Author Topic: Sequels [b]published[/b] long after the original  (Read 475 times)

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
Sequels [b]published[/b] long after the original
« on: January 24, 2017, 12:23:36 PM »
Inspired by the "made long after" post.

The first two Foundation books were amazing. The rest of the series, published some 25 years later, has very little of the elegegance and vitality of the originals. Ditto Asimov's Robots books. The author changed quite substantially over the years, and it shows.

I did my Grade 13 English Independent Study Unit (ISU) comparing and contrasting these series to each other and across decades. The differences really shocked my tender 17 year old brain.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Sequels [b]published[/b] long after the original
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 12:52:29 PM »
 :munch:

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 01:51:19 PM »
I too wish to subscribe to this newsletter.

:munch:
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 02:08:58 PM »
Lord of the Rings was quite a while post-Hobbit.  And, while it is in my opinion superior to the original, you could argue that it's not that good of a sequel due to the dramatic shift in tone.
Big Mike
Calgary AB Canada

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 05:19:23 PM »
Lord of the Rings was quite a while post-Hobbit.  And, while it is in my opinion superior to the original, you could argue that it's not that good of a sequel due to the dramatic shift in tone.
I think the Hobbit is a better story in that it is more engagingly told (allowing for the time it was written). LotR is more imaginative in some ways, but the narrative can be quite hard to follow.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 10:03:38 PM »
Enders Shadow

I hated the first two sequels to Enders game but I loved Shadow

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 10:41:30 PM »
Enders Shadow

I hated the first two sequels to Enders game but I loved Shadow

It did recapture a lot of the energy of the first book. I was seriously disoriented by Speaker For The Dead when I first read it. Then I read some of his other stuff and realized how uncharacteristicly normal Ender's Game was. All these years later Xenophobia remains in my memory as a single idea: three or four species alien to each other trying to find common ground - and SFtD has some stronger resonances. Ender's Game still gets me excited, though.

personate-rain