Author Topic: Coolness. . . .Seagate is replacing my portable hardrdive with a brand new one  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Fucking Seagate. . . .

I have a second program I am running to test the integrity of the files after I move them by comparing them to the folders they are moved.

I copied two new movies I made copies of to the external drive and I tested them against each other on my desktop.  Claimed the  directories match each other. Take the drive and plugged it into my laptop and the files disappeared.

I am pretty sure it is not a virus on my computer either. . . . . I run an anti-Virus and I keep a careful eye on things. I have my computer set to show invisible files as well.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 12:22:22 AM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
It does not make sense, though, that a physical disk like that could "lose" a file.  Even if it were corrupting data, the pointer to the file would still exist in the allocation table and/or filesystem journal. I would still sooner think that it's a software issue than a hardware one.

What file system are you using on the disk, out of curiousity?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
It does not make sense, though, that a physical disk like that could "lose" a file.  Even if it were corrupting data, the pointer to the file would still exist in the allocation table and/or filesystem journal. I would still sooner think that it's a software issue than a hardware one.

What file system are you using on the disk, out of curiousity?

File system is NTFS but I have to wonder in Seagate does not have their own tweak on it. I had a non portable Western Digital external drive that died. I had a seller screw me but Western Digital at least sent me a refurbished drive. I pulled the drive out of the enclosure and installed it in my computer. There is a controller in the enclosure which operates the drive which means you cannot just read the drive "as is." Still, I could install the drive in my desktop, reformat the drive, and runs fine even now. 

As far as the portable, I copied the files to the hard drive again today and then tried to access them from my laptop. Somehow the files are getting corrupted because when I originally plugged the drive into my laptop, it saw them as corrupted files which would not play. I then ran Windows repair program which found errors and fixed them. Part of the repair, those files were deleted.

As I have written, I have a 2 TB Western Digital portal which does not appear to have these issues. No, it does not make sense.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
Uh oh.  I just bought three Seagate drives online and am awaiting their arrival.  I have had numerous external drives in the past, all Western Digital, and all failed long before I though they should.  Yeah, Western Digital happily replaced them, but the replacements were no better than the originals.  So, I decided to give Seagate a try this time.  Online reviews basically reveal that neither brand is very reliable.  You'd think someone could do better.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 02:33:48 AM by jt512 »

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
The motherboard of my desktop is a relatively old USB 3.0 motherboard. There have been little idiosyncrasies with the USB 3.0 ports before. Going to try an experiment where I don't plug the drive into the 3.0 ports but instead use the 2.0 ports. I want to see if that solves the problem. If so, I only lose some speed when copying files. My laptop is all USB 2.0 as well.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
The motherboard of my desktop is a relatively old USB 3.0 motherboard. There have been little idiosyncrasies with the USB 3.0 ports before. Going to try an experiment where I don't plug the drive into the 3.0 ports but instead use the 2.0 ports. I want to see if that solves the problem. If so, I only lose some speed when copying files. My laptop is all USB 2.0 as well.

Losing files?  Could this be a dying hard drive or a corrupt file table?  Have you checked the health of the disk?

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Losing files?  Could this be a dying hard drive or a corrupt file table?  Have you checked the health of the disk?

It is a brand new drive. I have a program to check the health of a drive although have to remember which one. My SSD though has 99% health remaining.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512

It is a brand new drive. I have a program to check the health of a drive although have to remember which one. My SSD though has 99% health remaining.

Could the new drive be defective?

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page

Could the new drive be defective?

It could be I guess but just seems weird. . . .If it gave a permanent failure when I run the Seagate utilities then I could ask for another replacement at least. 

Edit: Crystaldisk gives it a "Good" status.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 11:43:39 PM by Desert Fox »
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
Fucking Seagate. . . .

I have a second program I am running to test the integrity of the files after I move them by comparing them to the folders they are moved.

I copied two new movies I made copies of to the external drive and I tested them against each other on my desktop.  Claimed the  directories match each other. Take the drive and plugged it into my laptop and the files disappeared.

I am pretty sure it is not a virus on my computer either. . . . . I run an anti-Virus and I keep a careful eye on things. I have my computer set to show invisible files as well.

Did you try plugging it back into your desktop to see if the files come back?

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page

Nope, they did not come back.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know

Try copying them from your desktop again, unplugging the drive, plugging it back into your desktop, and seeing if the files are there or missing.  That will eliminate your laptop as a source of the problem at least.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page

Try copying them from your desktop again, unplugging the drive, plugging it back into your desktop, and seeing if the files are there or missing.  That will eliminate your laptop as a source of the problem at least.

This is what has happened
1. Move files from desktop to portable. Test and they show up. Plug into laptop and only one of the files, a short video, showed up.
2. Move files again from desktop to portable. This time, the files do show up but there is something wrong. They will not play as if there is something wrong. Run the windows drive repair program. Finds errors and repairs.
3. Move files again from desktop to portable but I used a USB 2.0 instead of USB 3.0 port. This time, the file were there and all playable.
What is also strange is that I have no had this issue with the older 2 TB Western Digital portable.
I am wondering if the issue might be in the drive  tables.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
Have you tried it with other computers?  Is it only when you plug it into your laptop that you have the issue?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Have you tried it with other computers?  Is it only when you plug it into your laptop that you have the issue?

I have three computers I use semi-regularly
1. Desktop
2. Laptop
3. TV Server

What I usually do is copy files to the portable and then plug it into my laptop in the wee hours at work. When you are at work, you don't get that many options.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain