Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 103638 times)

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #2850 on: October 11, 2016, 06:01:38 AM »
These things are so freaking cool.

wow. he gives zero fucks. no much for the 'more scared of you than you of it' thing.
Quote from: Nietzsche
the inequality of rights is essential to the existence of any rights at all.--A right is a privilege.
Quote from: Ligotti
One cringes to hear scientists cooing over the universe or any part thereof like schoolgirls over-heated by their first crush.

Online Sidewalk Skeptic

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • SidewalkSkeptic
« Reply #2851 on: October 20, 2016, 11:06:27 AM »
Anyone riding TourDeBronx this Sunday ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #2852 on: October 21, 2016, 04:51:06 PM »
 ::)

Amend and resubmit.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2853 on: October 24, 2016, 07:18:19 PM »
Friend of mine had a terrible crash on Saturday - helicoptered out of a rivine; he's lucky somebody on the hiking trail heard him calling because it doesn't get a lot of use.  He was preparing himself for spending the night in there. His hip is "seriously jacked up".  He calls it a life-changing event.  Will probably never ride again, will probably walk with pain for several years until he can get a hip replacement (not sure why they can't do it now).  He was one of the smoothest guys you ever saw on a bike - he made it look so effortless and beautiful.

1.  He posted his story on Facebook and his cycling buddies asked him to take it down before their wives saw it and would make them all quit riding.

2.  He has the same ER orthopedist as I had when I broke my pelvis two years ago; the guy is good, but not a miracle worker.

Amend and resubmit.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2854 on: October 25, 2016, 12:34:41 AM »
Shit happens... and it often sucks.

On a lighter note, I had a really nice ride today.  Made it all the way around the local loop (10.5km) without putting a foot down.  Glad I hadn't heard the above story before the ride!
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2855 on: October 30, 2016, 04:19:02 PM »
I love riding in the rain - as long as visibility is OK and the wind isn't too bad.

Dropped my spare sewup on the way down the mountain, and by the time I got stopped and turned around, some bastard had already absconded with it.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2856 on: November 19, 2016, 06:13:07 PM »
I seem to enjoy these dramatic weather shots the most.  Didn't actually get rained on until I was almost done.

Amend and resubmit.

Offline diessoli

• Brand New
« Reply #2857 on: March 21, 2017, 02:51:22 PM »
What; has nobody started cycling again by now :)?

After nearly 20 years of living somewhere without good cycling opportunities I am now spoiled by them and got my road bike last Nov.
I've been out a few times since then but only now it starts to be real fun.

So get on your bikes and ride.

D.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2858 on: March 21, 2017, 03:54:57 PM »
What; has nobody started cycling again by now :)?

Never stopped.  Slowed down a little bit.

Amend and resubmit.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #2859 on: March 21, 2017, 04:50:50 PM »
I've been trying to bike as much as I can during the winter months (although even at my peak I am not within miiiiiiles of what you guys do) but it's f'ing hard to do in the Windy City (which, by the way, is not named that because of its politicians, it's named that because it gets windy AF in the winter) and downright dangerous once the weather gets below freezing. At that, I wiped out on "my" bike (the city has a bike rental program that I make use of since my own cycle got stolen last Easter) 3 times this winter.

Still, the weather's starting to pick up enough that I'm starting to look forward to figuring out excuses to ride 10 or 15 miles at a time...
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

personate-rain
personate-rain