Author Topic: Youtube video resumed playing by itself  (Read 497 times)

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
Youtube video resumed playing by itself
« on: January 26, 2017, 03:18:03 PM »
This happened a moment ago.

I had started to play a Youtube video. I paused it and went to my mirror just around the corner (about two meters from the computer) to shave a little. After a while I heard sound from the computer and went back to take a look. Apparently the video had resumed playing by itself.

Is this any sort of danger, or sign of danger? I can't recall this ever happening before.

My browser is Chrome.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Re: Youtube video resumed playing by itself
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 03:45:34 PM »
Did the video have commercials?  That's where I've seen this happen - like the commercial is programmed to come in after x-minutes whether you're playing the video or not.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 04:11:53 PM »
I don't think so. And it was the video itself that had resumed. It was not any commercial that had started.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline Pusher Robot

• Frequent Poster
  • Do you have stairs in your house?
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 08:01:15 PM »
I've seen this happen when the browser tab crashes because of Flash or for whatever reason, and the browser automatically reloads the tab.  The video reloads but the paused state is not retained, so it resumes playback from near where it left off.
A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power off and on.
Knight, seeing what the student was doing, spoke sternly: “You cannot fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no understanding of what is going wrong.”
Knight turned the machine off and on.
The machine worked.

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 08:27:48 PM »
I think it's obvious. You live with a ghost who is impatient about watching the video.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline lubbarin

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 08:29:01 PM »
I think it's obvious. You live with a ghost who is impatient about watching the video.
He's not gonna listen to you, J'sS. He's a skeptic, blind to the truth about our poltergeist friends.
I am in favor of killing all whales on principle. Where is my avalanche of 'provocateur' money?

Offline Jeremy's Sea

• Kintsukuroi, baby.
  • Frequent Poster
  • 667 - Neighbor of the beast.
    • jeremyad [sic]
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 08:31:49 PM »
He's not gonna listen to you, J'sS. He's a skeptic, blind to the truth about our poltergeist friends.
Clearly he's a LPRA (Living People Rights Activist) and a Fleshinist.
Knowledge is power. France is bacon.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 03:03:31 PM »
I've seen this happen when the browser tab crashes because of Flash or for whatever reason, and the browser automatically reloads the tab.  The video reloads but the paused state is not retained, so it resumes playback from near where it left off.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks.

personate-rain