Author Topic: The Anti Vaccers are Winning  (Read 966 times)

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
Re: The Anti Vaccers are Winning
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 07:10:59 PM »
Despite being vaccinated, I contracted measles as an adult in late 1994. It was horrible. Terribly bad high fevers (had to sit in shower of cold water to cool down), hallucinations, no sleep for days on end, didn't eat for ~ 10 days. I was suicidal one day. Would not wish it on anyone.

I will always remember the first signs, I abandoned a summer game of golf after a few holes as I felt very ordinary so walked back to clubhouse to sit in the cool while my mates played on. The TV was on and it was the afternoon that Shane Warne got his test hat trick.

I deteriorated in the days following, visited several doctors (including one home visit on evening of NYE) and the hospital emergency (I was convulsing) but no one could work out what was going on until I presented to doctor #4 with the spots, all over my body including inside my mouth. He was an older guy and asked if he could show my symptoms to all the younger staff who had never seen it before, to which I agreed.

I suspect I picked it up during a visit to a local primary school in the week before, during an official visit program at the end of a long stressful and intense work period in a tropical climate and I was so completely knackered I was probably immune compromised.

Offline meppyman

• Triskaidekaphilic
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 03:53:30 AM »
That sounds dreadful Alex!

I have no kids, don't have friends that I spend time with that have babies or kids, and don't even really like babies that much (dogs are way cuter! :D) but I still got my pertussis booster recently. Doctor asked if I was getting it so I could see a someone's new baby, I told them "nope.. just want to help the herd immunity". Apparently that's not that common, which is a shame.

Offline Nemmzy

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 09:40:08 AM »
That is awful Alex. I am glad you recovered and shared your story. These are serious scary illnesss. Not everyone who is vaccinated will get immunity.

I work with several school buildings I will be visiting 7 alone this week. I always worry I could pick something up at one school and spread it to another.

Meppyman

I had the grandparents all get their booster when my first was born. So I am sure it is not unusual for people to walk into doctors offices saying "my kid wont let me see my grandkids until I get this shot". Although, one would think adults would want to stay up on that shot for the tetanus protection.
Also, babies smell better than dogs lol ;) !
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:49:51 AM by Nemmzy »

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 01:35:34 PM »
My beautiful wife and I visited a travel clinic for a trip to Africa and a blood test showed our previous measles vaccinations were no longer up to scratch.  We added the MMR to the list of required and suggested immunisations.
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 07:06:02 PM »
Despite being vaccinated, I contracted measles as an adult in late 1994. It was horrible. Terribly bad high fevers (had to sit in shower of cold water to cool down), hallucinations, no sleep for days on end, didn't eat for ~ 10 days. I was suicidal one day. Would not wish it on anyone.

I will always remember the first signs, I abandoned a summer game of golf after a few holes as I felt very ordinary so walked back to clubhouse to sit in the cool while my mates played on. The TV was on and it was the afternoon that Shane Warne got his test hat trick.

I deteriorated in the days following, visited several doctors (including one home visit on evening of NYE) and the hospital emergency (I was convulsing) but no one could work out what was going on until I presented to doctor #4 with the spots, all over my body including inside my mouth. He was an older guy and asked if he could show my symptoms to all the younger staff who had never seen it before, to which I agreed.

I suspect I picked it up during a visit to a local primary school in the week before, during an official visit program at the end of a long stressful and intense work period in a tropical climate and I was so completely knackered I was probably immune compromised.

That sounds completely evil.

I work for the NHS, and I have had the MMR booster in the last five years. I have moved to a new hospital and they want to give it to me again.

Even with vaccines that work well, like Hep B, you can still have a lower response, so you don't have the antibody titre that is deemed acceptable to confer a quicker response/resistance to the pathogen.

It is only when you have to be tested for antibodies, like hospital workers and Hep B, that you realise that there is a variable response.

I had whooping cough when I was about eight, even though I had been vaccinated. I thought I was going to die a few times as I thought I would never be able to breath I was coughing so hard, and then I would throw up. Measles sounds far worse.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 03:41:50 AM »
And, of course, one's immune system declines with age. 
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon