Author Topic: Body maintenance for a high physical job  (Read 469 times)

Offline Gerbig

• Frequent Poster
  • Stream Crosser
Body maintenance for a high physical job
« on: March 15, 2017, 08:39:46 PM »
Hello all!

I recently took up a job where I am on my feet, heavily physical for 40 hours a week. Ive had jobs before where I was mildly physical (standing for an entire shift etc), but this one requires me to push and pull large industrial metal carts all day.

It is a great job, except for the fact that it is kicking my ass. My feet are sore at the end of the day, my back aches, and my energy levels are very low.

For people who have had jobs like these, can you give me any tips to better care for, protect, and do for my body so it can keep up with the pace of this job? Should I be wearing knee socks to protect my knees? Should I be doing something more to make my feet less sore? Should I be doing any daily/weekly things to make sure my recovery from work is optimal?

Online Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
Re: Body maintenance for a high physical job
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 08:44:11 PM »
Hello all!

I recently took up a job where I am on my feet, heavily physical for 40 hours a week. Ive had jobs before where I was mildly physical (standing for an entire shift etc), but this one requires me to push and pull large industrial metal carts all day.

It is a great job, except for the fact that it is kicking my ass. My feet are sore at the end of the day, my back aches, and my energy levels are very low.

For people who have had jobs like these, can you give me any tips to better care for, protect, and do for my body so it can keep up with the pace of this job? Should I be wearing knee socks to protect my knees? Should I be doing something more to make my feet less sore? Should I be doing any daily/weekly things to make sure my recovery from work is optimal?
I met travel host Rick Steves several years ago and he gave me the walking tip of Ecco shoes. Expensive, and some support better than others, but now I wear nothing but.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 09:44:58 PM »
I was going to suggest these Iron Rangers

http://www.redwingheritage.com/us/USD/mens-footwear

They will hurt like hell for a few weeks then they will be the most comfortable boot you have ever worn, they can be resoled so they are worth the investment. They are the preferred boot worn by set workers (we work 12-16hrs a day on our feet)

for socks I now wear fits, these things are amazing, also worth the investment.

https://www.fitssock.com/

if you dont want those get wool socks at the very least

soak your feet in  a warm epsom salt bath, treat yourself to foot massage
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 11:35:19 PM »
I second Ecco shoes.  I highly recommend their Track 6 GTX, though it's not as good as the old Track 5.

If you need something with a protective toe, then I highly recommend Carolina Boots.  Get some with a welt construction so they can be resoled and treat them right and they may last you the rest of your life.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:41:41 PM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 04:46:56 AM »
Give yourself about 6 weeks to adapt.

Get more sleep than you usually would if possible.

If your feet are sweating alot, use hand sanitiser on them after your shower. Same with your shoes.

Whatever about brand recommendations, find a shoe that suits you and isnt too heavy to haul around. Find good insoles.

Do lots of stretching.

Thats all I got.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 10:20:18 AM by Harry Black »

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 09:47:21 AM »
In college I went from security guard to loading trucks in a food warehouse.   My back ached and I was tired for 2 to three weeks.  After that it was ok.  I was in my 30s, so not the recovery of an 18 year old.  Good shoes, get some rest and wait. 

Offline Simon Jester

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 10:58:11 PM »
The reason I recommend the boots is the high ankle support and cork/leather sole that conforms to your foot over time (much better than those insole things) I'm not big on the rubber bouncy things either. I used to wear doc martins but I would never go back to them now that I experienced a proper sole.  There are a few other brands I have not tried that also have high comfort rankings like Timberland and Thorogood.  I noticed my postman wearing a pair of Redwing Iron Rangers the other day, they do look good in addition to being comfortable and sturdy, men come up to me and say "are those Redwings? LOL I was never expecting men to notice other mens boots but I guess its a thing now.  >:D

The wool socks also made a huge difference. My first thought was that they would be hot and the kind of thing you would wear in the snow but once I tried them I found that was not the case. You can find them in different thicknesses. I really do like the fits the best but I own several brands of wool and will never go back to those nasty cotton gym sock things. When I first started working on set my feet were killing me, (standing around on concrete and or pushing large carts around like your new job) an audio guy recommended the light wool hiking socks and I was stunned at how different the experience was. Then I found the fits which are extraordinary.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 01:09:45 AM »
The reason I recommend the boots is the high ankle support and cork/leather sole that conforms to your foot over time (much better than those insole things) I'm not big on the rubber bouncy things either. I used to wear doc martins but I would never go back to them now that I experienced a proper sole.  There are a few other brands I have not tried that also have high comfort rankings like Timberland and Thorogood.  I noticed my postman wearing a pair of Redwing Iron Rangers the other day, they do look good in addition to being comfortable and sturdy, men come up to me and say "are those Redwings? LOL I was never expecting men to notice other mens boots but I guess its a thing now.  >:D

The wool socks also made a huge difference. My first thought was that they would be hot and the kind of thing you would wear in the snow but once I tried them I found that was not the case. You can find them in different thicknesses. I really do like the fits the best but I own several brands of wool and will never go back to those nasty cotton gym sock things. When I first started working on set my feet were killing me, (standing around on concrete and or pushing large carts around like your new job) an audio guy recommended the light wool hiking socks and I was stunned at how different the experience was. Then I found the fits which are extraordinary.

I used to wear Red Wing boots for backpacking and construction work.  I don't remember them being particularly comfortable or uncomfortable, but they were goddamned indestructible.  I wore the same pair for 10 years. 

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 01:58:42 PM »
I have never had a job that didn't require physicality,  guess.  The key is to be young and fit, which requires a lot of extra work, so make that programme fun, so you will do it.  Wen you get older, expect things to get much harder.  Bummer, really, but if ou haven't planned well, you are stuck, like I am.

But  I have enjoyed doing geophysical exploration, working underground, and thirty odd years of mountain guiding and farming.  I'll die happy, I  hope. I have learned a lot of skills and made a lot of good friends. 
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline Crash

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Dogspeed John Glenn.
    • What I do for fun
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 12:46:50 PM »
I used a lot of work boots.  A good pair of hiking boots will give you support and last a longtime. 
  Foot care is important.  Use a scrap of 100 grit sandpaper to grind callouses off your toes and feet.  A dremel tool works too.  Keep your nails trimmed close.  Callouses and untrimmed nails can aggravate any pain you already have.  See a podiatrist and rule out painful afflictions like hammertoes. 
  Work never gets easier and the days never get shorter.  You can go faster after a while but you get just as tired. 

personate-rain
personate-rain