Author Topic: Sequels almost unrelated to the original  (Read 769 times)

Offline drproximo

• Off to a Start
  • fnord
Sequels almost unrelated to the original
« on: January 28, 2017, 04:11:34 PM »
there's been talk of gaps between movies and their sequels, and occasionally there's various discussions of sequels better than originals or sequels that were so terrible they shouldn't have happened. I'm curious about sequels that shouldn't really be called sequels because they seem like a completely different movie that got a few minor rewrites to shoehorn them into a franchise. the main example that comes to mind for me is The Gate. it was one of the first horror movies I was able to watch as a kid, me and my mom went to see it in the theatre. I didn't get around to seeing the sequel until nearly 20 years after it was released, and when I finally did see it I was confused, it felt like a standalone movie that involved characters and locations from the original, but a separate mythology.

other examples?

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Sequels almost unrelated to the original
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 05:49:46 PM »
The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Shock Treatment.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 06:43:26 PM »
The 5th Die Hard movie (A Good Day to Die Hard (2013))

It has been shoe-horned into the franchise.
It feels like a script that has just had the main character's name changed to John Mcclane

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 07:26:04 PM »
Highlanders 2+3.
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
Grease 2

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 08:58:57 PM »

My Rocky group back in the 80s performed ST a few times just for fun. Its no where near as good but the songs are not horrible for a musical.  Its not completely unrelated.

unrelated film sequels...

Halloween 3
10 Cloverfield Lane (sort of)
Dirty Dancing 2
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
β€œDon't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 09:06:57 PM »
Troll 2 may or may not qualify, because it is a name-only sequel, but it at least deserves an honorable mention.

Although it is sold with the original Troll (which was an OK but unremarkable b-movie that had some minor success) as a two-for-one DVD (which I bought), this movie
- was not made with knowledge of anyone who worked on the original Troll.
- did not feature any trolls.
- did feature goblins. The major "plot twist" in this movie is that the name of the town where they're staying, Nilbog - which incidentally is repeatedly misspelled on the back of the UK video rental box as Nilborg - is just goblin spelled backwards!.
- has special effects consisting of a rubber sheet partially covering a hole in the ground covered in green mush to show that people are being turned into vegetables (see below), because apparently goblins are herbivores (the director and his wife got the idea for the movie when several of their friends became vegetarians).
- has some of the worst acting I have ever seen in my life, and I have seen several thousand movies, and went through an extensive "I like bad movies" phase.
- was written by the director and his wife, who only spoke Italian and a minor bit of pidgin English (the costume designer was the only one of the crew who spoke fluent English and translated for the actors). As such it was written in very poor English. When the actors suggested they improvised a bit to make it sound better, he insisted the lines were spoken as written.
- features at least one actor who at the time was mentally ill, and claims he wasn't actually acting, but was rather high as a kite on MJ.
- was sold on VHS featuring a cover on which a boy with a troll doll was being chased by a werewolf, with neither doll nor lycanthrope appearing in the actual film.
- more here.

Mooohn!

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 12:56:11 AM »

My Rocky group back in the 80s performed ST a few times just for fun. Its no where near as good but the songs are not horrible for a musical.  Its not completely unrelated.

It is almost unrelated, which was the question.  :P

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 02:52:45 AM »
House 2 compared to House is the sequal I can think of.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
β€” Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline drproximo

• Off to a Start
  • fnord
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 10:45:25 AM »
Troll 2

- has some of the worst acting I have ever seen in my life, and I have seen several thousand movies, and went through an extensive "I like bad movies" phase.

"They're eating her!  And then they're going to eat me!

Oh my gooooooooooooooood!!!"

I once had a roommate who loved YouTube compilations of iconic scenes from terrible movies, I've been exposed to this one more than a few times.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 10:19:44 PM »
Troll 2 is nigh unwatchable but Best Worst Movie, a documentary about it, is the greatest thing ever.
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 09:35:47 AM »
The 5th Die Hard movie (A Good Day to Die Hard (2013))

It has been shoe-horned into the franchise.
It feels like a script that has just had the main character's name changed to John Mcclane

Ironic because the original Die Hard started life as a sequel to a Sinatra Movie, then a sequel to Commando until it was finally just a stand alone movie. 

I've also read that pretty much all of the Die Hard Sequels were originally stand alone action scripts retooled as sequels. 

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 09:00:01 AM »
Did someone say Blair Witch Project 2?

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline drproximo

• Off to a Start
  • fnord
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 02:54:11 PM »
Did someone say Blair Witch Project 2?
I think that's more of an "unconventional" sequel. instead of taking a generic movie script and shoehorning it into an existing franchise, which is what most of these examples are, the Blair Witch sequel broke the fourth wall - in a different way than the first movie did - and made a movie set in a universe where the first movie is actually a movie, and referred to as a movie. it also addressed the fact that the first movie was pure fiction and presented as if it were actually found footage. neither movie was particularly good, IMO, but I definitely have an appreciation for the blurring of the lines.

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 03:01:27 PM »
I'm going to give honorable mention to the Mad Max sequels.  While clearly related to the original through the character Max Rockatansky, the setting of the sequels is completely different from the original and to a lesser extent the tone.  Goes from dystopia to post-apocalypse. 

So technically doesn't fit in this category but sorta kinda does if you look at it crooked.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 04:31:53 PM »
I'm going to give honorable mention to the Mad Max sequels.  While clearly related to the original through the character Max Rockatansky, the setting of the sequels is completely different from the original and to a lesser extent the tone.  Goes from dystopia to post-apocalypse. 

So technically doesn't fit in this category but sorta kinda does if you look at it crooked.

Yeah, having watched them all recently (the two sequels last night), the first one really isn't what I ever thought of as the Mad Max universe, though there is somehow still a sort of sensible continuity from one to the next.
Mooohn!