Author Topic: Episode #601  (Read 3382 times)

Offline Steven Novella

• SGU Panel Member
  • Well Established
    • http://www.theskepticsguide.org
Episode #601
« on: January 14, 2017, 01:25:20 PM »
Interview with David Gorski; What’s the Word: Parallax; News Items: Colliding Stars, Countering Fake News, Relaxing Music, A New Organ?; Who’s That Noisy; Your Questions and E-mails: Dino Tail Follow Up; Science or Fiction
Steven Novella
Host, The Skeptics Guide
snovella@theness.com

Offline Elapid

• Brand New
  • Insatiably Curious
Re: Episode #601
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 01:53:23 PM »
I love the show, I've been listening for months and only now finally joined the forums. I hate for my very first post to be a 'complaint', but, it seems that the ad-free/members only version of this episode is borked. The regular version plays just fine. Ad-free versions of episodes 600, 599, 598, etc., play just fine. 601 won't play, and when I try to open the download link in a new tab to listen, I get a 404 error from Libsyn. I'm not sure if it's just me, or if the escape to reality is generally being a bit stroppy, today.
My favorite questions are the ones I don't know the answers to!

Offline LadyBugFixer

• Brand New
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 02:06:55 PM »
I have the same problem, the ad-free show won't download. (FWIW: My podcatcher of choice is Pocket Casts from Shifty Jelly.)

Offline Ice

• Triskaidekaphilic
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 02:52:06 PM »
Same here for premium episode 601, won't download.  Using iCatcher! on iPhone, all up-to-date.  Non-premium version downloads fine.
[edit: showing error "404 - File not Found"; suspect at typo Steve]

UPDATE: Working now...thanks!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 04:26:36 PM by Ice »
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline AzrgExplorers

• Brand New
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 05:27:11 PM »
Still not working for me - same issue, I get a 404 error when trying to download. I'm using PodCruncher. I've unsubscribed and resubscribed - still no luck.

Offline Gold

• Citizen
  • Off to a Start
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 07:27:59 PM »
Add me to that list.  I'm getting a 404 on the adfree episode 601 in BeyondPod, direct link in my webbrowser (after logging into http://www.theskepticsguide.org/members-only-content and verifying the feed URL hadn't changed and my subscription was up to date.

The player on the web doesn't work either.

(include witty truism here)

Offline Elapid

• Brand New
  • Insatiably Curious
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 08:11:45 PM »
Still having the same problem, here. I'm just on my PC, using Chrome.
My favorite questions are the ones I don't know the answers to!

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 11:10:46 PM »
Doggcatcher says the file might be not found for a few reasons - including an authentication error. We've had that happen before at least once. IIRC some were able to download by switching to unsecure connections - but the RC part of that is pretty shaky.

ETA I can't access it either.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 11:13:00 PM by brilligtove »
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 05:03:43 AM »
Awesome episode! Thanks especially to Jay  :jay: for the great recommendation about asking advertisers to avoid fake news sources. It's a fantastic idea, and an excellent example of how skeptics can take direct action.

On SoF, one point of nuance: more exercise is not always better. For most people, the advice "move more!" is good. For some people, exercise dependence can become pathological. Its relatively rare, but good to be sensitive to.

Offline TorOeines

• Brand New
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 01:10:43 PM »
Yup, the premium version is broken for me as well. Using the Podcast app in iOS.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 01:30:34 PM »
iCatcher gives a "404 File not found" error for the ad-free version. I am going to try to find the regular version.

ETA: I got the regular version. I'll listen to it at my regular pod-listening time. I don't mind listening to the ad-included version once. I'm actually curious to hear what the ads are like.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 02:06:18 PM by daniel1948 »
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 02:46:14 PM »
There is a thing as too much cardio, Science or Fiction.

"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline Dan I

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 08:17:49 AM »
Add another to the can't download lost. No prob to grab the regular one for now. I use BeyondPod.

Seems like the file is actually missing at this point.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:54:56 AM by Dan I »

Offline davezissou

• Brand New
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 09:17:56 AM »
Phew! Glad it wasn't just me! I'm having these problems on gpodder, and podcast addict - haven't tried the free version yet, but will do that now to get my SGU fix!

Offline trschwartz

• Brand New
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 09:28:45 AM »
Can't download #601.  404 error message.  Mediamonkey (hope this gets fixed soon).

personate-rain
personate-rain