Author Topic: FFRF is suing my home county's school district  (Read 900 times)

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
Re: FFRF is suing my home county's school district
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 01:15:12 PM »
Isn't there, like, some kind amendment or something that prevents this sort of thing?

You'd think. 

Woohoo, we've made CBS News.  Interesting to hear from a parent who pulled her child out of public schools because her daughter was bullied for skipping the damned indoctrination classes.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 01:30:10 PM »

Woohoo, we've made CBS News. 

“Is it a religious course?” Dokoupil asked.

“I would say it is the Bible. It doesn’t teach one religion. It’s not a Baptist Bible, it’s not a Presbyterian Bible; it’s the Bible, and it is God.”

This is the quote of someone who knows that the real answer to the question would be a problem, even though he doesn't understand the problem.
Amend and resubmit.

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2017, 02:11:41 PM »
“Is it a religious course?” Dokoupil asked.

“I would say it is the Bible. It doesn’t teach one religion. It’s not a Baptist Bible, it’s not a Presbyterian Bible; it’s the Bible, and it is God.”

This is the quote of someone who knows that the real answer to the question would be a problem, even though he doesn't understand the problem.

Yep, that's the quote of someone who drew the short straw at the office and now has to defend a guilty client.

And now I'm gently scolding atheists on FFRF's Facebook post.  Comments like "Well, it's West Virginia, what do you expect?" are so unhelpful.  >:(
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline Neon Genesis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2017, 05:20:16 AM »
The FFRF has sued in my area a few times.  This is the latest.  It was random to suddenly hear my city come up in an episode of their podcast recently.  http://www.chattanoogan.com/2017/1/29/340725/Freedom-From-Religion-Group-Files.aspx
A Wisconsin Freedom from Religion group has filed a complaint about Central and East Ridge High players joining together on the football field to pray for an injured player in a game last Sept. 9.

Attorney Rebecca S. Markert of the Freedom from Religion Foundation said in a letter to County School Board Attorney Scott Bennett said that "public school coaches must refrain not only from leading players in prayer but also in participating in students' prayers."

She said the group recently learned of the "post-game prayer circle" and asked county school officials "to remind athletic directors and coaches in this district to refrain from leading their teams in prayer or participating in team prayer circles initiated by players."
Why do these news reports always seem to highlight the FFRF is from Wisconsin for some reason?  The media never points out the ACLU is headquartered in New York whenever they report them. 

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 02:22:12 PM »
In similar news, in a similar location  FFRF FTW:

The Freedom From Religion Foundation is delighted to announce the successful settlement of a longstanding federal lawsuit challenging a 6-foot Ten Commandments monument in front of a Pennsylvania public high school.

That ruling set in motion negotiations with the school district, which has now agreed to remove the Ten Commandments monument within 30 days. The district's insurer will pay attorneys' fees of $163,500, of which more than $40,000 will go to FFRF for its attorney fees as well as reimbursement for its costs.
Amend and resubmit.

personate-rain
personate-rain