Author Topic: Should national space agencies merge to a higher degree?  (Read 157 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
Should national space agencies merge to a higher degree?
« on: January 07, 2017, 03:20:44 PM »
The EU (plus some non-EU members like Norway and Switzerland) has ESA as its space agency. This all makes sense, as European countries are too small to effectively run independent national space agencies.

With that in mind, would it make sense for space agencies around the world to merge? For example, why does the USA and Canada have separate space agencies? They are two culturally very similar countries with good relations, and to me it looks like a net win if NASA and CSA merged. It would mean more resources, and the combined space agency would have access to talent in both countries.

Another thing is, that when humanity eventually starts to seriously colonize space (maybe a few centuries ahead), I'd think it to be a positive if humanity as a whole did it, rather than various countries competing with each other to grab as much extraterrestial land as possible.

What do you think?
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
Re: Should national space agencies merge to a higher degree?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 03:43:31 PM »
The EU (plus some non-EU members like Norway and Switzerland) has ESA as its space agency. This all makes sense, as European countries are too small to effectively run independent national space agencies.

With that in mind, would it make sense for space agencies around the world to merge? For example, why does the USA and Canada have separate space agencies? They are two culturally very similar countries with good relations, and to me it looks like a net win if NASA and CSA merged. It would mean more resources, and the combined space agency would have access to talent in both countries.

It makes a lot of sense. I can think of two reasons why not, though:

1. Competition fosters innovation (though this is an outdated reason; no "man on the moon" goals to foster competition right now)

2. Picking a person or committee to decide where the funding is going to go would be nigh impossible, and even if they did, there would forever be concerns about which countries are reaping the most benefit or getting their preferred projects selected.

Another thing is, that when humanity eventually starts to seriously colonize space (maybe a few centuries ahead), I'd think it to be a positive if humanity as a whole did it, rather than various countries competing with each other to grab as much extraterrestial land as possible.

Totally. I doubt it will even be possible without a worldwide effort.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 04:01:24 PM »
In theory, yes.  In reality, I don't see Trump's administration seeking any sort of partnership with any external countries, for NASA or really anything.

Online daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 05:01:48 PM »

What do you think?

Yes.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 06:57:49 PM »
Sounds like a way to increase the problem of dealing with governments that "change their minds" with each election and make it difficult to plan and work on the long term projects that space missions usually are.

personate-rain