Author Topic: How often do you clean dust in your computer  (Read 581 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
How often do you clean dust in your computer
« on: January 15, 2017, 02:42:54 PM »
One of the case fans of my desktop was running slow so decided to replace it. When I removed the old one, I found it was feated in a heavy amount of dust. Kept cleaning and  I removes the heat sink from my CPU cooling tower (Cool Master Hyper 212) and found a ton of dust between the heat sink and the fan.

I am curious how often people clean the durst from inside their desk top and how often is it recommended?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Enkidu Shamesh

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: How often do you clean dust in your computer
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 03:50:42 PM »
I'd say I do it less often than I should. I also got a water cooler for my current system. You're supposed to change the fluid about once a year. It's been two years. I am terrified. I will never by a water cooled system again.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 04:57:13 PM »
Who wants clean dust in their computer? ;D
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 05:12:25 PM »
I'd say I do it less often than I should. I also got a water cooler for my current system. You're supposed to change the fluid about once a year. It's been two years. I am terrified. I will never by a water cooled system again.

I don't think one can ever get truly away from maintenance on your PC such as that. Luckily the Cooler Master makes it really easy to detach the fan. I was processing a video file and my CPU was overheating (processing video actually requires more CPU power than most games and it was also warm in the room) and I suspect that part was that there was gunk in the heat sink / fan. 

Who wants clean dust in their computer? ;D

I doubt anybody wants to. . . .
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 05:18:09 PM »
Only when I'm opening the case for something else. which is close to never. I was actually surprised when my HD crashed last fall, just how clean it really was. I had an uncle that called me a couple years ago because he was getting the BSoD and an overheating error. I opened that case and couldn't even see the motherboard. I vacuumed it out and I think it's still the PC they are using today.
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 08:55:56 PM »
I had my previous MacBook for eight years and cleaned it only once, when it was open for another repair.  Even then there was little dust intrusion, mainly around the vents.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 09:16:50 PM »
Often.
I've been a computer tech for over 20 years.  ;)
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 11:54:06 PM »
I am in the process of upgrading to all higher end cases with proper airflow and fan filters. I keep meaning to post pics. I'm  proud of how some of them have turned out. No more ugly rack mount cases for me, no more dust.  I have tried a few different ones, so far this is my favorite case and I will be purchasing more of them but probably the cheaper one without the glass, not all my machines need to be that pretty  >:D.

http://www.bequiet.com/en/case/701

I'll get pics up sooner or later but yes CLEAN OUT THE DUST!  especially if its clogging up your power supply or processor fans.

I use a vacuum hose followed by short bursts with an air can, go slow. I would use a compressor if I had one.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Dujardini

• Brand New
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 03:37:33 AM »
I opened up my PC recently (to change GPU) and to my surprise there was no dust at all.  I imagine the configuration of the fans/filters means it's keeping things nicely dust free.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 09:31:00 AM »
I would not know how to open my iMac. And the fan almost never runs, so I cannot imagine there'd be enough dust to see.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 12:04:53 PM »
I'm going to put filters on the intake fans in the chassis to collect dust before it coats the innards. I need to clean my system - now almost a year old.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline MikeHz

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 02:18:29 PM »
I find it easier to just buy a new computer. I said easier, not cheaper. But, after a few years my machine is out of date anyway.

BTW, I don't throw out the desktop when it gets replaced. The current one gets designated as a word processor, disconnected from the internet, with most other programs removed.
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." Mark Twain

Offline frothy

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 04:34:20 PM »
Never!  If god had intended our PCs to be dust free, he wouldn't have put it in there to begin with.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 04:44:02 PM »
I find it easier to just buy a new computer. I said easier, not cheaper. But, after a few years my machine is out of date anyway.

BTW, I don't throw out the desktop when it gets replaced. The current one gets designated as a word processor, disconnected from the internet, with most other programs removed.

My PC is about three years old now and is still quite competitive with respect to performance.
— Robert G. Ingersoll