Author Topic: Coolness. . . .Seagate is replacing my portable hardrdive with a brand new one  (Read 121 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
I bought maybe a year and a half ago a 4 TB Samsung portable drive. I believe it was basically the first of the 4 TB portable hard drives. While market under the Samsung label, it is actually a Seagate drive.

It kept getting errors and losing files. I would run "Fix errors" but new errors would start coming up again. I finally ran the Seagate utilities and it basically said that it could not fix the hard drive.

Sent yi to Seagate. I thought I would get a rebuilt / reconditioned same model but it looks like they were made in limited numbers. Instead they are sending me this drive and brand new
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Storage-STDR4000100/dp/B00ZTRXFBA
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Every hard drive I've ever had fail was a Seagate.  /anecdote
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Every hard drive I've ever had fail was a Seagate.  /anecdote

Back in the gigabyte days, I have had a few Western Digital fail.
Part of the reason why I have some much storage is that I have double backups of everything though.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Anecdotes make the world go round.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Anecdotes make the world go round.

When I buy a product, I do try to look at the reviews. . . .It is amazing with the really high capacity internal hard drives how many people complain about them not working out of the box while they are not formatting them right.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
I got my new Seagate portable Friday and reloaded most of the stuff on it.
Hopefully it holds up better than the one it replaced.
— Robert G. Ingersoll