Author Topic: Episode #600  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #600
« on: January 07, 2017, 12:39:33 PM »
Guest Rogue: George Hrab; In Memoriam: Carrie Fisher and Vera Rubin; Psychic Predictions; News Items: Motivated Reasoning, Deep Sea Discoveries; Who’s That Noisy; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline elert

• Off to a Start
    • The Physics Hypertextbook
Re: Episode #600
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 05:25:01 PM »
I predict that Donald Trump will reveal that a government agency has possession of an alien life form. He will then follow this up with a later statement that he never said that.

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 06:25:02 PM »
On Jay's prediction, there is no single arctic ice shelf. There are a few different ones attached to Canada, Greenland, and Russia. The vast majority of ice stored in ice shelves is in the Antarctic.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 12:45:30 AM »
Maybe he meant ice cap?

It's already on the way out, though!
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 01:32:16 AM »
Maybe he meant ice cap?

It's already on the way out, though!
Wow, that is an awesome (and terrifying) animation. I'm sure that's what Jay meant. I just wanted to earn points for being a super annoying pedant :)

Offline bachfiend

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 03:29:35 AM »
Actually the number of the beast is '616' not '666'.  The '666' was an early mistranslation.

The special broadcast, and confirming Michael Egnor's opinion of Steve, would be in 4 months.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 09:02:18 AM »
The guys were looking for a Strong female presence in a science fiction (or Science Fantasy) setting, similar to Carrie Fisher with Princess Leia, and they didn't name Ellen Ripley (Sigourney Weaver)  ???

Ripley in Alien (1979) was only 2 years after Leia in Star Wars. Jay and George would have been too young to see it, and have her as a female hero, until years later

But Bob and Steve would have seen it close to it's first run.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 09:37:04 AM »
Or Emily Blunt in Edge of Tomorrow
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 09:50:04 AM »

She is certainly now. But their discussion was more for when they were young. Steve mentioned Wonder Woman (Linda Carter) and Bob mentioned "Electra Woman and Dyna Girl" which I was unfamiliar with (Not everything in the 70's made it to Australia)

I was perfectly aged for both Leia and Ripley being 15 & 17 when the movies hit the theatres.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 10:45:20 AM »

She is certainly now. But their discussion was more for when they were young. Steve mentioned Wonder Woman (Linda Carter) and Bob mentioned "Electra Woman and Dyna Girl" which I was unfamiliar with (Not everything in the 70's made it to Australia)

I was perfectly aged for both Leia and Ripley being 15 & 17 when the movies hit the theatres.

Edge of Tomorrow is one of my favorioute movies, in large part because of her performance.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 12:41:37 PM »
I haven't listened to it yet, but I noticed that it is significantly longer than the episodes usually are. Almost two hours! How come?
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline jameshenryhay

• Brand New
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2017, 01:05:35 PM »
Steve, you put up the citation for the original discoverer of penicillin, but do you have a link about the use of irradiation to produce a fungus which would produce mass quantities of it?

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 02:42:40 PM »
I got SoF right again! Whoopee for me! And none of the rogues got it. Ha! I knew that Edison was a scoundrel who stole the inventions of others, and although I was not certain about Franklin, I've always had a high opinion of him. I didn't know about the penicillin one, but figured Franklin was probably the real inventor of the things attributed to him. Perhaps if the rogues had a better grasp of history generally they'd have known how different was the character of those two men.

My psychic predictions:

1. Peanut butter will secede from the U.S.

2. A well-known conspiracy nut will go viral with a claim that a high-profile disease was actually brought back to Earth from the moon by the Apollo astronauts. This conspiracy theory will be widely adopted, including by people who have long claimed the astronauts never actually went to the moon.

3. The curator of primates at the San Diego zoo will publish an open letter asking people to stop referring to Donald Trump as a baboon, because it's insulting to the baboons and causing them to become despondent and refuse their food.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 02:54:18 PM »

They were talking about Carrie Fisher's influence on their childhood in the 1970's, when there were very few female role models in Sci-Fi.  Sigourney Weaver's Ellen Ripley in 1979 is relevant to the discussion and a perhaps surprising omission from the discussion, but a character from a movie released nearly 40 years later is not.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 06:47:41 PM »

They were talking about Carrie Fisher's influence on their childhood in the 1970's, when there were very few female role models in Sci-Fi.  Sigourney Weaver's Ellen Ripley in 1979 is relevant to the discussion and a perhaps surprising omission from the discussion, but a character from a movie released nearly 40 years later is not.

Latinist, we're expanding the discussion from the seeds on the show - as is normal for this forum and conversations in general. She is a modern example - all too rare - of a strong female character in SF and action genres.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

personate-rain