Author Topic: Twin Peaks The Return (spoilers once the show airs)  (Read 782 times)

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
Re: Twin Peaks The Return (spoilers once the show airs)
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 02:41:37 PM »
There was a fan cut with missing pieces edited in but they were forced to take it down, it may be floating around the web still but nowhere i am willing to get it from.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 03:02:27 PM »
I never watched the original series.  I am aware I am remiss.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 03:20:58 PM »
It's dated for sure, but it holds up.  The whole run is on Netflix.

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 03:59:03 PM »
Twin Peaks originally aired when I was in college and in an area where if you didn't have cable, you just got one crappy local TV station--so I was well aware of the show and heard all about it, but only managed to see one or two episodes from season 2 --when it was running off the rails.

When we got Netflix my wife and I watched 1-3 episodes a week and were completely enthralled by season 1. Some of the best F'ing television ever--Season 2 started OK, but at some point --a little over 1/2 way through, we just stopped watching.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 04:28:37 PM »
Twin Peaks originally aired when I was in college and in an area where if you didn't have cable, you just got one crappy local TV station--so I was well aware of the show and heard all about it, but only managed to see one or two episodes from season 2 --when it was running off the rails.

When we got Netflix my wife and I watched 1-3 episodes a week and were completely enthralled by season 1. Some of the best F'ing television ever--Season 2 started OK, but at some point --a little over 1/2 way through, we just stopped watching.

The final episode is pretty great, but yeah, the latter half of the season is pretty bleh.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 05:38:18 PM »
There was a fan cut with missing pieces edited in but they were forced to take it down, it may be floating around the web still but nowhere i am willing to get it from.

Ooh, thanks for the tip... I don't mind going down seedy internet alleys... I think I found a copy on emule that I'm gonna try to grab.
Mooohn!

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 08:31:26 PM »
Just watched the extended version.
Mooohn!

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2017, 08:43:26 PM »
OK, so I just watched the first three episodes of this, and here is my general impression so far: I've got really mixed feelings about it. On the one hand it's a great ride. It's definitely Lynchian. In fact, it may be the most Lynchian thing Lynch has ever Lynched. And I am a fan, so that's generally a good thing. The characters are weird, the dialogue is awkward and strange, the shots linger, the effects are cheesy yet somehow surreal and interesting, and everything is completely bizarre. However, I have several problems with it, and it all amounts to "it doesn't feel like Twin Peaks". We do see some of the old characters again, which is great, but most of them are only seen briefly and seemingly gratuitously (so far). But by far my biggest problem is the music; that is, there isn't any, other than some barely audible Lynchian dark ambient drones. The music was a HUGE part of what made the original Twin Peaks what it was. With the new series, all we get are depressing/threatening drones, which makes the entire feel of it very different. Gone are the playful jazzy character-related themes and the thick synthesizer music. I can't for the life of me figure out why they made that decision, and it detracts from my enjoyment of what is otherwise a very interesting surreal series. It's great as a general David Lynch series if you're a fan and can handle Lynch's crazy style, but don't expect to get too much of the old Twin Peaks vibe from this, at least in auditory terms. Gonna watch episode 4 next.

EDIT: Interestingly, there was a bit more music in this one and it immediately transported me back to the original series. I'm wondering if Lynch will bring the music back slowly over time to signify a certain something.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:14:37 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!