Author Topic: Trump and vaccines  (Read 627 times)

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Not Enough Spare Time
Trump and vaccines
« on: January 10, 2017, 02:35:19 PM »
This seems like a very ominous development:
http://www.vox.com/2017/1/10/14225038/trump-robert-f-kennedy-jr-anti-vaxxer-autism-vaccine

Not surprising. I look forward to hearing the SGU respond to this. I think we have officially moved from the "let's not comment until things actually happen" to the "well, he is doing exactly what he said he'd do, so maybe it is time to comment" stage.

Also, not that the cabinet confirmation hearings have started. U.S. skeptics, please contact your senators about the scientifically appalling picks (e.g., Betsy DeVos for Sec. of Education). Hope the SGU spreads the word on the need for action.

Online Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
Re: Trump and vaccines
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 02:57:54 PM »
It's like he's combining the "What global warming?  Pot can kill you!  Second hand smoke isn't a thing." bullshit from the right with the, "Wifi causes cancer!  Natural is good because it's from nature.  Aging is just a condition we can cure!" idiocy on the left.  He's managed to bring together crazies, reaching across the aisle to all forms of ignorant stupid!
(click to show/hide)

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 03:04:16 PM »
It's like an anti-matter version of Dr. Novella was elected President.

On the positive side, opposing Trump on these issues of science could have a unifying effect on skeptics from different political backgrounds.

Online Ah.hell

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 03:08:37 PM »
Trump really should be something that libertarians and liberals and even thoughtful conservatives should be able to agree on.

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 03:12:27 PM »
As they said on the SGU when they named him Jackass of the year, the man believes EVERY conspiracy out there--and only seems to doubt legitimate experts.
So much so that he tends to save his worst venom for the people in this world that are the BEST at what they do and champions only the fringe-iest of ideas.

I mean he can't possibly ever say anything good about anyone--but when asked about Putin's many faults --well, then there is room for skepticism.

Online Zed

• Off to a Start
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 03:33:03 PM »
It's like he's combining the "What global warming?  Pot can kill you!  Second hand smoke isn't a thing." bullshit from the right with the, "Wifi causes cancer!  Natural is good because it's from nature.  Aging is just a condition we can cure!" idiocy on the left.  He's managed to bring together crazies, reaching across the aisle to all forms of ignorant stupid!

This definitely scares me the most about him. In this particular case, with the woo promoter being a Kennedy, it has the added political benefit of appearing non-political or politically unifying to the causal observer.

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 03:58:03 PM »
The thing is that I think he's going to have to get funding for this through the appropriations process. I'm not sure if even the GOP is going to care enough.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 04:52:58 PM »
Whomever is president next is still probably going to have so much rebuilding that it is going to take likely a decade or more to repair whatever damage Trump does. My only hope is that it burns people hard enough to know that this is just a bad idea.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
Anti-Vaxxer in charge of Vaccine committee
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 05:15:19 PM »
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/trump-meets-anti-vaccine-activist-after-raising-fringe-theory-trail-n705296

"After meeting with President-elect Donald Trump at Trump Tower Tuesday, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. told reporters that Trump has asked him to "chair a commission on vaccination safety and scientific integrity" and that he has accepted."

This article by NBC is very well reported.  There's no false balance crap.

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Not Enough Spare Time
Re: Anti-Vaxxer in charge of Vaccine committee
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 05:24:52 PM »
Happy to see good reporting on this. Folks are discussing it on this thread:
http://sguforums.com/index.php/topic,48007.0.html

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 05:35:16 PM »
shouldn't it have been called the anti-vaccine committee?

I'll just show myself out.

Offline seamas

• Well Established
Re: Anti-Vaxxer in charge of Vaccine committee
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 05:44:48 PM »
You know, Trump taking this position might be the best thing that EVER happened to the issue and might make Robert Jr go away forever.

(JFK Jr is an awful person)

Online Crash

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Dogspeed John Glenn.
    • What I do for fun
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 08:33:19 PM »
  Robert F. Kennedy Jr.  The name implies credibility you would think?  Even I was convinced for a moment when I read his article in Salon in 2005.     Over at the Randi forum the article was trashed from the get go.  It was  the olden days before we had Science Based Medicine blog. 
  The Trump transition has reached a new low. I'm beginning to think that Trump is hostile to science. A science teacher gave him a D grade once I guess.   It's getting late with inauguration coming up to start behaving pressidential.
   Outside the skeptic community, the RFK jr  name still means something.  I used to like his show on Air America and he was the greenest environmental activist.  When I read the Salon article I gave his name some weight but I can't believe I ever believed vaccines caused autism.  By the time Salon retracted the article the consensus was that RFK jr was a crackpot.  When he visited California a while back to fight the Vaccine SB 277 I listened to him speak to the Commonwealth Club.  He kept repeating the trope of autistic kids in helmets and saying "Their brains are gone!".  RFK jr does not ingratiate himself to the real people along the autistic spectrum. 

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 08:39:32 PM »
It's as though he's gearing up to hit the public sector like a corporate raider.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Online Hanes

• Misanthrope.
  • So it goes.
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 09:36:23 PM »
The Trump transition has reached a new low.

No, that was either when he handed over our foreign policy to Russia and the global oil oligarchs vis a vis Rex Tillerson or when he handed over the justice department to the openly racist and anti-voter Jeff Sessions.  Or when he gave the education department to noted anti-education advocate Betsy DeVos.  Or was it when he handed the Environmental Protection Agency to the farcically pro-earthquake Scott Pruitt?  Or the DOE to the person who has openly advocated for the destruction of (and forgotten the existence of) the DOE?  His anti-worker labor secretary?  The Secretary of Housing and Urban Development who has said he would be a liability in that roll, since he has no idea how to manage an agency?

Honestly, and I say this with empathy towards all of the people who will suffer and their families, if the worst thing that comes out of DJ Tinyhands' administration is anti-vaccination garbage then we got off light.

Climate change will ruin us, at a bare minimum.

personate-rain