Author Topic: Coolness. . . .Seagate is replacing my portable hardrdive with a brand new one  (Read 1463 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
I bought maybe a year and a half ago a 4 TB Samsung portable drive. I believe it was basically the first of the 4 TB portable hard drives. While market under the Samsung label, it is actually a Seagate drive.

It kept getting errors and losing files. I would run "Fix errors" but new errors would start coming up again. I finally ran the Seagate utilities and it basically said that it could not fix the hard drive.

Sent yi to Seagate. I thought I would get a rebuilt / reconditioned same model but it looks like they were made in limited numbers. Instead they are sending me this drive and brand new
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Portable-External-Storage-STDR4000100/dp/B00ZTRXFBA
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Every hard drive I've ever had fail was a Seagate.  /anecdote
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Every hard drive I've ever had fail was a Seagate.  /anecdote

Back in the gigabyte days, I have had a few Western Digital fail.
Part of the reason why I have some much storage is that I have double backups of everything though.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
Anecdotes make the world go round.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Anecdotes make the world go round.

When I buy a product, I do try to look at the reviews. . . .It is amazing with the really high capacity internal hard drives how many people complain about them not working out of the box while they are not formatting them right.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
I got my new Seagate portable Friday and reloaded most of the stuff on it.
Hopefully it holds up better than the one it replaced.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
And the replacement drive is just as much crap as the original. .  . .Keeps deciding to lose files I put on it.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
And the replacement drive is just as much crap as the original. .  . .Keeps deciding to lose files I put on it.

And my confirmation bias kicks in.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page

Were your internal or external drives and how large (2.5 or 3.5 inch drives)?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner

Internal, 3.5".  I haven't had a Seagate drive since the 90's, though.  As I said, I fully admit that it's an unreasonable bias; but I'm human.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page

Internal, 3.5".  I haven't had a Seagate drive since the 90's, though.  As I said, I fully admit that it's an unreasonable bias; but I'm human.

I am running two internal 3.5 Seagates right now, one which is several years old.
I am not sure how I can get the drive replaced because it "passes" their "Sea tools" utility (but it still loses files)
Also very tempted to just buy a WD of the same size.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
It "loses" files?  How is that even possible?  How is it formatted?

ETA: I'm sure this is too obvious, but...they're not hidden, are they?

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
It "loses" files?  How is that even possible?  How is it formatted?

ETA: I'm sure this is too obvious, but...they're not hidden, are they?

Sorry, this is a long response:

I use the external drive to have videos - both movies and non-movies - for me to watch on my laptop.
It also kind of acts as an emergency final level backup of files.
The storage drive is 4 TB hard drive.

My laptop itself has a 500 GB SSD and a 2 TB Hd which replaces the DVD rom
I have too many video files to be able to store just on the 2 TB Hd but I keep movies on it and a few other items.

I use a program called "Karen's Replicator" to duplicate files over the the external. It also deletes files you have deleted. There are of course setting to do this. It is an older program but simple to use and allows me to transfer only files that have been changed and/or new files.

Use it to transfer files to the other computer across the network and to my desktop external for backup. I also used it to transfer to the 2TB WB portable drive. None of these have ever had an issue with the program. Windows file explorer is not "smart" where it will do something similar. Deleting the directory in windows and then copying all of the files takes hours.

When I got the drive, I transferred movies and other videos over to the new portable.  I noted that some of the videos were corrupted (ie: they would not play) soon after. They were on the drive however. Kind of frustrated me still.

I ran "Sea tools," the Seagate utility and it claimed to have fixed all errors or that there were no errors. Just in case, I deleted all videos and movies. I used windows explorer to save them then. As far as I have been able to tell, all of the files are there and they will play.

Just Saturday, I got a DVD I ordered from Half.com (part of eBay) and made a copy of it. I do a two step process where I fist make an MKV of the file and then make an MP4 of that. MKV files are very large.

I plug in the portable and used Karen's replicator to copy changes from my movies folder (and there are sub-folders in it) to the portable. It appeared to have duplicated changes. I plug the portable into my laptop and use Karen's replicator on that end to copy to the internal 2 Tb. Doesn't copy anything. Check the drive and the file is gone.

I did check and I have the computer set to show hidden files. I actually hate hidden files. trying to think if there is some new security feature on the drive or with Windows 10 messing me up. I am running an anti-virus on both my desktop and laptop.

It does piss me off that it did this but I keep enough multiple backups that I am probably OK. My issue is as much that I use the portable to backup documents from my laptop. If something happens to my SSD and a file is corrupted or lost, that could be really bad.

— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Reef Tank Owner
To be sure I'm clear, the main issue is that you created a new .mp4 in the movies folder on your desktop, synced your movies folder to the movies folder on your new portable hard drive, then tried to sync the movies folder on your portable hard drive with the movies folder on your laptop. When you synced, you did not end up with the new .mp4 on your laptop and when you checked the portable it wasn't there.

Assuming that's the case, my first strong suspicion would be that "Karen's Replicator" deleted the file. Doesn't that seems far more likely than that your brand new portable hdd "lost" it?

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
To be sure I'm clear, the main issue is that you created a new .mp4 in the movies folder on your desktop, synced your movies folder to the movies folder on your new portable hard drive, then tried to sync the movies folder on your portable hard drive with the movies folder on your laptop. When you synced, you did not end up with the new .mp4 on your laptop and when you checked the portable it wasn't there.

Assuming that's the case, my first strong suspicion would be that "Karen's Replicator" deleted the file. Doesn't that seems far more likely than that your brand new portable hdd "lost" it?

I was looking through the documentation on Replicator and there is a setting called "Test Connection to Source Drive" and under help files
"Test Connection to Source Drive checkbox

Place a checkmark here, and the Replicator will test your computer's connection to the Source drive before deleting any files or folders from the Destination.

This option is important if the Source Folder resides on an external disk drive. Connections to these drives are less reliable than those between a computer and its built-in disk drives. If a drive connection fails while the Replicator is running, it can be fooled into thinking some or all Source files and folders have disappeared. If you have checked the "Replicate Folder and File Deletions?" checkbox, the Replicator can be tricked into deleting your backup copies (in the Destination folder).

By asking the Replicator to test its connection to the Source Drive, before concluding a file or folder has really been deleted from the Source, you can eliminate or greatly reduce this problem.  It does cause the Replicator to run more slowly (if you're replicating the deletion of folders and files). But the added security may be worth it, especially if you're having problems with the external drive." I will try with that setting."

— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain
personate-rain