Poll

Should Charles Manson Be Offered Euthanasia?

Yes - It's the humane thing to do
20 (90.9%)
No - Life means until natural death.
2 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: January 16, 2017, 06:37:02 PM

Author Topic: Charles Manson Moribund  (Read 813 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Charles Manson Moribund
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 10:31:09 PM »
A question with lethal injection. . . .Why don't they just do something like ten times the lethal dose of morphine? Isn't it completely painless? Why this "cocktail?"
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 08:42:32 AM »
A question with lethal injection. . . .Why don't they just do something like ten times the lethal dose of morphine? Isn't it completely painless? Why this "cocktail?"

Don't you get really sick before it hits you? Seems to me I read about heroine addicts getting really sick after injecting, and before the effects hit. Lethal injection, if done right (and in practice, they don't always get it right; sometimes they fuck it up) first puts you to sleep, just like when they put you under anesthesia for surgery, and then stops your breathing.

... Or a football helmet filled with C4 in the middle of an open field.  Why do we have to beat around the bush?  It would be quick, painless, and I've always wished for my remains to be scavenged by critters. ...

Probably something about germs and having all that rotting flesh lying about spreading disease.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • So it goes.
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 08:52:39 AM »
... Or a football helmet filled with C4 in the middle of an open field.  Why do we have to beat around the bush?  It would be quick, painless, and I've always wished for my remains to be scavenged by critters. ...

Probably something about germs and having all that rotting flesh lying about spreading disease.

Make it a big field.  Cordon off a big plot in Nevada, give the condemned a suicide vest and a button and let them loose.  I mean, when I think of how I'd want to be executed, if it came to it, I can't think of anything I'd much prefer over that.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 11:25:05 AM »
Don't you get really sick before it hits you? Seems to me I read about heroine addicts getting really sick after injecting, and before the effects hit. Lethal injection, if done right (and in practice, they don't always get it right; sometimes they fuck it up) first puts you to sleep, just like when they put you under anesthesia for surgery, and then stops your breathing.

No, lethal injection, even as designed, might be incredibly painful, but done in a way that nobody can tell.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1876425/
In fact, individuals undergoing execution have continued to breathe after the injection of thiopental, and their hearts have continued to beat following injection of potassium; in these cases, the authors conclude, it is quite likely that those being executed have experienced asphyxiation while conscious and unable to move, and possibly an intense burning pain throughout the body from the potassium injection.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 11:28:14 AM »
Yeah, lethal injection is arguably more inhumane than other forms of execution like hanging or the firing squad. It's really pretty nasty when you look at it.
If we don't discover the mistakes of the future we are doomed to repeat them for the first time. - Ken M

Online Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 11:30:56 AM »
Heard someone point out on maybe a podcast that this could be a good sign for 2017. 2016 basically started with David Bowie dying, 2017 is starting with Charles Manson on his way out.

At the end of this year:

"Little did we know, Charles Manson was what we needed."

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 03:43:42 PM »

No, lethal injection, even as designed, might be incredibly painful, but done in a way that nobody can tell.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1876425/
In fact, individuals undergoing execution have continued to breathe after the injection of thiopental, and their hearts have continued to beat following injection of potassium; in these cases, the authors conclude, it is quite likely that those being executed have experienced asphyxiation while conscious and unable to move, and possibly an intense burning pain throughout the body from the potassium injection.

Thanks for that information. FWIW, I have opposed the death penalty for as long as I can remember. You've given me an additional reason to be additionally opposed to this particular method, in addition to being opposed to execution across the board. (Though I support the right of any person who so chooses to be euthanized.)
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 07:58:12 PM »
Fuck it lets just bring back Crucifixions.

I am just kidding that would be a horrible way to go. Unless that is the way you want to go... horribly.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 10:28:54 PM »
Fuck it lets just bring back Crucifixions.

I am just kidding that would be a horrible way to go. Unless that is the way you want to go... horribly.

Some people seem to have a fetish for it  ???
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 08:19:57 AM »
If you're going to whack someone, or you want to end your own life, the guillotine might be the quickest and most painless. Of course, I don't know how long the brain remains aware after the head's been chopped off.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2017, 05:40:30 PM »
I'd go for the inert gas asphyxiation. I don't know how foolproof that is, but guillotines can fail, and being partially guillotined has to be horrific.

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2017, 06:24:01 PM »
But the mass murderer, with at least seven killings to his credit, is likely pleased with himself for the ride he has taken the state on by living to the ripe age of 82. To cover his extended stay in prison, California has paid double the amount that it would have cost to execute Manson after his conviction. And his memory will always be with us: His picture -- often smiling if not glaring -- still stalks us from crime magazines on the supermarket shelf.

I always think when I hear financial arguments about capital punishment vs life without parole (mostly from anti capital punishment groups), that they don't really have actual numbers.  Maybe for the trial phases they do, but not for the prison terms. 

That means the state’s taxpayers may soon finally stop paying to keep him alive -- a tab that has easily already exceeded $2 million. Of course, owing to the amorphous nature of the actual costs of incarcerating a single prisoner, the total expense California has incurred for Manson may never be accurately tallied.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2017, 06:59:33 PM »
The actual two better reasons are
1. Should we be executing people as a state
2. There are way too many cases where there is at least a chance the defendant is innocent and even a number where the evidence seems to show that the defended was/is innocent.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2017, 07:11:44 PM »
The actual two better reasons are
1. Should we be executing people as a state
2. There are way too many cases where there is at least a chance the defendant is innocent and even a number where the evidence seems to show that the defended was/is innocent.

That is my biggest reasons for not having a death penalty.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams