Author Topic: IMDB shutting down their message boards  (Read 216 times)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
IMDB shutting down their message boards
« on: February 15, 2017, 02:15:44 PM »
Is anyone else here active on IMDB? The message boards there closing really upsets me. I've been on that site and those boards since at least 2002. I mostly use the site for the message boards and my own ratings (and maybe look up a movie maker's other works). The discussions I had on the board for Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed with creationists prompted me to renew my interest in science and skepticism, which lasts until this day. It's how I found the SGU. It may sound weird, but in a very real sense, the IMDB message boards literally changed my life and my outlook on the world and the way I view myself in very profound ways. It's true that there were some popular boards that were infested with trolls (which they claim is why they're shutting them down), but there were very many interesting discussions and facts there. It seems incredibly wasteful.

Offline seamas

• Well Established
Re: IMDB shutting down their message boards
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 05:22:31 PM »
It's funny.

I only just registered and started participating on their boards in the last 4 weeks or so.

I did happen to see some very unfortunate commentary regarding Hidden Figures.
Bunch of people who simply had a giant racist axe to grind. Disturbing.

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 05:25:48 PM »
Wow.

I just checked out the Expelled message boards.

What a mess.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 06:30:31 PM »
Wow.

I just checked out the Expelled message boards.

What a mess.

I haven't really been to that board in a long time, but yeah, it was pretty bad (but then, what else could we expect from one of the most notorious ID "documentaries" of all time?). But I've had some actually informative discussions (mostly with people on the fence who just wanted to learn about evolution, or with some of the friendlier creationists), some really frustrating ones, and some insane and hilarious ones - like the time a creationist named OriginalBigWhite argued that Adam and Eve must have had tails to explain atavistic tails. Or when a crazy little dude named Navaros chastised us for thinking of God's penis as that of a human's. That last one was forever enshrined in fstdt:

No, God's Penis is not a biological organ. I never said God's Penis was the same as man's penis. Obviously it wouldn't be. That is why I pointed out God has a Holy, Righteous Penis. That is to say, it's not the same as man's corrupted, fleshy one.

As I said when this subject first came up, once again: Penises are not just for sex & peeing. It is only because man is evil that he thinks of penises exclusively in those terms.

Man is made in the image of God the Father. That is the primary reason why man has a penis.

You cannot insert your evil prejudicial ideas of man's penis onto God - which is exactly what you are doing. God's Penis is not equal to man's penis. It's really not hard to understand.

-- Navaros, IMDB 335 Comments [5/15/2009 11:46:44 AM]
(Emphasis mine.)

And then there was the flamboyantly gay fundamentalist Knight_In_Black_Leather (who, if he was a troll, was one of the most persistent ones I've ever seen), who figured he wouldn't go to hell as long as he didn't actually have sex with a man.

Mostly, though, those discussions drove me to try to understand denialism, religion, and belief systems, as well as to learn more about evolution, cosmology, abiogenesis, and geology. I learned a lot about human psychology even from the frustrating and hilarious ones. We frequently chatted with a fiercely atheistic Iranian guy who, one evening during the Arab spring uprisings, told us he was going out to protest and that he might be killed or imprisoned (unfortunately I never saw him again). And there were some scientists and science lovers posting there as well. At one point I wrote a 40 page summary of an abiogenesis teaching company course I took (and related reading) in response to one of those discussions, for interested third parties, and that was actually one of the first things I posted here after I started listening to the SGU. And I only found the SGU because someone on IMDB linked to one of the episodes because of their discussions on creationism.

That message board did leave me with two tics, though; 1) a tendency to edit my posts repeatedly, and 2) a complete inability to write short posts; in both cases because I always had to be very precise in those discussions in order to not let the thread devolve into an issue of semantics.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 06:39:32 PM by werecow »
Mooohn!