr Adequate, if you're interested in an example).

Another thing to think about is that when infracted, some people put up protests, appeal decisions and generally make a lot of noise and fuss that they've been picked on. Other people say "it's a fair cop", accept the infraction, and refrain from the behaviour that drew the infraction in the first place. Which one of those infractions are you going to notice? Of course, you'll notice the one who's screaming "unfair!!!" and the other will escape your attention.

So no. Moderation is not based on popularity. But there are several reasons why some people think it looks like it is. And hey - moderators are people too. Sometimes they make bad calls.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 11:23:05 PM »
But when the JREF forums were bad, they were really awful. A lot of the regulars in the political subforums were super-annoying.

Particularly the US Politics subforum. Because who could have predicted that?

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 09:59:43 AM »
To be honest, I do miss the JREF Forums.
I miss the RDF forums, especially Feral OT.  ;D

Offline Colonel Panic

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2017, 10:42:03 AM »
But when the JREF forums were bad, they were really awful. A lot of the regulars in the political subforums were super-annoying.

Particularly the US Politics subforum. Because who could have predicted that?

The political forums were always ragers because of course we have skeptics on both sides of every aisle. (Or at least a lot of people who self-identify as such...)

I quite enjoyed it when they managed to keep it on topic. Like the threads where staunch Austrian School wonks would go head-to-head against haughty Marxists on issues like free trade and managed economy. Good, spirited debate with some funny personal barbs thrown in, but people generally didn't get too butthurt about it.

The threads about social justice issues were invariably the worst, because too many people on both sides of those arguments just can't maintain a reasonable, level-headed tone of discussion. Maybe those identity politics issues just hit too close to home for some, but those threads invariably seemed to break down into self-righteous saviors on one side, with despicable trolls on the other trying to rile them up for cheap kicks.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2017, 03:56:40 AM »
I do have to say that the ISF has been in a bit of a decline. It's certainly not what it once was. But it's still my home.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2017, 06:38:33 AM »
I do have to say that the ISF has been in a bit of a decline. It's certainly not what it once was. But it's still my home.

No matter how far or how wide you roam
You still call the JRF home.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2017, 03:23:54 AM »

No matter how far or how wide you roam
You still call the JRF home.

Well, apart from calling it the ISF now, yeah. It's my place.

Don't get me wrong - I love this place too. I wouldn't hang here otherwise. But ISF is my home.

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2017, 05:58:34 PM »
So, since the ISF would accept me I joined the Skeptics Society Forum, its dominated by holocaust denial talk, weird right?

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2017, 02:23:30 AM »
So, since the ISF would accept me I joined the Skeptics Society Forum, its dominated by holocaust denial talk, weird right?

I can't remember whether I followed up with the admins. Do you want me to chase it?

Online Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2017, 10:40:44 AM »

Wouldn't?

They didn't accept me either. Oh well.

Edit: I think I'm thinking of a different forum?

Offline Beleth

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2017, 07:13:32 PM »
I loved the JREF forum, even in its early days when it was just mildly dysfunctional. I wrote the Million Dollar Challenge FAQ despite the Foundation officers saying that they didn't need one... which they later turned into its own web page.

I met some people I'm still good friends with there. I met Rebecca there, and that's why I'm here.

But they changed over the years, like the proverbial pot with the frog in it, and I had to suspend them from my reading list in 2007 after a particularly disappointing call by the head mod Darat.

These days, all I know about it is what Arth says about it here, and what a lot of other expatriates say about it in a Facebook group that has, sadly, turned into a source of schadenfreude about the decreasing participation stats at the new forum.
I expect to pass through this world but once;
any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now;
let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-- Stephan Grellet

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2017, 03:05:12 AM »
Participation stats are, indeed, declining. There is a fairly long-running thread where people complain about the new management and repeatedly claim that the forum is dying.

And yet, there we all still are. The landscape of people changes slowly over time - old hands leave and new hands arrive. Despite the (somewhat justified, perhaps) claim of cliquism, whatever old cliques there were have long since gone and made way for new cliques. Which sort of negates the description of them as cliques, in my opinion.

Personally I don't see much cliquism. It has been suggested previously that this might be because I am firmly in the clique, but I don't see myself favouring some posters over others. There are posters I like and posters I dislike, but these are my own opinions and I don't even know whether they are shared by others except inasmuch as they express their own opinions. There are several posters I dislike, for example, about whom other posters have expressed admiration. I don't feel like there's an "inner circle" consisting of only certain people, while other people are excluded.

That, as I said, is just me, and my view may well be considered to be privileged.

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2017, 11:08:25 AM »
So, I've been on the ISF for a few weeks now, thanks to arth(I bet he regrets that).  My biggest complaint, too much traffic.  Its hard to keep up with.  The thread about Trump's accusing obama of wire tapping him is like 10 pages already. 

I could be wrong but it does seem legitimately more international than this forum, that might just be a function of being more active.  There seems to be more diversity of opinion but probably not complexion or gender.

Some of my impression is likely driven by the fact that I recognize the usually crowd here so I have a better feel for the size of the active user base here where I don't recognize the usual suspects there so much.  But, I've been experimenting with a few forums lately and ISF seems to be the largest.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 11:11:06 AM by Ah.hell »

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2017, 12:46:25 PM »
I agree ah.hell.  There is also a lot more noise to signal there.  Here at least many of the people I might disagree with are able and willing to articulate an opinion.  Over there its more like the argument sketch.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

personate-rain