Author Topic: What are the risks of connecting your primary e-mail address to a smartphone?  (Read 433 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
If you have an Android smartphone, is there any risk of using your "real", or primary, e-mail address to connect to the phone? After all, phones do get stolen, and there exists viruses and Trojans directed against phones.

What about you? Have you connected your primary e-mail address to a smartphone, or do you have a separate e-mail account for that purpose?
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline frothy

• Not Enough Spare Time
Nope, I haven't done it.  But I do tend to have a paranoid streak.

I'm just not sure I trust Android enough.  The fact my phone is Chinese made makes me even more suspicious.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
My phone is locked with a strong passcode and auto-wipe. And, thanks to good OS security design, all applications run sandboxed. I'm not worried.

ETA: But I don't have Android...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 11:07:10 AM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
If you have an Android smartphone, is there any risk of using your "real", or primary, e-mail address to connect to the phone? After all, phones do get stolen, and there exists viruses and Trojans directed against phones.

What about you? Have you connected your primary e-mail address to a smartphone, or do you have a separate e-mail account for that purpose?

I'm not sure what you mean by "connecting your email address to your phone." I don't use my phone to fetch my email because the screen is too small. Or do you mean using your primary email as a log-in name for things like cloud backups and the App Store or Google Play?
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
I decided to go with my dummy e-mail. :)
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

personate-rain