Author Topic: Produced with genetic engineering  (Read 423 times)

Offline gbabbas

• Brand New
Produced with genetic engineering
« on: March 21, 2017, 02:02:25 PM »
I bought this snack the other day, and then to my surprise noticed that they proudly support GMO! What a nice change of pace from all the anti-GMO labelling.

Online Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: Produced with genetic engineering
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 02:53:17 PM »
Maybe they just sell the product in a place that requires labels and have the some packaging everywhere?

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »
My first thought was "What would be genetically engineered in a salted nut roll?" Then I looked at the website. It's loaded with cheeky descriptions and smart-snark marketing. My guess is they put it on there for that very reason, thinking that it's clever, and seeing what kind of response it would bring.

"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »
It has soy in it, so that must be the GMO ingredient. Has Minnesota passed GMO labelling laws that I didn't hear about?
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 09:44:03 AM »
It has soy in it, so that must be the GMO ingredient. Has Minnesota passed GMO labelling laws that I didn't hear about?
wouldn't have to be minnesota, it could just be somewhere else they sell the things and they figured it'd be cheaper to have a single package for everywhere they sell.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 11:52:09 AM »
Also has corn syrup, which could be the GMO ingredient.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 06:41:07 PM »
Blame Vermont

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/03/27/471759643/how-little-vermont-got-big-food-companies-to-label-gmos

The reason, in a word, is Vermont. The tiny state has boxed big food companies into a corner. Two years ago, the state passed legislation requiring mandatory labeling.

...... And since food companies can't create different packaging just for Vermont, it appears that the tiniest of states has created a labeling standard that will go into effect nationwide.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:44:53 PM by Tassie Dave »

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 09:37:47 AM »
Odd side note, I'm not sure I've ever seen one of those nut rolls until 2 days ago when they showed up at the office vending machine.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 02:15:02 PM »
Odd side note, I'm not sure I've ever seen one of those nut rolls until 2 days ago when they showed up at the office vending machine.

They seem to be available inconsistently and periodically.  My mom loves them, so we were always on the lookout for them when I was younger, and they seemed to be very hard to find.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

personate-rain