Author Topic: requesting skeptical book donations for homeless shelter  (Read 527 times)

Offline drproximo

• Off to a Start
  • fnord
requesting skeptical book donations for homeless shelter
« on: January 29, 2017, 03:19:38 PM »
greetings. I'll preface this by mentioning that I asked about this in the Chat room and was told by a mod that this post was okay.

I'm currently homeless, and the shelter where I usually sleep has a lending library. it's a Christian-run shelter, so there's a certain degree of mysticism/woo that comes along with the Abrahamic faiths, but I also overhear conversations with appalling credulity and conspiracy theory nonsense. I generally don't have the conversational skills or off-the-cuff wit to engage these people and try to set them straight, so I would like to ask if any of you fine folks could donate skeptic-themed books for me to add to the library. I would probably avoid God Is Not Great and The God Delusion, as they are likely to be seen as combative, and would be vandalised or mysteriously disappear, but I won't refuse such donations.

as per advice given to me in the chat room, instead of me including an address here, PM me if you want to make a donation so I can give you the address.

also, this post is not about me, so before I get a bunch of questions about my personal well-being, just know that I currently reside in Calgary, which has decent services and resources for people in need. thanks to the shelter and other organizations, I have never had to sleep "on the streets".

Offline Skeptress

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Arrested for voting.
Re: requesting skeptical book donations for homeless shelter
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 11:41:33 AM »
What about setting up an Amazon wish list?
"The America I loved still exists at the front desks of our public libraries."  -Kurt Vonnegut

Formerly known as funda62.

personate-rain