Poll

Should Charles Manson Be Offered Euthanasia?

Yes - It's the humane thing to do
20 (90.9%)
No - Life means until natural death.
2 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: January 16, 2017, 06:37:02 PM

Author Topic: Charles Manson Moribund  (Read 951 times)

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Charles Manson Moribund
« on: January 09, 2017, 06:37:02 PM »
News is that the doctors think he's too weak to handle an operation without which he can't survive.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Charles Manson Moribund
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 06:59:52 PM »
Where's my "dun cur" option?

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 07:10:02 PM »
We should be better than him
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 08:05:08 PM »
I don't see the need to make people stay alive if they don't want to be. I also think we should offer peaceful and painless ways for people to end their lives. I don't see people being imprisoned making a difference, although there needs to be safeguards against coercion in any case.

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • So it goes.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 09:42:01 PM »
I don't see the need to make people stay alive if they don't want to be. I also think we should offer peaceful and painless ways for people to end their lives. I don't see people being imprisoned making a difference, although there needs to be safeguards against coercion in any case.

Yup.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »
I have mixed feelings. In most places, nobody is offered euthanasia. Why should we offer release to a horrible criminal when we don't offer the same to anyone else? But OTOH I do believe that euthanasia should be an option for anyone who chooses it. I remember the Manson murders (not clearly; I remember my feelings more than the details) and I have an intense emotional disgust for the man.

I will say he should be offered euthanasia if and only if that becomes the path to making it available to anyone who chooses it.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 10:02:46 AM »
We should be better than him
So does that mean euthanize or not?

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 11:08:31 AM »

I think his original sentence WAS euthanasia.

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 11:50:21 AM »
I will say he should be offered euthanasia if and only if that becomes the path to making it available to anyone who chooses it.

Yeah, that's kind of the bigger point of discussion.

Euthanasia ought to be available to everybody for whatever reason.

I kind of like the idea of practicing on moribund malevolent prisoners first though... until they get the perfect protocol figured out.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 12:21:13 PM »

Yeah, that's kind of the bigger point of discussion.

Euthanasia ought to be available to everybody for whatever reason.

I kind of like the idea of practicing on moribund malevolent prisoners first though... until they get the perfect protocol figured out.

Do you mean the protocol for deciding who gets to be euthanized, or the protocol for which drugs work best? Because we already have the latter for household pets.

Kurt Vonnegut liked the idea of euthanasia centers where very tall, blond-haired black women (he liked tall, blond-haired black women) would administer euthanasia to anyone who requested it. With perhaps minor reservations, I like the idea, though I don't find light-colored hair attractive on dark-skinned women. My own preference is that the hair should be darker than the skin or the same or similar shade. But I think we could compromise on giving clients a choice of what sort of person euthanizes them. I also think that we should provide a reasonable variety of methods to choose from. Painless injection is bound to be popular, but some people might prefer hanging or being shot or the guillotine, and some might choose more extreme methods like being fed to lions or boiled in oil, though I think that last would not be terribly popular.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Pusher Robot

• Frequent Poster
  • Do you have stairs in your house?
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 01:19:04 PM »
A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power off and on.
Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: “You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong.”
Knight turned the machine off and on.
The machine worked.

Offline ShadowSot

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 03:50:27 PM »
I kept reading the thread title as Marilyn Manson. Oi.

“I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb.”
 - Richard Feynman

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 03:57:08 PM »
Heard someone point out on maybe a podcast that this could be a good sign for 2017. 2016 basically started with David Bowie dying, 2017 is starting with Charles Manson on his way out.

Offline SnarlPatrick

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 09:34:02 AM »
Yes and hopefully it would be a cultural turning point to offering it to non-criminals in hopeless and painful circumstances. I don't agree with this "euthanise for any reason" thing. If the government or some other organisation is offering the service, they have a burden of due diligence with respect to soundness of mind or a determination of suffering and so on. No questions asked suicide centres seem like a bad idea, even if they are a logical extension of our philosophical first principles. Manic depressives would be in big trouble, for example.

As for the method of euthanasia, I never understand why we don't use helium hypoxia. It seems completely peaceful and reliable. It is the suicide method of choice for doctors... the Hopkins pervert gyno killed himself that way. It is a non-toxic except when breathed in the absence of oxygen, and produced no feeling of smothering, as I understand it.
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • So it goes.
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 10:25:44 PM »
As for the method of euthanasia, I never understand why we don't use helium hypoxia. It seems completely peaceful and reliable. It is the suicide method of choice for doctors... the Hopkins pervert gyno killed himself that way. It is a non-toxic except when breathed in the absence of oxygen, and produced no feeling of smothering, as I understand it.

Or a football helmet filled with C4 in the middle of an open field.  Why do we have to beat around the bush?  It would be quick, painless, and I've always wished for my remains to be scavenged by critters.

This comes back to something I was thinking about mentioning in the Roof thread: lethal injection is stupid.  Physical separation of the body into small, dead pieces is something mankind has become very efficient at over the last few centuries of modern war.  The fact that we need to go with a more error prone method of execution just because people are squeamish violates people's constitutional protection against cruel punishment.  End it quick, end it with a bang.