Author Topic: Episode #605  (Read 2423 times)

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
Re: Episode #605
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2017, 02:30:37 PM »

And for the record, when they weren't talking about Trump before the inauguration, there were a whole pile of people crying "Why aren't you talking about Trump??"

And while we're talking about biases, if political bias is inappropriate, how about bias towards sports fandom? As a long suffering Bills fan, should I complain about them going on for 10 minutes about the Patriots? When will this nightmare end? ;-)

I do complain about them going on for ten minutes about sports at all. The link to skepticism was weak at best. A poor excuse to talk about something as inane as grown men (or women) playing games for the entertainment of people who think it matters if one city's team beats another's.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline fuzzyMarmot

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2017, 07:58:04 PM »
Daniel- I totally disagree! Sports are a wonderful topic for discussion. They provide a great way to discuss probability, statistics, bias, and other concepts that are highly relevant to skepticism.

Like billions of other people, I love sports, even though I acknowledge the baseline inanity. The SGU spends much more time talking about computer games, Halloween costumes, and science fiction. I often feel like an outsider when they discuss these interests, so it is nice to hear them discuss a form of entertainment that is more familiar to me.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Well Established
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2017, 09:45:07 PM »
Daniel- I totally disagree! Sports are a wonderful topic for discussion. They provide a great way to discuss probability, statistics, bias, and other concepts that are highly relevant to skepticism.

Like billions of other people, I love sports, even though I acknowledge the baseline inanity. The SGU spends much more time talking about computer games, Halloween costumes, and science fiction. I often feel like an outsider when they discuss these interests, so it is nice to hear them discuss a form of entertainment that is more familiar to me.

Agreed. As much as I like science, I love when they talk about pop culture or sports. Though I wish they'd talk about sports I like or at least understand a lot better.

I love Bill Shankly's quote (This may be papraphrased, but it does have the gist of the original quote)
"Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that."

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2017, 08:35:47 AM »

I don't like it when they talk about computer games or science fiction/fantasy either. I don't recall hearing them talk at length about Halloween costumes, but I'm sure I didn't like that either. I especially dislike it when they're talking about a science topic and veer off into science fantasy.

I listen because I am fascinated by, and want to learn about, science topics, and I like picking up talking points against pseudoscience.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline 2397

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2017, 09:13:02 AM »
I've thought that it would be nice to have all of the science or fiction segments in a separate list of clips to listen to, one after the other, without having to skip around anything else.

And then that the show could could be split into three parts; science or fiction, interviews, and the rest. But non-skepticism banter might be a category of things as distinct as the first two. Just more difficult to separate out.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2017, 11:16:12 AM »
For me, sports is a respite from the stuff that is really worth worrying about.  It's amazing to me to watch a corner back make a nearly impossible defensive play, or a right fielder throw out a base runner at home plate.  Afterwards, you talk about it with similarly interested people.  Probably two shows out of 52 per year have a few minutes of sports.  It's not a difficult thing to ignore, if you don't like it.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2017, 11:24:30 AM »
I too thought Steve's dismissal, and reasoning for dismissing momentum was not terribly well supported.

Certainly elite superstar athletes are able to control their emotions and keep themselves aware of a wide range of game situations.

But while you can recognize that there is considerable amount of talent just to get on an NFL team, anyone who watches any sport regularly understands that even on a good year, you are lucky to have 10% of your team be the real elite.
And in the NFL, there is a good chance that that 10-20% of your team's roster is made up of players who are lucky to spend 1 year in the league.
By the time playoffs roll around you  are working with a good number of replacement players with little experience in high pressure games.

I think momentum does play a roll--especially when a team goes through a series of plays where what SHOULD have worked, didn't.
And this game did have momentum as a factor. The key difference would be the Patriots coach and Quarterback who were able to make sure that the rank and file kept at it.
The Falcons didn't have that type of leadership or experience, and once they couldn't get stops in the 4th quarter, lost their confidence and let the momentum swing.

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2017, 11:31:26 AM »
For me, sports is a respite from the stuff that is really worth worrying about.  It's amazing to me to watch a corner back make a nearly impossible defensive play, or a right fielder throw out a base runner at home plate.  Afterwards, you talk about it with similarly interested people.  Probably two shows out of 52 per year have a few minutes of sports.  It's not a difficult thing to ignore, if you don't like it.

Same here.

I was never a huge sports fan as a kid, but as an adult I gravitated towards watching them more and more.
Granted most games have a tremendous about of routine action, and it's pretty boring.
Baseball this is often the case (I prefer to listen to games on the radio).
Those hours of "meh" are paid off every once in a while when a game ends up being a gem. It might be a mid-summer game between two teams whose prospects for the post season are uncertain, but all of a sudden great pitching or baserunning and gamesmanship from both teams turns into something that gets your adrenaline pumping.
The unscripted aspect is also notable.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2017, 11:48:48 AM »
I hate sports talk, but I like statistical fallacies talk, and anyway you can't expect to love every topic of discussion and banter on a show as diverse as the SGU.
Mooohn!

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2017, 11:54:39 AM »
Sports are a great opportunity to talk about bad statistical analysis and the failings of common sense and common knowledge.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2017, 01:09:16 PM »
I hate sports talk, but I like statistical fallacies talk, and anyway you can't expect to love every topic of discussion and banter on a show as diverse as the SGU.

Sports talk shows are shit.  They are as bad as political call in shows.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2017, 01:16:02 PM »

All call in shows suck.  NPR's science friday consists of a fascinating interview with an expert in a field of science intermixed with callers' ignorant pet hypothesis that may or may not be related to the topic.  And they've probably got the least ignorant audience of any show on the radio. 

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2017, 01:31:39 PM »

All call in shows suck.  NPR's science friday consists of a fascinating interview with an expert in a field of science intermixed with callers' ignorant pet hypothesis that may or may not be related to the topic.  And they've probably got the least ignorant audience of any show on the radio.

Yes, SciFri could definitely do without the call in portion.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2017, 05:58:07 PM »
I've thought that it would be nice to have all of the science or fiction segments in a separate list of clips to listen to, one after the other, without having to skip around anything else.

And then that the show could could be split into three parts; science or fiction, interviews, and the rest. But non-skepticism banter might be a category of things as distinct as the first two. Just more difficult to separate out.

Science or Fiction is one of my favorite parts of the show. I look forward to it every episode. And I learn stuff. I almost never get it right. I would do better flipping a coin, or always picking number two. But it's fun to try to get it.
Daniel
----------------
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »

All call in shows suck. 

Meh, I dunno.... I like The Atheist Experience, for example. The callers still have ignorant pet hypotheses, but that's kind of the point of the show. In fact, I think if the SGU did a call-in segment, that would be kind of awesome (no longer than 10 minutes at a time, though, the Neal Adams interview still haunts me).
Mooohn!

personate-rain
personate-rain