Author Topic: Why is Harrison Ford still flying?  (Read 2375 times)

Offline His Noodliness

• Off to a Start
Re: Why is Harrison Ford still flying?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 11:26:56 AM »

Are you really a pilot?  Mistaking a taxiway for a runway is unforgivable.  Do you really believe it's ok to land on a runway when it's occupied by another aircraft?  If you believe that you deserve to lose your pilot's license.  "Shit happens"?  I hope I never end up flying with you at the controls.

Yeah, I'm really a pilot. Yes, it's unforgivable and I have not made the same mistake again. I only "lined up" with the taxiway for a moment. I'm pretty sure I would have caught my mistake if my brother had not piped up first. Alas, like this Ford case, there was no danger to anything but my pride as there were no other planes in the vicinity. Ford flew his plane 100 feet OVER the airliner rather than 100 feet BESIDE the airliner--same risk to the passengers on the airliner. It's a big damn jet siting on the runway. Quite easy to not run into.

I'm sure he feels like a complete idiot but, again, there was NO ADDITIONAL RISK to anyone one the ground. I'm sure this happens all the time but no one knows about it until an A-list celebrity makes this mistake.

If you've ever done something stupid, you'd understand.

Bottom line is that

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 12:36:07 PM »
Wow, this was a lot worse than the initial new report.
I agree with Clunn, which makes me feel all weird inside.

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 12:56:15 PM »

Are you really a pilot?  Mistaking a taxiway for a runway is unforgivable.  Do you really believe it's ok to land on a runway when it's occupied by another aircraft?  If you believe that you deserve to lose your pilot's license.  "Shit happens"?  I hope I never end up flying with you at the controls.

Yeah, I'm really a pilot. Yes, it's unforgivable and I have not made the same mistake again. I only "lined up" with the taxiway for a moment. I'm pretty sure I would have caught my mistake if my brother had not piped up first. Alas, like this Ford case, there was no danger to anything but my pride as there were no other planes in the vicinity. Ford flew his plane 100 feet OVER the airliner rather than 100 feet BESIDE the airliner--same risk to the passengers on the airliner. It's a big damn jet siting on the runway. Quite easy to not run into.

I'm sure he feels like a complete idiot but, again, there was NO ADDITIONAL RISK to anyone one the ground. I'm sure this happens all the time but no one knows about it until an A-list celebrity makes this mistake.

If you've ever done something stupid, you'd understand.

Bottom line is that

No. The bottom line is that he got lucky. He landed on a taxiway. He missed the 737, but there could have been other aircraft or even ground vehicles cleared to go on to that same taxiway at that moment.

There was incredible risk.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2017, 01:21:13 PM »

I wasn't blaming you for mistakenly lining up with the taxiway.  I am blaming you for attempting to excuse Ford for possibly thinking it was ok to fly over another plane on the runway and land on beyond it. That is not ok, safe, or legal.  Can he miss hitting it?  Of course.  But that's not the point at all.  What if the pilot on the ground really was on the runway, and was confused, thinking he had been cleared for takeoff; didn't see Ford's plane, and started his takeoff run?

Offline bimble

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 01:38:23 PM »

I wasn't blaming you for mistakenly lining up with the taxiway.  I am blaming you for attempting to excuse Ford for possibly thinking it was ok to fly over another plane on the runway and land on beyond it. That is not ok, safe, or legal.  Can he miss hitting it?  Of course.  But that's not the point at all.  What if the pilot on the ground really was on the runway, and was confused, thinking he had been cleared for takeoff; didn't see Ford's plane, and started his takeoff run?

Of course, Ford was under the impression that he'd been told it was ok by air traffic control as he had been cleared to land and as he was under the impression he was lined up on the runway and not the taxiway. That is probably why he thought it was ok.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Seasoned Contributor
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2017, 01:48:05 PM »
If he had been on the correct path he still would have been 500 feet from the airliner, right? And if he didn't plan on going kikusui then he wouldn't have hit it when he was 500 feet above it.

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 02:05:40 PM »

Of course, Ford was under the impression that he'd been told it was ok by air traffic control as he had been cleared to land and as he was under the impression he was lined up on the runway and not the taxiway. That is probably why he thought it was ok.

It is neither ok, safe, or legal for a pilot to land over the top of another aircraft occupying the runway.  It doesn't matter whether he was cleared to land or not.  The pilot has the final responsibility in this situation.  He absolutely should have aborted the landing and gone around.

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 02:10:24 PM »
Is it possible that he had never landed there before? John Wayne Airport only has two runways, one 150' wide and one 75'. ATC told him 20L the smaller of the two, but if he landed on the taxiway even further left, he was landing right next to the terminal. If he landed on the far right, he was way out of sorts.

My only experience with flying is Microsoft Flight Simulator and I always flew out of Midway, because I liked buzzing the buildings of downtown Chicago.

"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline estockly

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 02:50:32 PM »
Is it possible that he had never landed there before? John Wayne Airport only has two runways, one 150' wide and one 75'. ATC told him 20L the smaller of the two, but if he landed on the taxiway even further left, he was landing right next to the terminal. If he landed on the far right, he was way out of sorts.

I don't think that's likely he's never landed there before. It's a pretty busy airport for general aviation in a fairly affluent area and he's a very active pilot.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 03:37:14 PM »
Posted to another forum that in 2009, Delta landed a 767 on a taxiway at Atlanta.

That would have been with two pilots.

Link: http://avherald.com/h?article=42187f22

Again, no one has said Ford's violation was not serious or worthy of discipline. Only that these things do happen and it's a bit premature to jump to age-related cognitive decline or stupidity as a cause.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 03:39:39 PM by Fast Eddie B »
"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •
"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Offline jt512

• Well Established
    • jt512
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2017, 10:58:57 PM »

He landed on taxiway C, according to a pilot forum, which is the taxiway to the left of runway 20L.

Let's play a game.  How many people can find runway 20L in this photograph of John Wayne airport?

Still confused?  How about now?

Offline David "Stubb" Oswald

• Ass. Professor of Agronomy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Lived, perspicacious, philosophic wisdom.
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2017, 11:04:27 PM »
I could see it happening. Let the FAA decide the consequences.
If you read a book and it changes your life, you are fucked. -Seth Romatelli

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2017, 07:20:49 AM »
Also from an aviation forum:

Allegedly the actual landing:

And a good guess at the approximate touchdown point:

It's assumed the jet was holding short of 20L, at the red lines. Quite the mistake on Ford's part, and the average pilot would likely face some sort of disciplinary action. But those worrying about a "near miss" are exaggerating quite a bit. It not at all unusual to overfly or pass nearby holding aircraft while on a final approach to landing.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 08:01:14 AM by Fast Eddie B »
"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 07:26:18 AM »
For those curious, what a pilot should familiarize himself with prior to landing at KSNA:

• • •

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2017, 07:48:07 AM »
I could see it happening. Let the FAA decide the consequences.

Looking at those pictures of the coloring of the runway and taxiway next to it. I can kind of see how you could mistake the two, if you had never landed there before and not looked at the diagram. I liken this to my driving into Chicago maybe three times a year, I'm pretty familiar with down town and the loop, so this time I want to get on lake shore drive, but somehow end up on 41 south instead. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it would be a real lapse in attention.
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

personate-rain