Author Topic: Human-Pig Chimera for Organ Transplants  (Read 245 times)

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Human-Pig Chimera for Organ Transplants
« on: January 26, 2017, 06:30:27 PM »
For the first time, biologists have succeeded in growing human stem cells in pig embryos, shifting from science fiction to the realm of the possible the idea of developing human organs in animals for later transplant.

The approach involves generating stem cells from a patient’s skin, growing the desired new organ in a large animal like a pig, and then harvesting it for transplant into the patient’s body. Since the organ would be made of a patient’s own cells, there would be little risk of immune rejection.

The human-organ-growing pigs would be examples of chimeras, animals composed of two different genomes. They would be generated by implanting human stem cells into an early pig embryo, resulting in an animal composed of mixed pig and human cells.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/science/chimera-stemcells-organs.html
Amend and resubmit.

Offline kendranoelle

• Frequent Poster
Re: Human-Pig Chimera for Organ Transplants
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 03:01:46 AM »
This is nothing more than basic science (and the scientists have said it themselves and have not done the nonsense "10-15+ years" thing). Not knocking on basic science- it's incredibly important but overstating the feasibility is also critical and it's really the media that's overblowing the "human-pig hybrids".

It's a cool idea, but I have so many doubts that it will ever be fruitful- especially with the differences in genome between pigs and humans (the study even shows that the pig blastocyst cells reject a significant portion of the human DNA leading to a very small amount of human DNA being incorporated- which is completely insufficient for what they're trying to do).

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 07:25:55 AM »
This is nothing more than basic science (and the scientists have said it themselves and have not done the nonsense "10-15+ years" thing). Not knocking on basic science- it's incredibly important but overstating the feasibility is also critical and it's really the media that's overblowing the "human-pig hybrids".

It's a cool idea, but I have so many doubts that it will ever be fruitful- especially with the differences in genome between pigs and humans (the study even shows that the pig blastocyst cells reject a significant portion of the human DNA leading to a very small amount of human DNA being incorporated- which is completely insufficient for what they're trying to do).
Do you think its a case of exagerrating for funding or do you think they disagree with your assessment of feasibility?

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 07:48:10 AM »
I think it's a case of a University's PR department doing its job to promote the University.  We've seen it a hundred times: basic research twisted by the PR folks, who need a sexy hook to sell it.  I doubt it's the doing of the scientists themselves.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain