Author Topic: Guitar Build - Partscaster  (Read 557 times)

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
Guitar Build - Partscaster
« on: January 24, 2017, 02:44:56 PM »
So I have embarked on a foolish mission - build my own guitar!
I'm no woodworker, so I am not cutting anything, but I am sourcing, painting and assembling over the next few months.

I started with a telecaster body I got for next to nothing. A Fender Made in Mexico that the guy tried to "relic." It is very uneven, even after I filled in some bigger dings, so I am using it as a test for painting. I got another neck and have a spare pickup for that one, just to have it around eventually.

I got a Jazzmaster style body, but it's all routed for Telecaster neck and electronics (except the input jack is routed for Stratocaster style). These are referred to as Jazzcasters, and I thought it would make it a little more unique. I'll be putting in Harmonic Design Super 90 pickups, which are basically P90s stacked into a Tele form factor.

I also got a 28.5" scale Stratocaster neck, to make this a baritone build (that's why the body looks small) and the guy cut a tele pocket heel into it. I just have ti install tuners and set the nut eventually.

I think I have settled on Duplicolor Magnetic Gray Metallic paint for the Jazzcaster. The Tele is going to be Metallic Black with a Silver Speck strip.

So far the Tele body has required far more primer and sanding than I had hoped, but it is evening out a bit. At some point I'll cut my losses on the flaws and just hope it fades a bit under the paint.

Hopefully I will have more updates sooner rather than later!
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
    • jeremyad [sic]
Re: Guitar Build - Partscaster
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 11:23:42 AM »
Here's the Tele body. It's looks a little weird at the moment. I did the silver stripe and then taped over it and started the black. I noticed that the flakes in the silver kind of went everywhere so I tried lightly dusting the black to add more fleck. It looks pretty good in person, but it's a little uneven as the can tends to hit it with the silver paint while trying to even out the flakes.
I'm letting it harden and air out for a few days and I'll check back in on it. If I'm not happy with the way it's settled I'll retape the stripe and shoot it with black again. Once that's done I may try one more subtle pass on the silver and really go far and conservative to get more flake and less silver paint. We'll see.

Once it's aired out for a week and ready for poly coating I'll take the bar off the neck pocket and start on the other body. Excited!

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 07:06:31 PM »
Progress! Pre-polyurethane sealing

Online seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 01:23:45 PM »
Nice.

Keep posting more of this.

I have been planning (but not doing anything about it) on doing a build for a Strat--maybe later a Tele, with parts from Warmoth.
At first considering a mahogany body, but now am thinking of the "smoked" swamp ash, as I do like the look very much.
My desire for the mahogany is for the warmer sound, but it is rather heavy and tricky to work with.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 01:33:59 PM »
Nice.

Keep posting more of this.

I have been planning (but not doing anything about it) on doing a build for a Strat--maybe later a Tele, with parts from Warmoth.
At first considering a mahogany body, but now am thinking of the "smoked" swamp ash, as I do like the look very much.
My desire for the mahogany is for the warmer sound, but it is rather heavy and tricky to work with.
Yeah, the weather got gnarly here for Los Angeles, and we're finally back to a climate that is conducive to this, so I'll be starting again. I caused a run in the polyurethane because it wasn't warm enough, so I'm hoping i can get that out without burning the paint underneath (it's got metal flake, so it will burn out the flakes with friction, unfortunately).

I did buy a warmoth body, Swamp Ash with a Black, yellow, brown burst and it's very pretty! So pretty I opted for no pickguard and just a neck pickup ring instead. I'll get a pic up eventually. Funny enough i almost bought a mahogany to paint, but they had such a ridiculous price on a prepainted body (it's also chambered) so I just went for it.

personate-rain
personate-rain