Author Topic: BluRay disc won't play???  (Read 550 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
BluRay disc won't play???
« on: January 21, 2017, 01:34:47 PM »
I got a BluRay disc from Netflix, and my BluRay player upstairs, which has never refused to play a BD before, said the disc was incompatible, and refused to play it. Just to make sure, I put it in the BD player downstairs (the one in front of the treadmill) and it plays just fine.

Anybody have any ideas what might be going on? This is the first time this has happened. Both players are kind of old, but the upstairs one is older.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Muriel

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • My personal blog and homepage
Re: BluRay disc won't play???
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 06:02:18 AM »
It most likely needs a firmware update to be compatible with the latest copy protection. I've had similar issues myself and a firmware update always helped.

The real issue, though, is companies adding copy protection to the discs in the first place. They obviously don't work, as all movies are available on torrent sites in full HD, and it only creates problems for "law abiding citizens" not being able to use their legally purchased/rented movies.
"Anything one man can imagine,
other men can make real."
- Jules Verne

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 06:37:00 AM »
I have bought a number of blu ray disks from thrift store and pawn shops where the disk actually will not play. I then later find another copy at a similar place and they play fine. I think sometimes there will be bad sectors on a disk and blu ray is more sensitive about that than dvds are. 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 08:00:24 AM »
Does it say what areas are compatible with its format? Look on the box.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 09:04:45 AM »
It most likely needs a firmware update to be compatible with the latest copy protection. ...

Thanks. I can't test that on this disc because I watched it on the downstairs player and I sealed it back in the return envelope for mailing back. But I'll do a firmware update and see if it happens again.

I have bought a number of blu ray disks from thrift store and pawn shops where the disk actually will not play. I then later find another copy at a similar place and they play fine. I think sometimes there will be bad sectors on a disk and blu ray is more sensitive about that than dvds are. 

It played fine on the other player. Muriel's suggestion makes the most sense. I have not upgraded the firmware for a long time. The first time I did, it changed the player's operation for the worse, so I quit making upgrades. I think maybe the time has come that I have to.

Does it say what areas are compatible with its format? Look on the box.

There is no box. NetFlix mails discs in its own paper sleeves. The sleeve has a short description of the movie, but no details about the disc.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 10:13:39 AM »
Notify them that the disc didn't play. They'll pull it for testing. If it's not your gear you should be credit.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 12:21:04 PM »
Notify them that the disc didn't play. They'll pull it for testing. If it's not your gear you should be credit.

But it played on my other player. That strongly suggests that the problem is in the player that would not play it. Again, Muriel's suggestion makes the most sense to me.

It's not NetFlix's fault that I had to walk on the treadmill while watching the movie. (No, I'm not going to just stand there and watch. If I have to be on the treadmill, I'll walk, at the very least. A bit of added exercise is a good thing.)
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 12:22:57 PM »

But it played on my other player. That strongly suggests that the problem is in the player that would not play it. Again, Muriel's suggestion makes the most sense to me.

It's not NetFlix's fault that I had to walk on the treadmill while watching the movie. (No, I'm not going to just stand there and watch. If I have to be on the treadmill, I'll walk, at the very least. A bit of added exercise is a good thing.)

They are not going to sweat exchanging the disk for a new copy
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 03:08:48 PM »

They are not going to sweat exchanging the disk for a new copy

But I don't want a new copy. I watched the movie downstairs.

BTW, NetFlix used to have a fulfillment center here in Spokane. If I returned a movie in Tuesday's outgoing mail, they got it on Wednesday and shipped the next one the same day and I got it on Thursday. Now they've closed the Spokane Center and the nearest one is in Tacoma. Now if I mail a movie back on a Tuesday they get it on Thursday and I get the next movie on Saturday. Unless the USPS is being lax and then I get it on Monday. They also send defective discs more often than they used to. I think they're cutting back on service quality because (speculation:) they make more money on their streaming service and don't care so much about their mail business.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 03:17:06 PM »
You should still tell them you had a problem, it might actually be the disc. They have people who make disks jump through hoops. If they didn't have anything to do they'd get fired.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 09:52:04 AM »
You should still tell them you had a problem, it might actually be the disc. They have people who make disks jump through hoops. If they didn't have anything to do they'd get fired.

Based on the upsurge of bad discs, I suspect that they've eliminated or cut back on the disc checkers in favor of waiting for customers to report defective discs. But they don't have a selection for reporting "This disc played fine in my 4-year-old player but not in my 5-year-old player.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 11:39:57 AM »

Based on the upsurge of bad discs, I suspect that they've eliminated or cut back on the disc checkers in favor of waiting for customers to report defective discs. But they don't have a selection for reporting "This disc played fine in my 4-year-old player but not in my 5-year-old player.
My theory is that they aren't buying as many new discs so the percentage of bad disks is going up. 

Couple ideas that rehash what other people have said.
If you can update the firmware on your player, try it.
Try blowing out dust with some canned air.
It may be the one player is just a little more sensitive than the other and the disc was just on that cusp.
Might just be a fluke, you need some reproducbility to really know.

Side note, always try washing the disc with a little soapy water.  I thought this idea was crazy when it was suggested to me, but it works more often than not.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 02:53:20 PM »

My theory is that they aren't buying as many new discs so the percentage of bad disks is going up. 

Couple ideas that rehash what other people have said.
If you can update the firmware on your player, try it.
Try blowing out dust with some canned air.
It may be the one player is just a little more sensitive than the other and the disc was just on that cusp.
Might just be a fluke, you need some reproducbility to really know.

Side note, always try washing the disc with a little soapy water.  I thought this idea was crazy when it was suggested to me, but it works more often than not.

When a disc does not play, I always wash it. NetFlix even advises this, IIRC. Next time I get a "disc not compatible" message I'll update the firmware. Note that when the player cannot read the disc, nothing happens. The "not compatible" message suggests that it could read it, but could not handle the data it read.

I agree with you about NetFlix. They're probably buying fewer discs with an eye towards phasing out the service. It's disappointing, because as I've said before, streaming just does not match the video quality of DVD, and does not even come close to BluRay. BluRay is so much better than streaming that I'd think there's still a good market for BD, and therefore a good market for rentals. But NetFlix killed the B&M stores, and now seems uninterested in taking full advantage of its domination of the disc rental market.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain