Author Topic: A Series of Unfortunate Events (Netflix)  (Read 422 times)

Online PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
A Series of Unfortunate Events (Netflix)
« on: January 15, 2017, 07:38:33 AM »
8/10 - So far.  We are about halfway through.

If you like the books, then you need to watch this series.  It is as arch and dryly camp and the books.  Even if ypu are unaware of the books, if you enjoy victorian gothic aka Edward Gorey you will probably get a kick out of this show.  NPH is having a blast hamming it up, but he does not do so at the expense of the other actors which is great especially when working with kids and the awesome guest stars this show has. 

The design is all of a piece and for the most part it is stunning and bleak, and eerie.  The CGI is not perfect, as it does have some non immersive moments.  But overall, those small moments do not ruin the spot on design ethic.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Online HighPockets

• Well Established
Re: A Series of Unfortunate Events (Netflix)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 10:02:11 AM »
I can't decide if NPH is channeling Jim Carrey's 2004 version of Olaf, or if that's just the impression of the character from the book that an actor is going to draw from. Adding a narrator in Lemony Snicket (Patrick Warburton) is a very good addition, it fills in the gaps that the 2004 film had that i'm sure ultimately let it die on the vine and couldn't finish the series.

I would also recommend.
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline alexbutterfield

• Frequent Poster
  • Wins with Town
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 11:47:52 AM »
The film was awesome. The effects in the film are all perfect and bleak and the acting is great, which for all kids is unusual. It's funny and touching.

I got 5 minutes into the show and was so disappointed. The effects were laughable. None of the above applied. I couldn't do it.

(They have a narrator in the movie by the way. Jude Law plays Lemony Snicket)

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 12:15:14 PM »
I don't like NPH's Olaf as much as I imagined I would. It seemed like perfect casting in my head, but it was more reaching towards ideal than ideal. Its not really like he is trying too hard, he isn't, he is acting very well, its just underwhelming somehow.

Also they lean too much on the "this is a sad story you shouldn't want to watch, please look away" theme, to the point of making their entire theme song about it. It has the unintended consequence of making the show underwhelming when you watch it and only mildly terrible things are happening. I guess that is surrounding media's fault and not the show itself's fault.   

I do like the feel and aesthetic of the show, they built an entertaining world around the story.

Offline alexbutterfield

• Frequent Poster
  • Wins with Town
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 12:48:00 PM »
oh yeah. the theme song was awful.   ::)

Online PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 12:49:39 PM »
oh yeah. the theme song was awful.   ::)

What.  Wrong.  You're the puppet!
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Online HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 05:59:52 PM »
The film was awesome. The effects in the film are all perfect and bleak and the acting is great, which for all kids is unusual. It's funny and touching.

I got 5 minutes into the show and was so disappointed. The effects were laughable. None of the above applied. I couldn't do it.

I was really lukewarm on the movie, and it's been forever since I've seen it, so I guess it's not a surprise that I don't remember that there was a snicket in it.

And sorry Pants! Theme song gets a thumbs down from me too, I just skip over it.
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 06:22:51 PM »

I felt this way too. I loved the movie and the pacing was perfect. I also thought NPH would nail the count as well, but how many times did he really have to "slip up" that he really wanted their money in one episode? The number of repeat beats was astounding. The pilot just dragged to the point I have no interest in the rest of the series. It looked great, they got good actors, but the writing is just misfiring all over the place.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 06:32:20 PM »
I never really watched the movie. Is it considered generally good according to the book fanbase?

Offline stonesean

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Dumb sailor on the Sea of Awesome
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 10:28:03 AM »
Enjoying it so far.

Very camp, which is fine by me. 

Really enjoying the bone dry comedy of the narrator.
Well.  There it is.

Offline alexbutterfield

• Frequent Poster
  • Wins with Town
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 04:23:34 AM »
I never really watched the movie. Is it considered generally good according to the book fanbase?

The movie is well worth watching. It somewhat merges a few of the books. That makes the film fairly episodic. But even when the pacing is a little off, the other qualities more than make up for it.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 05:32:35 PM »
Just finished the 4th episode this weekend, and I like it better than the movie. NPH plays Olaf better for the screen, the kids are very good at being both kids and Baudelaires, and the Two Special Guest Stars are a good touch that's played well without dominating the story. Warburton captures Snicket's narration very well, and the visual elements are very well played. Hey only add to, and never take away from the story.

The only performance that was underwhelming was Prof. Montgomery Montgomery. Never really felt like the actor committed the way that the Hook Handed Man (see all, the Quatari ambassador from Veep) does.

8/10, watch with a loved one.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 05:55:46 PM »
I thought the movie had better visualizations of the kids powers.

Sunny's biting power was less cartoony in the movie, more like just an animal with a strong jaw.
The various books being pulled out in order to highlight Klaus's perfect memory was a better visual effect for his power that just knowing stuff as shown in the TV show.
Violet's power was more or less the same, but again, less cartoony in the movie.
I know its a cartoony show to begin with, its like me asking the looney toons to get more serious, but I just dont enjoy the more cartoony tone of the TV show.

One thing I did enjoy was the scene settings and color schemes, reminded me of Wes Anderson Movies.

I also changed my mind on NPH, after seeing him in the various roles and disguises, he does it more believably.

personate-rain
personate-rain