Author Topic: Chromecast and Amazon Video  (Read 456 times)

Online Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
Chromecast and Amazon Video
« on: January 10, 2017, 03:29:42 PM »
I just got a TV that has Google Chromecast built in.  When I cast Netflix from my PC, no problem.  But, when I cast Amazon Prime videos, they are unbearably choppy.

I read online to click on my Chromecast button in Chrome, go to settings, and change the resolution.  I also read to go to Amazon Prime, Settings, Web Player Options, and change my player to Adobe.  I also found articles that said to disable Microsoft Silverlight.

None of these things work.  My Chromecast button does not give me any options.  I found the options on the video itself by clicking the gear icon and switched from HD to SD, but the video did not change to SD and was still choppy.  Amazon Prime does not have Web Player Options in settings anymore, and my Chrome doesn't have Silverlight installed at all.

Have any of you recently gone through this and figured out how to get Amazon Prime to cast from a PC?  Funny enough, it worked much better from my phone, only getting choppy for 2 seconds every 5 minutes or so, whereas on my PC it is always choppy.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Re: Chromecast and Amazon Video
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 10:37:54 PM »
I don't have a PC and therefore don't have an answer to your question, but I've generally found Amazon Prime streaming to be of inferior quality to Netflix's. Which is strange, because Amazon has incredible backhaul which they use to run half the web.*

* This figure is hyperbole.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 11:22:14 PM »
 Amazon Prime does have crappy video, I have a smart tv that has the app built in but I use a chromecast for other things (like HBO) I ended up dropping my amazon prime after a year of service. I generally just think it sucks. I also get much better chromecast service using my android phone or my Ipad2 rather than a PC, I'm not sure why that is.  Im getting ready to purchase the more expensive one with the cat5 port for streaming higher quality stuff.  My TV has a jack and it does Netflix at a much higher quality wired than the wireless chromecast can. Amazon prime still looked crappy on the Tv while wired in.

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 09:11:31 AM »
I quit NetFlix's streaming service (still get discs from them) a year or more ago (don't remember when) because their throughput got so slow that I couldn't watch anything. Literally, it would stop every 30 seconds and re-buffer for at least that long.

I have two ways to watch Amazon Prime streaming:

Through the BluRay player & TV in front of the treadmill. It takes a minute or so to load and start, but the quality is excellent. Excellent resolution and never choppy.

On the iPad through the Amazon Video app. Videos start immediately but the resolution is crappy for the first minute or three, then clears up and is excellent. As above, never choppy.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 09:15:34 AM »
I quit NetFlix's streaming service (still get discs from them) a year or more ago (don't remember when) because their throughput got so slow that I couldn't watch anything. Literally, it would stop every 30 seconds and re-buffer for at least that long.

That is strange to me.  I literally don't think I've ever had Netflix buffer mid-stream.  Maybe if I was in a marginal area on a cellular device.  But on broadband?  Never.  Did you perhaps have one of the carriers who was trying to extort money out of Netflix by degrading service quality to force them to pay for priority routing? 
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 09:49:43 AM »
I have a regular Chromecast, and I found that for one channel, HGTV, I get a more consistent display running it as a mirror from the Chrome browser than directly from their app. I have no idea why their app is so crappy.

Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 11:05:27 AM »

That is strange to me.  I literally don't think I've ever had Netflix buffer mid-stream.  Maybe if I was in a marginal area on a cellular device.  But on broadband?  Never.  Did you perhaps have one of the carriers who was trying to extort money out of Netflix by degrading service quality to force them to pay for priority routing? 

That was my suspicion. But I don't know. My ISP is Comcast. I typically have blazingly fast internet. And at the times when NetFlix was effectively non-functional, Amazon operated just fine, and a speed test showed high numbers. I never reinstated NetFlix because I just didn't see the need for two streaming services. Aside from 3 or 4 movies a week (on disc, because even the best streaming falls short of DVD, and cannot compare with BluRay) I might watch a nature video while doing my cardio and the occasional Doctor Who on the iPad.

If it wasn't Comcast throttling NetFlix, I thought it might have been that NetFlix didn't have enough bandwidth to meet the demand at the server serving my particular area. I even wondered if NetFlix might have been using Amazon services, and Amazon was screwing with them. But it's all wild speculation. The only hard fact was that NetFlix crapped out and I dropped them.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 02:23:52 PM »
Yeah, Comcast was the biggest offender at throttling Netflix. Netflix has plenty of bandwidth to serve its end of the streaming.  Comcast, though, saw Netflix as a competitor, and wanted Netflix to pay for its end of the streaming, too.  And in the end Netflix had to pay to keep its customers happy, despite the fact that those customers had already paid Comcast for unlimited broadband data.  I really detest Comcast.

I'm very lucky to have an ISP (Cablevision/Optimum) that took a different tact.  They realized that providing the best service to their customers was in their own interest, so they made collocation agreements with Netflix that put Netflix' own servers in Optimum facilities and gave them a direct connection to the network.  The result is perfect streaming every time.

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 03:43:35 PM »
I've never had any problems with comcast throttling netflix, they seem to have a partnership and now you can get Netflix from the comcast box by going into apps. It might be an X1 thing but so far has worked great and like the comcast/netflix interface better than the netflix interface on my blue ray player.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 05:18:33 PM »
I never got Amazon to work satisfactorily on my chromecast either so I got a firestick instead. That plays Amazon no problem and everything else as well. The only thing I miss is being able to drag a desktop video file into Chrome and cast it, but i just plug in the laptop for that since it didn't cast all file types either.

I know that doesn't help you OP, but I'm not sure there's a good solution. If you have a smart TV can't you just add an amazon app?
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Online Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 05:34:34 PM »
The funny thing is that it is not a smart TV.  It has built-in wireless and chromecast, but as far as I can tell, chromecast is the only thing I can do with the wireless.

Here it is: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-49-class-48-5-diag--led-2160p-with-chromecast-built-in-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/4882800.p?skuId=4882800

I got it for $250 on Black Friday so I can't really complain.  Maybe I will get a firestick.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 05:56:24 PM »
Not to contradict you because you know your tv better than I do, but that link says smart enabled and shows a Netflix and YouTube icon.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 06:18:36 PM »
when you use the chromecast to mirror amazon video, it sends the video from your pc back to your tv.  The quality depends on your internet speed, your internal network speed, and the specs of the pc you are using.

one thing you can try is to use the chromecast extension and reduce the casting quality

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/129736-google-chromecast-tips-17-ways-to-enhance-your-streaming-experience

Online Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 06:19:55 PM »
Im still not exactly sure what chrome cast is.
Can someone explain it? Is it a replacement for an HDMI chord?

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 07:12:22 PM »
Yeah, Comcast was the biggest offender at throttling Netflix. Netflix has plenty of bandwidth to serve its end of the streaming.  Comcast, though, saw Netflix as a competitor, and wanted Netflix to pay for its end of the streaming, too.  And in the end Netflix had to pay to keep its customers happy, despite the fact that those customers had already paid Comcast for unlimited broadband data.  I really detest Comcast.

I'm very lucky to have an ISP (Cablevision/Optimum) that took a different tact.  They realized that providing the best service to their customers was in their own interest, so they made collocation agreements with Netflix that put Netflix' own servers in Optimum facilities and gave them a direct connection to the network.  The result is perfect streaming every time.

Okay. That explains it. I don't really have a choice of ISP. No other option comes anywhere near the bandwidth.

I've never had any problems with comcast throttling netflix, they seem to have a partnership and now you can get Netflix from the comcast box by going into apps. It might be an X1 thing but so far has worked great and like the comcast/netflix interface better than the netflix interface on my blue ray player.

I don't have cable TV through Comcast, or any other. Comcast is my ISP, via their cable lines, but I just get internet, not TV. So I got Netflix through the BluRay player, or before that, through a Roku player.

I know that Netflix has a lot of original content, but I don't watch enough TV to be interested in it. There's one cable channel I'd really like to get: In Mexico there's a cable channel called Cine Mexicano por Cable (CMC, old Mexican movies from the 1950's and 1960's). I'd pay for that, but as far as I know, there's no way to get it here in the U.S.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain
personate-rain