Author Topic: Possible dam failure, flood, near Sacramento  (Read 1097 times)

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: Possible dam failure, flood, near Sacramento
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 06:39:17 PM »
I will always mention when this comes up, Mulholland, the engineer responsible for St Francis Dam and the theft purchase of the Owens Valley water for LA, was also involved in 2 other dam failures.

Also, not the last time a damn failed in CA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_Hills_Dam_disaster 1963.

FTFY
"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 07:38:52 PM »
A fellow on a Light Sport forum I frequent posted this:

"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •
"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 07:57:33 PM »
I will always mention when this comes up, Mulholland, the engineer responsible for St Francis Dam and the theft of the Owens Valley water for LA, was also involved in 2 other dam failures.

Also, not the last time a damn failed in CA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_Hills_Dam_disaster 1963.
WELL FINE >:(
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 01:50:50 PM »
James Thurber. The day the dam broke.

(click to show/hide)

I'm confused about the purpose of posting that...

I suspect Daniel was just reminded of the story, which is a good one.  I am a big James Thurber fan.  :)
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline daniel1948

• Frequent Poster
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 06:16:28 PM »
James Thurber. The day the dam broke.

(click to show/hide)

I'm confused about the purpose of posting that...

I suspect Daniel was just reminded of the story, which is a good one.  I am a big James Thurber fan.  :)

Yep.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2017, 03:25:54 AM »
Drone footage of both spillways from Saturday:

Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 03:51:38 AM »
Also, the water level has been consistently dropping (despite rainfall) and is currently 850.15 ft.  If they can get through rainy season without any crazy storms, Teethering gets to live they should be fine.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 12:41:29 PM »
Also, the water level has been consistently dropping (despite rainfall) and is currently 850.15 ft.  If they can get through rainy season without any crazy storms, Teethering gets to live they should be fine.

What's happened is that the erosion caused by break in the main spillway has subsided. All the lose soil and earth is gone, so it's stable enough that they can increase the flow and keep the level low.
"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2017, 01:20:00 PM »
Riverbanks collapse after Oroville Dam spillway shut off - San Francisco Chronicle

http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Riverbanks-collapse-after-Oroville-Dam-spillway-10976144.php?cmpid=fb-premium

When state water officials scaled back their mass dumping of water from the damaged Oroville Dam this week, they knew the riverbed below would dry up enough to allow the removal of vast piles of debris from the fractured main spillway.

But they apparently did not anticipate a side effect of their decision to stop feeding the gushing Feather River — a rapid drop in river level that, according to downstream landowners, caused miles of embankment to come crashing down.

With high water no longer propping up the shores, the still-wet soil crashed under its own weight, sometimes dragging in trees, rural roads and farmland, they said.

Offline Crash

• Keeps Priorities Straight
  • Dogspeed John Glenn.
    • What I do for fun
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2017, 03:01:36 PM »
  Interesting that the bedrock appears to be serpentine.  I am familiar with many other places in Butte County with serpentine outcroppings.   All over California, serpentine is ubiquitous and is often associated with earthquake faults.  There was a pretty good quake centered on or near the dam in the summer of 1975. 
  The fix for this disaster will use up a lot of funds just to get back to square one.  Gov Brown's dubious delta water grab might have to wait. After all, a big chunk of the water from Oroville dam goes to LA.  They call it "surplus water" in the LA Times but here in the north we have seen what happened to the Colorado River.  Surplus is water that they are not using yet until it all goes dry. 

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2017, 06:25:32 PM »
Couple of funny things about serpentine, it turns to mud(effectively) if it gets wet and often contains asbestos. 

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2017, 03:42:52 PM »
Couple of funny things about serpentine, it turns to mud(effectively) if it gets wet and often contains asbestos.

Who knew?

Workers at troubled Oroville Dam need dust-control plan after cancer-causing asbestos detected - LA Times

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-oroville-asbestos-20170316-story.html

Asbestos is a common feature of California’s geology, and the risk to workers and the surrounding community is “minimal,” the agency said.

Offline c60Unit

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2017, 09:46:32 PM »
One of the best examples of citizen journalism I've ever seen is a series of reports by 777 pilot Juan Brown Browne who lives near the dam.  He begins each video with a rather detailed update, then goes into a particular topic.  The most recent update was done on the road from San Paulo, Brazil.   I realize now that he does a lot of these reports from a hotel room.  (I indexed past some San Sao Paulo footage at the beginning.)  After the situation update, he goes into the current repairs, including the installation of rockbolts in the main spillway.

https://youtu.be/c16dr9qzlZY?t=2m14s

This episode from March 12 went deep into describing the River Valve Outlet System under the dam.  That starts about 4:56 in.

A really interesting series of reports.

Edited corrections.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 11:06:15 PM by c60Unit »

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2017, 11:21:45 AM »
I think you meant Sao Paulo?

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses