Author Topic: Spectacular collision of suns will create new star in night sky in 2022  (Read 316 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
I don't think this has been well vetted but be amazing if it actually happens when he predicts
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/01/06/spectacular-collision-suns-will-create-new-star-night-sky-2022/

Now 1800 years later the light from that collision will finally arrive on Earth creating a new star in the night sky - dubbed the ‘Boom Star - in an incredibly rare event which is usually only spotted through telescopes.

Before their meeting the two stars were too dim to be seen by the naked eye, but in 2022, the newly formed Red Nova will burn so brightly in the constellation Cygnus that everyone will be able to to see it.

"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
The article mentions the Epiphany timing of the announcement (celebrating the visit of the Magi), perhaps not a coincidence. Calvin College is the primary college of the conservative Christian Reformed Church, the Dutch Reformed spin-off I mentioned in another thread.

It was actually while living near Calvin many years ago that I saw a presentation at the local planetarium that cast the Christmas Star story as a real astrological event.

Still hard to explain how the Christmas star was "over" a particularly place, however, and could be followed. Minor trivia: the Bible never says there were three Magi.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
I don't have any reason to doubt his calculations, but I find the epiphany-timed press conference distasteful.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Shibboleth

• Too Much Spare Time
I am sure there will be a group of people that castrate themselves in preparation for this event.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
If it happens even around that time, there will plenty of astronomers salvating at the thought of seeing it. . . . Of course after Trump shuts down NASA. . . . .
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online seamas

• Well Established
Minor trivia: the Bible never says there were three Magi.

Well, no one really counts Ringo.

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
I don't have any reason to doubt his calculations, but I find the epiphany-timed press conference distasteful.
I was once among the group that would claim that there is no conflict between the Bible accounts and the science if you just understand the science correctly.

Now I just say science is science, and the Bible accounts are evolved stories, passed through numerous layers of oral tradition, translations and editors. Any relationship to actual historical natural events is coincidence. The exist because they survived various winowings, the last being Gutenberg.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline Colonel Panic

• Not Enough Spare Time

Perhaps a better question is whether there's any reason not to doubt them.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 04:19:05 PM by Colonel Panic »

personate-rain